Diablo® III

Does the Witchdoctor seem out of place?

Interesting!

Are you referring to how the witch doctor looks (physical appearance + armor options) or how the hero interacts with other characters in the game and progresses with the story arc? Or is it all about gameplay, and what spells the witch doctor has in its arsenal?

This is just anecdotal, but I've experimented with all five classes on various genders, too, and the witch doctor (female) is my absolute favorite in terms of how she engages with the main the characters and responds to conflict, so I'm curious about what just doesn't "click" for you.

/eagerly waiting your response

I have to sort of agree with the OP. All the classes feel very medieval, diablo-ish. Warrior, Rogue, Sorcerer, Sorceress, Amazon(which in name, doesn't, but in their style of using a bow like the rogue), Druid, Assassin, Paladin, Necromancer, Demon Hunter, Barbarian, Wizard, Monk...Witch Doctor. Just seems strange to me. Although I do think he is very unique, I do wish he was more fun to play(the mana resource is so annoying), as I think he is pretty cool in normal difficulty.

Funny how you say the Amazon's name doesn't fit the "medievalness" of the game, but then go on to say their style of using a bow is like a Rogue.
You do realize the Witch Doctor is pretty much a reskinned Necromancer, right?
Poisons? Check. Summons? Check. Spirits? Check. Undead? Check.
Reply Quote
My witch doctor is male, but now I'm tempted to try the female. I picked the male because I really love the voice of the character. I already love the African accent anyway, and for some reason the voice actor reminds me of Rafiki from the Lion King. I'll have to try out the female and see how the character feels.
Reply Quote
More of an rpg archetype thing. In these type of games you come to expect certain things.

You've got a mage.
You've got a fighter.
You've got a ranger.

Different names and flavors.. but they all are pretty much the same thing. Tossing a medicine man into the mix just confuses the flow. The monk is a bit of an odd man out as well, but fits more easily in the fighter super-set so goes down easier.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Warrior
While I think the concept is cool, the mechanics balance well for the most part, and it's fun to play, I think I have to ask the same question as the OP. What feels off is within the lore, and the world built up around the game, the Witch doctor feels "off".....I can believe a DH running around, or a Barbarian, Wizard, or even the Monk.........but maybe it's just the environments you go through? Not enough to feel like the Witch Doctor is part of the world and the lore? Maybe a "witch doctor" was the wrong word or type of person? They have Shamans....maybe call it a Shaman instead to fit in? It's a bit hard to place your finger on, but I do see where the OP is coming from.
Reply Quote
05/30/2012 06:32 PMPosted by UltimateJim
I really wish they kept the necromancer from diablo and left the witch doctor in world of warcraft.

I don't think there's a witch doctor in WoW, actually.
Reply Quote
The WD is easily my favorite class in the game but I think they layed it on a liiiiittle thick to the point where he almost feels a silly novelty character....it's kind of like if the barbarian ran around saying things like "RAWR! I SMASH!"
Reply Quote
the necromancer and the witch doctor are worlds apart in terms of gameplay

They both play nothing like each other. The witchdoctor plays more like a wizard/sauceress then he does a necro.
Edited by sharaz#2137 on 5/30/2012 6:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
i would think that the frekaign annoying sounds he makes would spoil the mood for you.
Reply Quote
omg plz gimme a necro
Reply Quote
It doesn't seem all that out of place to me, considering there are Fallen Shaman NPCs (WTF, where's that shaman rezzing everything?) have been around forever. I don't really recall if they were in D1, but definitely, there were cultures in D2 and here in D3 that have witch-doctory capabilities.
Reply Quote
When it comes to the witch doctor, I find him very unique and fun. My main is a wd level 60 inferno act 2. When it comes to personality WD is my favorite hands down, I like how mellow he is about everything and always has a wise insight of the situation around him and how strange, savage he appears, he is always kind and has a deep respect for the life around him. He always has a deep intellectual approach to every task ahead of him.

All classes are in a room with a multiple of monsters ahead of them.
Barbarian: Time to smash some heads!
Demon Hunter: I hate them
Monk: We need to purify these hell spawn
Wizard: Wanna see how many I can kill in one spell?
Witch Doctor: My curse upon them, let the spirits guide my hand and send these foul souls to the unformed land!
Reply Quote
I think what people are trying to say, and im just taking a stab in the dark here, is that the WD feels gimmicky. While i feel that there is a dose of gimmick to them, i enjoy the interesting mechanics they bring to the table.

A necromancer would have been a better fit for a summoner class in the diablo universe, but i have a feeling we will see them in a inevitable expansion.
Reply Quote
05/30/2012 04:15 PMPosted by Drizzle404
i asked the witch doctor for his opinion, and all he said was "oo ee, oo ah ah. ting, tang, wadda wadda bing bang"

It's said that half the people on this forum have no clue what this is reference to and the other half that do now feel old!
Reply Quote
After playing a little bit of every class, I have found that the Witchdoctor seems really out of place in this game, as if he doesn't belong at all

Anyone else feel this way?

Interesting!

Are you referring to how the witch doctor looks (physical appearance + armor options) or how the hero interacts with other characters in the game and progresses with the story arc? Or is it all about gameplay, and what spells the witch doctor has in its arsenal?

This is just anecdotal, but I've experimented with all five classes on various genders, too, and the witch doctor (female) is my absolute favorite in terms of how she engages with the main the characters and responds to conflict, so I'm curious about what just doesn't "click" for you.

/eagerly waiting your response

^This
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]