Diablo® III

Does the Witchdoctor seem out of place?

88 Orc Death Knight
05/30/2012 04:15 PMPosted by PVStar
Is it because he's black?

LOL!
Reply Quote
I think the main thing with the Witch Doctor is the inability to really use any type of weapon at all. We really only have the weapon equipped for its other effects, but does the Witch Doctor really every use that weapon? I don't think so. Every other class you actually use the weapons you have equipped and with the WD that doesn't seem to be the case. I love crowd control classes, but the WD has basically no melee or any type of weapon usage...seems a little strange.
Reply Quote
I just started inferno with my WD im kinda feeling the same thing. My problems with the class are:
1. Nearly all of your effective abilities are medium range
2. you have to stop moving to cast your damaging spells (fire bats, zombie charger, spirit barrage, haunt, firebomb, locusts etc..)
3. If you get too far away from your enemies your minions will teleport to you, lets say you pop fetish army in the middle of a horde then spirit walk out of them, suddenly your fetish army is standing around you, wasting time, then they go run back to the army chasing you.

So what ends up happening is you run up to a group of mobs to get in range of your abilites, stop moving to cast a spell, get a portion of your spell of doing a minute amount of damage then either getting hit and having to get away or just being surrounded and having to move away. The whole feel of the class is off to me. Your not a warrior but your not really ranged either because all of your abilities only reach so far. The few that can reach far arnt really that good.

I'm only half way through Hell with my WD, but I've found Dire Bat to be a great long range and good dmg ability. It's too bad that I have to kill all those bats, but it is in the service of a higher cause. ;)
Reply Quote
Im playing female WD and loving it but at the same time that class does feel out of place because there is no background story, areas or npcs that seem to relate back to your char. I feel like im the only WD in the game world, u never see an area that she would come from, never heard of any kind of lore or see any chars that know anything about it. They Needed to have some reference to kurast where the WD is presumably from. Maybe a cameo from Ormus (D2) just for one quest or something. I felt like the WD came out of nowhere.

The class abilities on the other hand fit perfectly, very imaginative imo. but the same 2 problems keep coming up.
#1 u are limited in your whole arsenal to 2 offensive spells to succeed in inferno (Darts / VQ bears ) Ive tried and am still trying to come up with something different that works with diff spells. Bats and Skulls are viable but dont have the power of the bears
#2 Pets are pretty much paper shields once u get halfway through Hell. I thought the whole point of this class was to be abel to run Pet specs for those who loved the necro/druid builds from D2. Something needs to be done to scale the defenses of the Pet in inferno so they can tank for more than 1 second. Our Class is completely broken because even if u want to, u cant beef up your pets in any way to make them effective. Like i said either have them scale specifically in hell/inferno or maybe implement that your pets defensive stats somehow scale from your characters personal stats or maybe give them equip options like followers. In any case this is what needs to be done IMO.
Reply Quote
i was mowing everything down until inferno
Reply Quote
I just started inferno with my WD im kinda feeling the same thing. My problems with the class are:
1. Nearly all of your effective abilities are medium range
2. you have to stop moving to cast your damaging spells (fire bats, zombie charger, spirit barrage, haunt, firebomb, locusts etc..)
3. If you get too far away from your enemies your minions will teleport to you, lets say you pop fetish army in the middle of a horde then spirit walk out of them, suddenly your fetish army is standing around you, wasting time, then they go run back to the army chasing you.

So what ends up happening is you run up to a group of mobs to get in range of your abilites, stop moving to cast a spell, get a portion of your spell of doing a minute amount of damage then either getting hit and having to get away or just being surrounded and having to move away. The whole feel of the class is off to me. Your not a warrior but your not really ranged either because all of your abilities only reach so far. The few that can reach far arnt really that good.

Yeah, your minions teleporting really sucks!
Reply Quote
05/30/2012 06:32 PMPosted by UltimateJim
I really wish they kept the necromancer from diablo and left the witch doctor in world of warcraft.

WD in WOW? son u trippin
Reply Quote
Arise chicken arise!
Reply Quote
Are you referring to how the witch doctor looks (physical appearance + armor options) or how the hero interacts with other characters in the game and progresses with the story arc? Or is it all about gameplay, and what spells the witch doctor has in its arsenal?

This is just anecdotal, but I've experimented with all five classes on various genders, too, and the witch doctor (female) is my absolute favorite in terms of how she engages with the main the characters and responds to conflict, so I'm curious about what just doesn't "click" for you.
everything about the witch doctor seems out of place in this game just seems like a sad replacement for the necromancer from d2
Reply Quote
05/31/2012 12:53 PMPosted by Nat
Arise chicken arise!

hell yea
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
wtb necromancer
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Hunter
After playing a little bit of every class, I have found that the Witchdoctor seems really out of place in this game, as if he doesn't belong at all

Anyone else feel this way?

Interesting!

Are you referring to how the witch doctor looks (physical appearance + armor options) or how the hero interacts with other characters in the game and progresses with the story arc? Or is it all about gameplay, and what spells the witch doctor has in its arsenal?

This is just anecdotal, but I've experimented with all five classes on various genders, too, and the witch doctor (female) is my absolute favorite in terms of how she engages with the main the characters and responds to conflict, so I'm curious about what just doesn't "click" for you.

/eagerly waiting your response

I loved playing my WD, untill I get to hell / inferno. I am a pet class, and I can no longer use pets wtf?! Was it intended for pets to always be 1 shot by everything after nightmare? My lvl 60 WD has almost 40k hp mind you, my templar has 61k hp, my pets have 1hp I swear... The only reason to have them on your hotbar is for the long cooldown timers...
Reply Quote
05/31/2012 03:54 AMPosted by Hex

sorry but wd is no where as powerful as a necromancer

u try making 70 summons as as WD go ahead try it ;D

u could as a necromancer though :D

Who cares about summons :/ Witch Doctor CC is through the roof. And dire bats would one shot an entire army of necro skellies :P

but if ur pets are strong enough u dont need cc :o... u just physically block everything with ur army and stand behind the line cast amp and wait for drop, there is no need to kite or dodge. ;D
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]