Diablo® III

Does the Witchdoctor seem out of place?

View profile
Here's my response:

It doesn't feel right with the skills given and playstyle required at endgame inferno.

Indeed.

I'm in Act I of Inferno as a WD and I honestly can't stand it because of how clunky the playstyle feels to me. Vision Quest and Zombie Bears build is so bland but it's the only viable spec in Inferno apparently, and even then you have to be very well geared for it so you don't get one shot by random mobs.

Edit:

Or darts spam spec... kite around for 10 years doing a lot of single-target damage but being bored to death.
Edited by PepeDeAfrica#1403 on 5/31/2012 12:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
After playing a little bit of every class, I have found that the Witchdoctor seems really out of place in this game, as if he doesn't belong at all

Anyone else feel this way?

Interesting!

Are you referring to how the witch doctor looks (physical appearance + armor options) or how the hero interacts with other characters in the game and progresses with the story arc? Or is it all about gameplay, and what spells the witch doctor has in its arsenal?

This is just anecdotal, but I've experimented with all five classes on various genders, too, and the witch doctor (female) is my absolute favorite in terms of how she engages with the main the characters and responds to conflict, so I'm curious about what just doesn't "click" for you.

/eagerly waiting your response

I think he means..... Whenever people talk about classes, you see Barb/Monk for tanking, or Wiz/DH for DPS.... What does a Witch Doctor DO? Doesn't feel as if they can do anything as effectively as another class.
Reply Quote
After playing a little bit of every class, I have found that the Witchdoctor seems really out of place in this game, as if he doesn't belong at all

Anyone else feel this way?

Interesting!

Are you referring to how the witch doctor looks (physical appearance + armor options) or how the hero interacts with other characters in the game and progresses with the story arc? Or is it all about gameplay, and what spells the witch doctor has in its arsenal?

This is just anecdotal, but I've experimented with all five classes on various genders, too, and the witch doctor (female) is my absolute favorite in terms of how she engages with the main the characters and responds to conflict, so I'm curious about what just doesn't "click" for you.

The entire character ability arsenal seems like comic relief.
Reply Quote
05/30/2012 06:30 PMPosted by Vranx
It doesn't feel right with the skills given and playstyle required at endgame inferno.

You cant reach diablo 3 End game in the second week, sory but Diablo 3 is not meant to be rushed

Funny i currently have 2 characters end game atm.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
The only thing that bothers me about the witch doctor is that he appears to be struck with a severe case of palsy. Hate watching him shake.
Reply Quote
05/30/2012 06:30 PMPosted by Vranx
You cant reach diablo 3 End game in the second week, sory but Diablo 3 is not meant to be rushed

I agree with the play style of not rushing however there are quite a few people who had reached D3 endgame by the 3rd day after release.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warlock
I think the main issue is the Witch Doctor is the only pet based class and as such at the very least it should be able to use pets as supports. The thing is you just can't reliably use your pet as a support. On later difficulties the enemies bend over your Garg and go to town on him while whispering softly in his ear... then they kill him and it's a waste. The pets scale poorly. They should scale directly and ONLY with level and scale well. They are weak and useless currently compared to basically any other playstyle.

EDIT : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SzE08aInn4
Edited by Frogly#1140 on 5/31/2012 12:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Should have made him a priest. It would have fit the lore better and made more sense, he could have summoned divine entities and used holy attacks.
Reply Quote

Interesting!

I have to sort of agree with the OP. All the classes feel very medieval, diablo-ish. Warrior, Rogue, Sorcerer, Sorceress, Amazon(which in name, doesn't, but in their style of using a bow like the rogue), Druid, Assassin, Paladin, Necromancer, Demon Hunter, Barbarian, Wizard, Monk...Witch Doctor. Just seems strange to me. Although I do think he is very unique, I do wish he was more fun to play(the mana resource is so annoying), as I think he is pretty cool in normal difficulty.

This is exactly the way I feel about Witch Doctor 100%

I too wish he was more fun to play, zombie dogs are always on cooldown and never alive. A lot of his spells require you to run into melee range. Prime example: Soul Harvest has such a short range. Why do I have to run into melee to boost my intellect so that I can be good at ranged? Totally ridiculous spell design.
Edited by Mathemagic#1687 on 5/31/2012 12:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
The witchdoctor does seem out of place in Diablo 3. The class feels as dark and evil as the demons we are supposed to be vanquishing. I started one and only got her to level 6 before I decided that it was not for me.

Maybe it was the giant jars of spiders that she was pulling from...somewhere.

Having said that, I may someday, try again to level one.

Someday.

Maybe.
Edited by ScaryMutt#1956 on 5/31/2012 12:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
When the game was about to come out and the open beta started, the first 2 chars i really was interested were the Demon Hunter and the Witch Doctor, DH is a total blast, as i thought the double source make it interesting and really versatile, but then i took the WD, it feel it like, you want to be a necromancer, but then your single spells were a failure.

Using spider jars for what? aoe? I mean if in a beta and taking to lvl 13 the char feels weird or incomplete by the way the skills are, i don¿t see the point to wait for maybe level 40 , when all the other classes feels right on that first levels.

After all if you fight with pets you are suppose to range it right?, but then you really are suppose to aoe with the hands stuff and jars? it feels like.. a throwing class?
Reply Quote
At least they didn't add in a hunter class who uses a gun!

The witch doctor doesn't seem in place with the time style of the rest of the characters. Witch doctors for the most part are thought to be like in south america. The setting of diablo seems more like middle east, lower europe, and maybe even crossing into asia. At least that's my take on about the settings in terms of real life environments. Granted they aren't based on real life locations but it just a comparison of how the witch doctor doesn't really fit in my opinion.

There are some witch doctors in the locations I mentioned but not really from perspective wise making sense to some. It would have been better to have been called more like a nomad / medicine man. Similar effect but might fit better?

the expansion will probably end up having a class that's like a priest who can use healing spells, summon an angel or demon, drain life, use a spell to make it that heal spells injure, and so forth. A class like that would fit.
Reply Quote
I admit my experience with the WD is extremely, extremely limited, but from the comments I'm reading here and the impressions I got from reading his tooltips, the WD just does not pan out as a solo character. If you build squishy blow-things-up, you explode the instant anything touches you back. If you compromise to a half tank DPS caster, you don't do either thing well enough to get by.

I wonder though if people are looking at the WD wrong. The more I think about it, the more the WD feels like playing a Support in League of Legends -- protect everyone around you through the use of your heavy CC, and they all live long enough to make everything else explode. Perhaps its worth testing different class combinations in Coop, and seeing if the combinations involving WDs have higher survivability and faster clears than those without.

I have a feeling though, the WD will be an absolute hard counter to the DH when PvP comes out. Sure, the DH can just dodge everything (lolVault), but if he gets hit by a single CC, he's dead.

WD is a very powerful class. I can solo fine. Most people don't know how to play the game yet.
Reply Quote
Not so out of place. Reminds me of the guy at port kurust in d2, with the dagger of mojo or whatever the heck it was called. Oromus or something was the guys name, talked in the 3rd person?

I like him, but voodoo medicine is typically a bit more gross and scary, and this guy is always upbeat and cheerful. His personality is just too darn happy for his line of work. ????
Reply Quote
I'll miss my bone necro from D2 dearly, but I don't have any problems with the witch doctor. I haven't played one very much but they're definitely the rarest class out there, and I always enjoy joining a group with a WD because the spells they use are the most animated and colorful in the game. Also they provide some nice buffs, I especially like the attack speed aura from that troll thing they drop.
Reply Quote
I just started inferno with my WD im kinda feeling the same thing. My problems with the class are:
1. Nearly all of your effective abilities are medium range
2. you have to stop moving to cast your damaging spells (fire bats, zombie charger, spirit barrage, haunt, firebomb, locusts etc..)
3. If you get too far away from your enemies your minions will teleport to you, lets say you pop fetish army in the middle of a horde then spirit walk out of them, suddenly your fetish army is standing around you, wasting time, then they go run back to the army chasing you.
4. Your minions have very little HP on inferno

So what ends up happening is you run up to a group of mobs to get in range of your abilites, stop moving to cast a spell, get a portion of your spell of doing a minute amount of damage then either getting hit and having to get away or just being surrounded and having to move away. The whole feel of the class is off to me. Your not a warrior but your not really ranged either because all of your abilities only reach so far. The few that can reach far arnt really that good.

Edit: What i think could be done is just to simply give the range of certain abilites a few more yards and increase the amount of distance you can get from your enemy without your minions coming back to you. also tossed in reason 4.
Edited by Stonesoft#1564 on 5/31/2012 1:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]