Diablo® III

Does the Witchdoctor seem out of place?

Pets currently scale with every stat other than vitality. Strength increases armor, Dexterity increases dodge, and Intellect increases damage and resistances, so it makes total sense that Vitality should increase HP.

This is a very logical change and I'm glad a blue confirmed that it is being looked into.
Reply Quote
The pet changes will only matter if they "cure the spikiness" of damage in inferno. Without that change, pets will still die too too fast.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Death Knight
Dump dogs for wall of zombies (any rune pretty much) and you'll be a ton happier. Does more damage and doesn't die. And it makes fighting elites 10000x easier since you have long periods of time where they can't even touch you.

And they stop the butcher's charge attack - which is awesome. I'm not sure how I got along before I dumped dogs for them.

Yeah, great, I dumped dogs a long time ago. That doesn't change anything I said, though. They really do need to make pets viable for us, we have two entire SPELLS based around permanent (ish) pets. Invalidating two whole spells along with 6 runes each is not really a great idea.

Also @ Fierce Loyalty, I agree. Make it baseline. It's such a worthless talent. Our summons should already scale on those stats anyway. The same for Zombie Handler. Not to be a snide little prick here, but I would have hoped that the D3 team did learn SOME things from the WoW team, one of them being the viability of pets.
Reply Quote
06/01/2012 10:41 AMPosted by Adrenaline

While the intent is for witch doctors to re-summon Zombie Dogs and Gargantuan fairly often, we agree that pets aren't living long enough in higher difficulty levels. Of course, the harder difficulties are supposed to be more challenging, but we don't think it's fun gameplay to cast Zombie Dogs, watch them die almost instantly, wait for the cooldown to reset, re-cast Zombie Dogs, watch them die almost instantly...etc. And this is happening even when players are wearing pretty reasonable gear.

We're looking into ways to improve witch doctor pet survivability at later levels, but we don't have any clear plans to share just yet. One thing we're considering, though, is having pets scale with your Vitality (which they currently do not do).

Making them scale with vitality is a horrible idea with the state of Inferno the way it is. The WD gets two shot (SV) in 99% of most cases, so stacking vitality over intellect is not a good idea.

If there is a decision to scale them with a stat, make them scale with the stat that matters the most, intellect.

I'm glad blizzard recognizes this fact, but making them scale with VIT is a terrible idea unless they gain a HUGE HUGE HUGE boost from each point of VIT. Again the player base understands this, to be viable in Inferno ranged players are stacking tons of INT/DEX/STR to be able to kill mobs before they get killed. In the case of ranged its do so much damage before even one projectile hits you.
Reply Quote
the pets also need to do more dmg beside that they also need to getmore tanky. for me it feels like one skeleton from my necro in d2 is like one zombie dog - and i could have dozen of skeletons. also the cooldown of zombie dogs is too high in my opinion. talking about cooldown - you also need to FIX the cooldown of fetish army. if you use the passiv and the rune they cooldown goes up higher
Reply Quote
As a secondary response, I..LOVE the WD. I have played each class and explored a lot of their skills/builds and syles of gear and the WD doesn't feel out of place at all to me. They are actually a refreshing class to play. everything is different from other RPG characters, the other classes get stuffy after a while. How many different ways can you design a wizard/warrior/templar/ranger. Its basically the exact same thing in a new wrapper. this WD is very refreshing to a longterm RPG player like me
Reply Quote
Adrenaline

06/01/2012 10:24 AMPosted by Lylirra

I think you'd have less hating on the WD, in general, if our zombie dogs and gargantuan didn't require fairly specific and fairly rigid gearing requirements to be viable.

While the intent is for witch doctors to re-summon Zombie Dogs and Gargantuan fairly often, we agree that pets aren't living long enough in higher difficulty levels. Of course, the harder difficulties are supposed to be more challenging, but we don't think it's fun gameplay to cast Zombie Dogs, watch them die almost instantly, wait for the cooldown to reset, re-cast Zombie Dogs, watch them die almost instantly...etc. And this is happening even when players are wearing pretty reasonable gear.

We're looking into ways to improve witch doctor pet survivability at later levels, but we don't have any clear plans to share just yet. One thing we're considering, though, is having pets scale with your Vitality (which they currently do not do).

Making them scale with vitality is a horrible idea with the state of Inferno the way it is. The WD gets two shot (SV) in 99% of most cases, so stacking vitality over intellect is not a good idea.

If there is a decision to scale them with a stat, make them scale with the stat that matters the most, intellect.

shut up tird, read the changes they are making to inferno difficulty simultaneously...
Reply Quote

Why not have them just be balanced with the character? Their stats raise a certain percentage of the characters (Via leveling, gear ect)
Reply Quote
I think you'd have less hating on the WD, in general, if our zombie dogs and gargantuan didn't require fairly specific and fairly rigid gearing requirements to be viable.

This would be the simplest and most effective way to fix this.
Edited by MrCer#1372 on 6/1/2012 12:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Dev,

Please also look into WD's mana cost/return ratio too. I still don't see why WD needs to spend mana on their Primary attacks (I can understand Frog).

Yes, it is true that WD has several runes that can get some mana back but the return amount is really quite low.

WD's Direbats cost 122 mana and if you use Spined Dart 24 mana, you only get about 20% cost back. Demon Hunter's primary (doesn't cost anything!!) can gain 6 Hatred back and Elemental Arrow only costs 10 Hatred. You can gain 60% cost back.

Yes, we can try to rune several mana-return but that also means we are losing out on other cool rune variations. I would like it more if mana-return runes is a mix of other effects. For example, your Numbing Dart gain 20 mana + Snare.

Please re-visit Witch Doctor's mana cost and return ratio and also the item mods that give +mana regeneration. Those mods seem quite low.

This and pet survivability. I haven't been able to use my zombie dogs since act 1 of hell and gargantuan started exploding pretty early in act 3. I sacrificed damage for survivability to try to remain a pet class but no go. Now I'm stuck farming act 1 inferno to try to catch up on damage gear since act 2 is just random 1 shots from about everything.

I'm disappointed with the whole 1 shot mobs before they 1 shot you design but I'm happy to play along however kiting with the WD isn't what I had in mind. Kiting on my DH is just so much easier with shorter cooldowns, more escapes and more spammable damage. My WD can cast 6-7 dire bats before running empty and needing to trigger VQ, my DH can spam elemental arrow 17 times before needing to use his builder and doesn't have to needlessly blow all of his utility or cc to be able to continue the damage race.

I'd like to see some health/resist/defensive stat multipliers for pets like our companions have and a definite increase in either mana regen, decrease in mana cost or some nice builders for mana. I hate the idea of needing to play my DH to gear my WD almost as much as the VQ reliance.
Reply Quote
I think ceremonial daggers need to be buffed in a way of way more mana regeneration.
10-15 is WAY too low and right now there is no need to pick a ceremonial knife over a sword/spear/mace since they usually have much more DPS.
Reply Quote
06/01/2012 10:24 AMPosted by Lylirra

This sounds amazing as a WD main. Also idk if anyone else feels like this but the Hex skill only lasting 12 seconds is kinda sucky. Would rather have him stay up for like 1-2 min since WD's just keep him up 24/7 regardless. Would be nice not clicking 3 every 10 sec to keep the Hex'es up.
Reply Quote
WD
DH
Monk

out of place
Reply Quote
Monk is an old school character, let him be =P.
Reply Quote

Hey man, can check the racist stuff at the door. The problem with the USA is a never ending circle of racism. People aren't being racist and bringing up gameplay points, and along comes someone with racial paranoia, and thus being racist themselves inviting others to then become racist. Live and let live, good hunting.
Last thread I read on this subject had at least a dozen references to crackheads. So uh... yeah.

Dood, did you just say that all crackheads are black? Yeah, you did
Reply Quote
05/30/2012 06:25 PMPosted by Einherjar
Doesnt seem out of place when you consider act 3 of Diablo 2, Kurast.
I want to make one, so tempted to name him Endugu :(
Reply Quote
Dev,

Please also look into WD's mana cost/return ratio too. I still don't see why WD needs to spend mana on their Primary attacks (I can understand Frog).

Yes, it is true that WD has several runes that can get some mana back but the return amount is really quite low.

WD's Direbats cost 122 mana and if you use Spined Dart 24 mana, you only get about 20% cost back. Demon Hunter's primary (doesn't cost anything!!) can gain 6 Hatred back and Elemental Arrow only costs 10 Hatred. You can gain 60% cost back.

Yes, we can try to rune several mana-return but that also means we are losing out on other cool rune variations. I would like it more if mana-return runes is a mix of other effects. For example, your Numbing Dart gain 20 mana + Snare.

Please re-visit Witch Doctor's mana cost and return ratio and also the item mods that give +mana regeneration. Those mods seem quite low.

This and pet survivability. I haven't been able to use my zombie dogs since act 1 of hell and gargantuan started exploding pretty early in act 3. I sacrificed damage for survivability to try to remain a pet class but no go. Now I'm stuck farming act 1 inferno to try to catch up on damage gear since act 2 is just random 1 shots from about everything.

I'm disappointed with the whole 1 shot mobs before they 1 shot you design but I'm happy to play along however kiting with the WD isn't what I had in mind. Kiting on my DH is just so much easier with shorter cooldowns, more escapes and more spammable damage. My WD can cast 6-7 dire bats before running empty and needing to trigger VQ, my DH can spam elemental arrow 17 times before needing to use his builder and doesn't have to needlessly blow all of his utility or cc to be able to continue the damage race.

I'd like to see some health/resist/defensive stat multipliers for pets like our companions have and a definite increase in either mana regen, decrease in mana cost or some nice builders for mana. I hate the idea of needing to play my DH to gear my WD almost as much as the VQ reliance.

really? dogs were getting insta gibbed by nightmare for me
Reply Quote

I have a feeling we are going to be seeing some future changes in general that attempt to make ranged classes actually care about defensive stats.
Reply Quote
I think ceremonial daggers need to be buffed in a way of way more mana regeneration.
10-15 is WAY too low and right now there is no need to pick a ceremonial knife over a sword/spear/mace since they usually have much more DPS.

yeah its quite undertuned...

inferno has the same amount of mana regen on it that normal difficulty had...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]