Diablo® III

Does the Witchdoctor seem out of place?

Spamming jars of spiders is wierd, but oddly satisfying.. however throwing frogs that hop two feet is pointless..
Reply Quote
No... I'm just surprised no one has called it racist yet. Only black playable char and it's total jungle fever. Making Tyrael black also covered it I guess.
Reply Quote
Interesting!

Are you referring to how the witch doctor looks (physical appearance + armor options) or how the hero interacts with other characters in the game and progresses with the story arc? Or is it all about gameplay, and what spells the witch doctor has in its arsenal?

This is just anecdotal, but I've experimented with all five classes on various genders, too, and the witch doctor (female) is my absolute favorite in terms of how she engages with the main the characters and responds to conflict, so I'm curious about what just doesn't "click" for you.

/eagerly waiting your response

I think it's because the Witch Doctor is SOOOO AWESOME. I mean, the Wizard just blasts monsters with arcane energy and bolts of lightning while calling down meteor strikes. The Demon Hunter just acrobats around placing traps and firing off volleys of amazing arrows. The Monk skirts around beating monsters to a pulp. The Barbarian just hacks his way through the hordes with massive mighty weapons.

And the Witch Doctor tosses flaming explosive skulls, sucks in monster souls, calls in zombies, undead dogs, and hulking behemoths to fight for him.

The Witch Doctor is too awesome for this game.
Reply Quote
05/31/2012 01:03 PMPosted by xepharalon
No... I'm just surprised no one has called it racist yet. Only black playable char and it's total jungle fever. Making Tyrael black also covered it I guess.

the pally was black in d2 and i didnt really care ;o...

i care more about the theme of the class than the actual race
Reply Quote
i agree that the WD is very imaginative and i love the idea of the class but it is lacking in some ways end game
Reply Quote
If you have ever been hit in the face by a jar of spiders then you will agree its much worse then being cleaved in two by a barbarian any day. I relive that moment of kindergarten everytime I see it used.........
Reply Quote

Interesting!

Are you referring to how the witch doctor looks (physical appearance + armor options) or how the hero interacts with other characters in the game and progresses with the story arc? Or is it all about gameplay, and what spells the witch doctor has in its arsenal?

This is just anecdotal, but I've experimented with all five classes on various genders, too, and the witch doctor (female) is my absolute favorite in terms of how she engages with the main the characters and responds to conflict, so I'm curious about what just doesn't "click" for you.

For myself, the skills are what make me find this class not enjoyable to play. Frogs and spiders? I just find it ridiculous. I would have preferred something along the lines of voodoo. It does not have to be named such, but perhaps Spirit/Soul Defilement. Basic would cause arcane damage to a single target.

Runes would follow, in no particular order:
Forced Empathy: All creatures of the same type beast/swarm/undead, in, let's say, 10 a
yard radius, share in the agony of the target. Standard damage to the target and 25-50%
of weapon damage to the rest.

Unrepentant Agony: With a vicious stab to the spirit, the victim is forced to see the
Light, causing searing pain and agony of its deeds upon the world. If death occurs to the
target when this skill is used, the vessel explodes in a burst of light, causing fire damage in
a seven yard radius around it at 10-25% of the target's maximum morale.

The Unseeing Eye: As pain from the witch doctor shoots through the target's soul, the eye
of the Light pierces through, causing the target to find itself turning on its allies for three
seconds. Due to the true, corrupting nature of the creature warring with the invasive Light,
there is a 20% chance per second of the body and soul to evaporate in a spectacularly
brilliant fashion, causing all creatures around it in a 12 yard area to be blinded for three
seconds.

Torpor: Due to the fierce nature of the witch doctor's resolve against their enemies, the
force of their strike is enough to possibly, 10-15% chance, cause a stasis state for two
seconds.

Not much, really. Just a few ideas that I thought might be better than what they have now.
Reply Quote
I don't disagree. The WD's skills are just... silly, in my opinion. They unfortunately abandoned the dark, gothic atmosphere of the first two games, though, so I guess it isn't that out of place.
Reply Quote
After playing a little bit of every class, I have found that the Witchdoctor seems really out of place in this game, as if he doesn't belong at all

Anyone else feel this way?

Interesting!

Witch Doctor is absolutely my favorite class my only disappointment is that their should be a rune that allows fetish army to spawn, Rakanishu.
Reply Quote
05/31/2012 01:08 PMPosted by Flan511
If you have ever been hit in the face by a jar of spiders then you will agree its much worse then being cleaved in two by a barbarian any day. I relive that moment of kindergarten everytime I see it used.........

because you know what its like to be cleaved in 2? sure try dying on a battlefield with your arm gone slowly bleeding out and seeing your insides if you got cut through the stomach.....ill take the jar of spiders in the face thank you very much, at least the poison might kill me first

i liked the Necromancer but i think he needed some more offensive spells thats what he lacked, too many curses some of which did nothing, then again D2 had alot of useless skills....

WD is cool i love him, but i do miss the evil spellcaster type, seeing as WDs are not evil or use black magic
Edited by Chaosgod4#1585 on 5/31/2012 1:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
They all seem "out of place" after leveling my DH, haha. I guess she just seems the most fit to the storyline. But my WD doesn't feel any more odd than my Monk to me at least.
Reply Quote
After playing a little bit of every class, I have found that the Witchdoctor seems really out of place in this game, as if he doesn't belong at all

Interesting!

Glad to see Blue on something NOT related to the other fluff on the forums.

I've gotten through Hell with my Barb, Lvl ~30 with my Wizard and just beat Normal mode with my Withchdoctor and I've gotta say, the Witch Doctor seems out of place. His responses and idle dialogue just don't seem to flow with the game. As I play Krum (my barbarian) I see references to other barbarians ("This place was built to defend against Barbarians, not Demons!" or whatever the line is), or find lore on the Fall of The Barbarians. I don't believe I've yet to find any content on Bog People. I can't help but feel Dr. Who has dropped me off out of my place and time.
Edited by Joshua#1996 on 5/31/2012 1:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Interesting!

In my personal opinion and based on speculation of what the game designers wanted:

The Witch Doctor feels out of place because it was intended! The class is a bazaar and foreign entity with strange and odd powers! If this is the case; I felt like it was achieved brilliantly! While still keeping a symmetry of survival and damage with the other classes :)

Also you can outfit in lots of pretty colours! <3
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock

Interesting!

I think that Witch Doctor has a lot of problems. I tried to play one, and I played all the classes in Beta of course. I became less and less interested in the game, and stalled someplace in Act 3. Instead of giving up on the game, I just tried a different Hero (Barb) and then I got hooked and pushed through into Nightmare.

My problems with Witch Doctor aren't visual or superficial. But the class does not seem logical to me.

As one example, the mana costs of various abilities make absolutely no sense. Poison dart with Splinters vs. Spriit Barrage is an easy one to point out. But in essence most of Witch Doctor abilities are like this. Incredibly powerful abilities, incredibly useless abilities, with random mana costs assigned that have no relation to ability power at all. I would bet that if Blizzard looks at Witch Doctor skill and rune diversity, they will find it sorely lacking.

As another example, Witch Doctor did not really survive Blizzard's last-minute decision to categorize skills and revise the skill / hotbar UI. For some classes, like DH, the categories made sense. They mostly make sense for Barb, too (although it is hard to understand why one category has three shouts and a .. ranged attack / weapon throw?). But in the case of Witch Doctor, the categories are SO arbitrary and so illogical. Gargantuan is voodoo but Dogs are defense? This doesn't make sense on any number of levels.

So, everywhere I looked, I got this increasing feeling that nothing about the class is designed correctly / elegantly, and nothing about it makes "sense". Note I am not saying it is underpowered. It is a highly effective hero, that in my opinion is very poorly designed.
Reply Quote
I can agree to one point of the WD's play style. Our summons are worthless in inferno, and most of our spells are as well because you have to be in their face. I would love to use acid cloud with soul harvest but for that to be effective I have to be able to take more than 2 hits...which I can't.

As far as the character is concerned, I feel it is fine. S/He comes from Kurast (I think that's what it was called in D2, can't remember off the top of my head) and followed in the steps of the heroes who saved his realm from Mephisto.
Reply Quote

As far as the character is concerned, I feel it is fine. S/He comes from Kurast (I think that's what it was called in D2, can't remember off the top of my head) and followed in the steps of the heroes who saved his realm from Mephisto.

actually it comes from the area south of Kurast, not really involved in the conflict with Mephisto. its still a big jungle with massive stone pyramids tho if you look at the concept art of it
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]