Diablo® III

Does the Witchdoctor seem out of place?

100 Night Elf Priest
WD is my least played toon. Just seems a bit to slow paced(for me) of a toon. Haven't really thought of how I would like it changed, as it's was the least of my played toons.

It is an interesting concept.

Well now that I thought about it for a minute... Maybe it's the long CD's before being able to resummon pets. How fast the mana is dumped. I currently running a petless build and in the 30's. It just seems more like a support class compared to the rest.
Reply Quote
I love the witch doctor and all his spells. He's a great character that really helps expand the Diablo universe.

I think whenever people create fictional worlds, they have a tendency to typecast places too much. So you have the Desert world, or you have the Ice World, or you have the Jungle World. Within each of these worlds there seems to be just a monoculture that is everywhere.

However, when you look at Earth what do you see? A place with many different climates and millions of various cultures. I'm glad that Blizzard didn't decide to turn Sanctuary into a clone of medieval Europe + magic.
Reply Quote
One of the WD's points was for people who wanted the necromancer playstyle. All the game "comercials" and game guides suggest him as the poison, fear, pets kinda play style.

From someone who already reached inferno act2, its just not true. Pets get completly destroyed in 1-2 hits from standard mobs. We are talking Gargantuan here, dogs are even worse. If you want to play WD in inferno, it plays nothing like a Necromancer/warlock type, and you just can't use pets. Now to consider that a BIG CHUNCK of spells and passives are completly related to pets, and therefor completly useless in inferno.

Want to try and be an off tank? go right ahead, go full armor shield and all resistances, do ALOT LESS dmg than any tank class, and you still wont be able to off tank anything in inferno, neither you nor one of your pets.

That being said, you want to destroy bosses? WD can do it, like any other ranged well equiped class. Survivability? its not as "controlable" as a DH or a WIZ, but yeah you can do it too. You just cant play WD as a necromancer/warlock pet master kinda of thing, nor can you tank or off tank, you dont have the tools for it.

I already "rerolled", as I was one expecting for the "pet" playstyle to be fun, but it really comes to an end before you reach the end of act 4 Hell. Inferno and WD with pets, doesn't work atm.
Reply Quote
Just feels weird that a character built around dark voodoo magic seems to be the nicest guy in the world :/.
The witch doctor has lots of friends, gets to meet interesting people, and rarely has to do work himself. Aside from the horrible horrible evil, it makes sense that he'd be pretty chill.
Edited by Bobucles#1228 on 5/31/2012 11:03 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Interesting!

Are you referring to how the witch doctor looks (physical appearance + armor options) or how the hero interacts with other characters in the game and progresses with the story arc? Or is it all about gameplay, and what spells the witch doctor has in its arsenal?

This is just anecdotal, but I've experimented with all five classes on various genders, too, and the witch doctor (female) is my absolute favorite in terms of how she engages with the main the characters and responds to conflict, so I'm curious about what just doesn't "click" for you.

/eagerly waiting your response

I have to sort of agree with the OP. All the classes feel very medieval, diablo-ish. Warrior, Rogue, Sorcerer, Sorceress, Amazon(which in name, doesn't, but in their style of using a bow like the rogue), Druid, Assassin, Paladin, Necromancer, Demon Hunter, Barbarian, Wizard, Monk...Witch Doctor. Just seems strange to me. Although I do think he is very unique, I do wish he was more fun to play(the mana resource is so annoying), as I think he is pretty cool in normal difficulty.

Actually I'd say a witch doctor makes more sense than a necromancer in a medieval or non-game classic archetype sense. Just think back to Indiana jones, Gilligans Island, etc - witch doctors popped up all over and heck the whole of the Americas originally vibed rather close to the witch doctor theme. Necromancers however are very christian spinoff as a concept, or possibly are just a narrowly defined WD.
Reply Quote

The pets become negligible in Hell+ it seems. Mana is a much more frustrating resource than those of the other classes even though it is the same resource as D2 and other ARPGs. Half of the spells seem like jokes. Raining frogs? A tower of zombies that topple over onto enemies? Throwing Snakes and Jars of Spiders at people? Now, I'm not saying these are necessarily bad things but damn they seem out of place when the world is is in peril and you have Barbarians cleaving demons in half with giant swords while the WD is doing a rain dance to make frogs splatter over the ground.

Hmm, my pets tank in hell. Not doing too well in inferno though. I think the spells are awesome. I love the frogs etc.
Reply Quote
I love the witchdoctor because it is different from the other classes.
Reply Quote
After playing a little bit of every class, I have found that the Witchdoctor seems really out of place in this game, as if he doesn't belong at all

Anyone else feel this way?

Interesting!

Are you referring to how the witch doctor looks (physical appearance + armor options) or how the hero interacts with other characters in the game and progresses with the story arc? Or is it all about gameplay, and what spells the witch doctor has in its arsenal?

This is just anecdotal, but I've experimented with all five classes on various genders, too, and the witch doctor (female) is my absolute favorite in terms of how she engages with the main the characters and responds to conflict, so I'm curious about what just doesn't "click" for you.

I love the way the witch doctor interacts with other characters as well. Specifically with the templar/scoundrel and covetous shen.
Reply Quote
After playing a little bit of every class, I have found that the Witchdoctor seems really out of place in this game, as if he doesn't belong at all

Interesting!

Witch Doctor was my second class to really level, and I love their playstyle. It is very different (out of place, I guess?), but I enjoy it.

What's really feels genuinely off is just their persona. He lacks the character the other classes have. Barbarian is this grizzled veteran who has seen the works of hell before. Wizard has the interesting character of this really pompous arrogant child who his/her teachers cannot stand (but who is truly talented). etc.

Witch Doctor, now, is just this really nice guy (judging by how he talks to the blacksmith and other characters) who got exiled for not really explained reasons.

I think I recall hearing that designers were worried about him having a negative reputation by giving him a personality like the necro's. I think it went too far and now he doesn't really have the same sort of character as the other classes.

Edit: I like how eccentric his casting animations/sounds are, but I would have liked his character to be a little more eccentric as well.
Edited by TheShatner#1909 on 5/31/2012 11:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I play a Witch Doctor in inferno just fine. But I have to agree, summons need to be buffed. I have pretty decked out gear, but even with that, my summons still can't do anything. And in order to solo Inferno, I can only use one build.. which is, spirit walk, soul harvest, zombie chargers (bears), and hex / fetish army.
Reply Quote
Interesting!

It's the abilities.

The summons are too nature-based and not enough necro-based. Like, Spider Jars? Really? Is this National Geographic? Just replace it with the Necromancer and everything will be resolved.

Also his sounds are absolutely god awful. If there is a WD in my party I turn off the audio on the game and listen to music or TV instead. Some moaning, rambling, spider-throwing joke you guys got on your hands.

The WD should have dark abilities. Poison darts and spiders :(

... he has some decent necro abilities but make him full necro for god's sake and be done with it. I know you didn't want D3 to be a direct port of D2 but the WD is a class I'm glad to not have in my party because it just doesn't fit. It makes your game feel like an RLStine Goosebumps choose your story novel or something for Christsakes.
Reply Quote
I admit my experience with the WD is extremely, extremely limited, but from the comments I'm reading here and the impressions I got from reading his tooltips, the WD just does not pan out as a solo character. If you build squishy blow-things-up, you explode the instant anything touches you back. If you compromise to a half tank DPS caster, you don't do either thing well enough to get by.

I wonder though if people are looking at the WD wrong. The more I think about it, the more the WD feels like playing a Support in League of Legends -- protect everyone around you through the use of your heavy CC, and they all live long enough to make everything else explode. Perhaps its worth testing different class combinations in Coop, and seeing if the combinations involving WDs have higher survivability and faster clears than those without.

I have a feeling though, the WD will be an absolute hard counter to the DH when PvP comes out. Sure, the DH can just dodge everything (lolVault), but if he gets hit by a single CC, he's dead.
Reply Quote
05/30/2012 04:15 PMPosted by Drizzle404
i asked the witch doctor for his opinion, and all he said was "oo ee, oo ah ah. ting, tang, wadda wadda bing bang"

I LOLD
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest
It would be awesome if my left click would generate mana instead of keep losing it. I wonder how much Wizard would be if signature spells depleted AP, especially if AP regenerated slowly and depended upon keeping your spells on CD so you can cast your right click. Yea, I bet that would be fun.

The WD seems out of place because he's poorly designed from an end game perspective. The Witch Doctor page displays that he's supposed to be a pet user with summons who destroy opponents. I'm lucky if my dogs last more than 3 seconds against an elite pack in hell, PRETTY sure the Monks Ally has more use than my pets, since his doesn't even have a CD.

As far as the story goes though, every character has a huge loop hole as most of them believe in entirely different religions than the high heavens. For instance, even the Monk believes in Ytar...so...i dont know why the monk cares if the high heavens are destroyed if he believes in a completely different God.

Fix the mana resource, Fix Vision Quest, Left Clicks either generate mana or don't cost mana, and finally, fix pets to either have a high mana cost and very low CD, or increase their life dramatically. Simple as that.
Edited by LATEXCOWBOY#1411 on 5/31/2012 12:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Interesting!

I have a female witch doctor as well and thoroughly enjoyed all of her character interactions. Especially her interaction with Covetous Shen which made me giggle like a madman. After I started to progress into nightmare though and my dogs just weren't doing their job properly and I had to switch my build around to handle a lot of the elites it just kind of lost its fun for me and instead became a boring and repetitive game of kite and poison dart while spirit walking and soul harvesting to keep myself alive and my damage up enough to take them down. I was also really disappointed with the worthlessness of the Toad of Hugeness which I fantasized constantly about while leveling to get it. It became a really disappointing experience for the class I anticipated playing the most.
Reply Quote
The only odd thing to me is when you're a few dungeons deep in an old cathedral and a skeleton drops a voodoo mask... eh? But I get over it. :P
05/31/2012 07:42 AMPosted by Sorenia
The only problem is that he's supposed to be a Nephalem? That doesn't make any sense. He's got his own spiritual thing going on already. Same for the monk to some degree.

I'm confused, what does his faith have to do with his ability to be a Nephalem?
I thought Nephalem-ism was basically a genetic disorder?
Also his faith in the Unformed Land doesn't mean he can't accept the hells or heavens exist? You don't need to revere it to believe it, he just places his faith in something else...
TBH so would I if I visited theheavens only to see it torn up by the hells anyway.

...What's really feels genuinely off is just their persona. He lacks the character the other classes have. Barbarian is this grizzled veteran who has seen the works of hell before. Wizard has the interesting character of this really pompous arrogant child who his/her teachers cannot stand (but who is truly talented). etc.

Witch Doctor, now, is just this really nice guy (judging by how he talks to the blacksmith and other characters) who got exiled for not really explained reasons.

That's one of the things I liked about him actually. I'm a bit tired of steroid-pumping grizzled veterans or super powerful emo's.
This guy is an enlightened/spiritual-warrior who fights for what is right because it's worth fighting for. Him and the Monk are the only guys who strike me as having "good" motivations for fighting the demons tbh. The others are a bit too self motivated.
Edited by Erfivur#2632 on 5/31/2012 12:31 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]