Diablo® III

Does the Witchdoctor seem out of place?

05/30/2012 04:17 PMPosted by Drizzle404

Really? I asked one and he wouldn't stop trying to summon the ultra mega chicken.

Cookie to whoever catches the reference.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ9dtZ8lYww

Beat me to it. ):
Reply Quote
imo i love the witch doctor. the female wd is so far my favorite character, in turns of interacting with the story. I've played around with all the classes some male some female, and i have found it is hard to make a determination on their skill set until you start to get through act 1 and up around lv 15-20ish. every class i think has been built well and all 5 are very unique in their play style. i find the wd isn't a tank class like the barb, isn't a front loading damage dealer like the wizard, and doesn't have the shiftiness that the dh or monk have. i find her greatest strength is confusion, and while her enemies are distracted, she bleeds them fast, so that by the time they are focusing her they are already dead. i haven't played any earlier diablo games so ill use a wow reference (bear in mind i haven't played wow in a while either). to me the play style of the wd is similar to the play style of an affliction lock or shadow priest. they drain there enemy's life, there not so much a burst dmg class, but there dmg is godly when played tactically to their strengths.
Reply Quote
It's just a reskinned (quite literally haha racejoke) necromancer. Considering the setting for D2 Act3, (fetishes everwhere) I don't feel its that outlandish.
Reply Quote
I like the Witchdoctor, I think it's enjoyable, my problem is that it is trying to fill the necromancer void. The reason I have issue with this is that I have read the books in the Diablo franchise and I'm reasonably familiar with the Diablo lore.

They have the Barbarians, okay, that makes sense. They have the Wizards and from a lore standpoint it makes more sense than Sorcerer in my opinion. But perhaps the most important class of all, the followers of Rathma, the Necromancers are nowhere to be found. They worship Trag'Oul and understand the world's balance better than anyone playing a critical role in Sanctuary but instead it feels like we get the Witch Doctor to just be... different.

I like that from a gameplay perspective they're changing things up but after reading the books it just feels weird to me for them not to be there.
Reply Quote
Oh, stop guessing: they just needed a black dude.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
06/01/2012 09:27 AMPosted by Bactide
I think you'd have less hating on the WD, in general, if our zombie dogs and gargantuan didn't require fairly specific and fairly rigid gearing requirements to be viable.

While the intent is for witch doctors to re-summon Zombie Dogs and Gargantuan fairly often, we agree that pets aren't living long enough in higher difficulty levels. Of course, the harder difficulties are supposed to be more challenging, but we don't think it's fun gameplay to cast Zombie Dogs, watch them die almost instantly, wait for the cooldown to reset, re-cast Zombie Dogs, watch them die almost instantly...etc. And this is happening even when players are wearing pretty reasonable gear.

We're looking into ways to improve witch doctor pet survivability at later levels, but we don't have any clear plans to share just yet. One thing we're considering, though, is having pets scale with your Vitality (which they currently do not do).
Reply Quote
I think witch doctor is one of the best classes for party play. Hex, confusion, summons, and aoe snare make em great at CC. I just load up 4 longer cd spells and use vision quest and all mana problems are gone. I haven't used any of the low mana spells in ages, just launch waves of dire bats at enemies till i get better gear to tank that difficulty and then use zombie bears. I feel like i do more damage then most other people i play with this way.

I would agree that at nightmare/hell and beyond zombie dogs are worthless, and inferno gargantuan zombie is as well, but if you get the 15sec duration rune on the zombie he still tanks bosses fairly well with the knockback. The dogs can still be used as point blank aoe burst with summon/sacrifice as well and its a great combo to drop each time the summon is back on the lower difficulties.

Story line wise, i really like it as well. Act 3 of diablo 3 makes shows they fit in just fine, simply left their native land.
Reply Quote
Other scaling options for pets

- Int, Str, Dex, Armor
- Life regen
- resists
- IAS
Reply Quote
This thread is awesome. Thank you for all of the constructive feedback and very focused discussions.

I love you guys.

Feeling is mutual :P
Reply Quote
I want a Necromancer.
Reply Quote
Please make it so they don't scale with Vit - that would be another boring item mechanic. Do something more interesting please - like scaling with a different affix as noted above. One of my biggest gripes with this game is the promised build diversity supported by diverse gearing and that just isn't happening as promised.

Add +Pet Health etc or use the useless one's already in game
Edited by TRICKS#1330 on 6/1/2012 10:41 AM PDT
Reply Quote
06/01/2012 10:24 AMPosted by Lylirra
I think you'd have less hating on the WD, in general, if our zombie dogs and gargantuan didn't require fairly specific and fairly rigid gearing requirements to be viable.

While the intent is for witch doctors to re-summon Zombie Dogs and Gargantuan fairly often, we agree that pets aren't living long enough in higher difficulty levels. Of course, the harder difficulties are supposed to be more challenging, but we don't think it's fun gameplay to cast Zombie Dogs, watch them die almost instantly, wait for the cooldown to reset, re-cast Zombie Dogs, watch them die almost instantly...etc. And this is happening even when players are wearing pretty reasonable gear.

We're looking into ways to improve witch doctor pet survivability at later levels, but we don't have any clear plans to share just yet. One thing we're considering, though, is having pets scale with your Vitality (which they currently do not do).

Making them scale with vitality is a horrible idea with the state of Inferno the way it is. The WD gets two shot (SV) in 99% of most cases, so stacking vitality over intellect is not a good idea.

If there is a decision to scale them with a stat, make them scale with the stat that matters the most, intellect.
Reply Quote

Duh :P
Reply Quote
I thought the only WD spell was zombie bears... who knew
Reply Quote
06/01/2012 10:33 AMPosted by RamboRomulos
Well, why dont you just look at D2. If you give us skill points to allocate, then we can make the pets tougher.

I don't see how that is possible. If the existing system doesn't scale to your stats then how would adding the ability to allocate skill points change anything at all? Seems irrelevant to this discussion.

I do wish the pets were stronger. One of my buddies plays WD and his pets die way too quickly. :(
Reply Quote
deleted by Jacka
Edited by Honor#1370 on 6/1/2012 10:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Diablo 3 seems out of place.
Reply Quote
06/01/2012 10:41 AMPosted by Adrenaline

Making them scale with vitality is a horrible idea with the state of Inferno the way it is. The WD gets two shot (SV) in 99% of most cases, so stacking vitality over intellect is not a good idea.

If there is a decision to scale them with a stat, make them scale with the stat that matters the most, intellect.

Considering this is a spell to summon them I'd consider this a reasonable compromise.
Reply Quote
I'd like to say personally that it just seems like he's out of place with the game in general mainly because nobody had ever heard of him before. You could say the same about the DH, I guess, but what I feel makes the two different and the DH more acceptable is that the WD seems very much more like a Necromancer than anything else, and seems to just fit the story so much better.

In the Book of Cain, it makes much more sense to see a rogue Necromancer fighting against Zolten Kulle and all the corrupted cultists, more than a WD would. It kind of feels like the WD just came out of thin air and appeared as someone who cared about Sanctuary with little-to-no background.

I know (after watching the blu-ray of the Behind the Scenes) that Jay Wilson had said they were looking for classes that they could improve on, not just rip off from Diablo 2 with their stories told. Honestly, though... I never really felt the Necromancer had ever really explained his story at all. Diablo II wasn't very keen at story-telling other than the main videos regarding the progression of the game and your reasoning behind caring in the first place as well as taking action. Nobody's "story" was actually really told, and this is where I feel the issue is. So now, knowing that nobody's story was really told (except the Barbarian's, since Arreat was a main location that was destroyed that the Barbarians were from) it feels like we've just kind of jumped to a "new type" of character for every class (again, excepting the Barbarian) without really ever linking the new characters to the old, or telling the old character's stories in depth as I personally feel they should have been.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]