Diablo® III

Does the Witchdoctor seem out of place?

I love WD but I kinda thought the same thing. The dude goes around throwing jars of spiders at things and summoning zombie dogs. Plus he just looks and acts strange compared to every other character. I'm surprised the townsfolk don't think the WD is demon at first glance and try to kill him.
Reply Quote
As far as the "feel" of the characters in the Diablo story, and its hack and slash style feels best fit to the barb for me. And the witchdoctor is the other end of the scale. I can't really quantify it other than it doesn't feel to me like it could have come from the same Sanctuary culture that created the rest of the character archtypes. If anything I would have expected the witchdoctor to be cheering diablo on.
Reply Quote
It's funny, I was having this same conversation with a friend last night who was of the same opinion, that he just seems out of place. He loves the playstyle and the quirkiness of the skills, but the character itself he didn't think fit into the world.

I think he fits in really well, personally. I mean, we've had an Amazon and a Druid in D2, is a Witch Doctor really that much of a stretch? I like him.
Reply Quote
I think the idea of the witch doctor is great, the dialog and interaction is fitting for Diablo.

the witch doctor skills on the other hand seem out of place, and a lot of them just annoying to play with in your group.

a lot of there abilities create a lot of confusion on the battle field with over dramatic large animations that make a already hectic battlefield even harder to navigate.

I find most the skills I enjoy as the witch doctor are more necromancer in nature and would have been put to better use as such.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
I don't like the way the Witch Doctor shakes constantly. It makes me think he has Parkinson's.
Reply Quote
3 Human Rogue
The witch doctor does seem out of place when you compare it to the other 5 classes. Its ironically in the most "balance" position of the five though. They dont have as much problem as the pure melee monks and barbs because they have the dps and can essentially kite while getting spells off but they arent power houses like the DH or wiz because most of their consistent dps comes from mid range abilities like Bears and they can't kite effectively for champion groups like the Wiz can with dropping blizzard and running or multi/nether tenticle like the DH.

I just feel that a pet-centric class like the WD should be well more pet-centric. I was able to make the zombie dogs work until act 4 of nightmare and the garg pretty much tanked hell diablo for me without ever dipping past 50% hp. However...when it comes to inferno, both are pretty much unrelible. My garg can at best tank 10-12 hits in act 2, probabaly more than the average monk or barb but I am sacificing alot of dps just to beef him up and I'm running into enrage timer for the champion packs. I do however, feel extremely ballsy when playing the WD, getting up close and personal to a bunch of champions as a caster does make you feel alive...until they turn around and kick you in the face haha.I love the necro and druid in D2 and was hoping the pets would be a little more useful in inferno, I'm am hoping for a buff to make pets more viable with the 1.0.3 patch

With the exception of how the skills actually perform or require you to be in melee and the weakness of pets in inferno, I actually love the class. The skills sets themselves are very fitting and I chuckle at all the funny situation and animation of the WD skillsets. My friend, a girl mind you, started to call my fetish minion jelly beans and suggested that there should be a skill to roll them around or at mobs. Those little dudes actually grow on you, visually.
Reply Quote
if u actually visit the witch doctor forums, u'll quickly see why the class feels so out-of-place. in inferno, he cannot use most of his damaging abilities. he is basically forced to use 4 or 5 cc spells and poison darts

when i looked at the video introducing the witch doctor, i saw all kinds of awesome spells that did tons of dmg and all these cool pets that i could use and kill things with. then i get to inferno and none of that matters. the class does not have the survivability to use most of his signature spells. i question how many witch doctors would truly have ever made it to inferno at all if poison darts didnt shoot off-screen or they spent millions of gold (that they got from the exploits mind you...) on overgearing everything on a massive scale.

when played reasonably and given reasonable levels of gear and gold to use on the auction house (read: not millions upon millions), the witch doctor simpyl doesnt feel like the class i was told he would be.

as far as the story, i think its fine. he's from the jungles. he is not supposed to fit in with the regular townspeople. had i been able to use my spells effectively and not forced to use the darts build, i think the wd could be the most balanced class in d3
Reply Quote
After playing a little bit of every class, I have found that the Witchdoctor seems really out of place in this game, as if he doesn't belong at all

Anyone else feel this way?

Interesting!

Are you referring to how the witch doctor looks (physical appearance + armor options) or how the hero interacts with other characters in the game and progresses with the story arc? Or is it all about gameplay, and what spells the witch doctor has in its arsenal?

This is just anecdotal, but I've experimented with all five classes on various genders, too, and the witch doctor (female) is my absolute favorite in terms of how she engages with the main the characters and responds to conflict, so I'm curious about what just doesn't "click" for you.

/eagerly waiting your response

I've played WD the least of out all so far. I think only 30 minutes (probably far too short to give an opinion about). It lost its appeal when i started chucking spiders. I think the stereotypical necromancer is a more fitting class for the game. I enjoy summoning things like a horde of skeletons and stuff like that. I think choosing a Witch Doctor class was an interesting move by Blizzard, and I like that they are exploring other avenues for game diversity. I know there is stuff they summon later on, so maybe i'll play some more. But I agree with the OP, it just doesn't sit right when missing the old necromancer.
Reply Quote
I actually thought they felt kind of weird too.

I actually really like the way they play, but it just doesn't strike me that a witch doctor would be out saving everyone. The culture this character is taken from is extremely tribal and it is hard for me to imagine one showing up and suddenly saving the world.

I may not have gotten the full story about where the Witch Doctor came from, but in reality we didn't get a story (strictly from a gameplay PoV) where any of the heroes really came from.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
After playing a little bit of every class, I have found that the Witchdoctor seems really out of place in this game, as if he doesn't belong at all

Interesting!

Are you referring to how the witch doctor looks (physical appearance + armor options) or how the hero interacts with other characters in the game and progresses with the story arc? Or is it all about gameplay, and what spells the witch doctor has in its arsenal?

This is just anecdotal, but I've experimented with all five classes on various genders, too, and the witch doctor (female) is my absolute favorite in terms of how she engages with the main the characters and responds to conflict, so I'm curious about what just doesn't "click" for you.

YES im going female witch doctor now that i think about you, you just sealed the deal for me
Reply Quote
I like new and diffirent classes to try, some work better than others.

I didn't play amazon much or the assasin, I wanted to like the druid but just couldn't get into him.

I loved the paladin most and the necromancer was perfect.

That being said about d2 for diablo3 I'd most like to see the warrior come back and something new. If possible to have more then I'd like to see a necromancer return but I agree with Blizzard it's hard to improve on the D2 necro.

I haven't played much D3 due to studies but I love my lvl55 monk feels way cooler than a paladin and more action packed. I have a low lvl demon hunter feels like a cross between amazon and assasin and finally works for me as a class I'll enjoy. I get to experience what I missed in a way.

I really can't wait to try the WD I've seen the skills they look over the top, especially the big toad :) I'm waiting till I get time to play it through in one sitting.

All the classes in D3 seem very well designed. Although not everything we wish for is there, there's something for everyone and a lot of variety to try out. I'm happy with how the classes turned out nice work.

Can't wait to try on some of the headpieces I've been finding, you don't see too many WD around :P

Edit: Someone mentioned the WD feels out of place in the enviroments, I agree and had already thought of this. I hope in the expansion we can go through some jungle like kurast, then he'll be one of the most popular classes guaranteed :P
Edited by ZiN#1968 on 5/30/2012 7:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
yeah i think he fits well diablo act 3 yo
Reply Quote
05/30/2012 06:52 PMPosted by Zexion
It's really interesting seeing all of you thinking Witch Doctor doesn't fit. I see your points, why throw a frog when you can throw snakes? Personally, I thought the Demon Hunter was a really stupid class. Amazon, Assassin, Barbarian, Paladin, Druid, Necromancer, Sorceress. Sounds like a nice lineup right? Now let's replace Amazon. Assassin, Barbarian, Paladin, Druid, Necromancer, Sorceress, Demon Hunter. Any of these sound like a sore thumb? Just my 2 cents ^_^

Me too - I remember thinking the Demon Hunter was the dodgy one when it was announced, and just didn't fit in. And yet the Demon Hunter's playstyle is what I enjoy the most and is the class I've ended up playing. Maybe they just needed a name change.
Reply Quote

Interesting!

I found the witch doctor very intriguing, but didn't roll one because I could not understand the skills in the skill calculator. There just wasn't enough information for me to know what were persistant summons and what were spells. How strong summons were, etc.
Reply Quote
I find the WD a very welcome addition. On top of having the very best looking effects in the game, I enjoy how different he is from the traditional necro/ warlock of other games.
Reply Quote
After playing a little bit of every class, I have found that the Witchdoctor seems really out of place in this game, as if he doesn't belong at all.

Are you kidding? The Witch Doctor is awesome! Toad of Hugeness is seriously the coolest spell I've ever seen in any game.
Reply Quote
I like the class fine, there are some neat, creative things you can do. But for the love of the gods I hate the helmets. The one on my WD makes her look like a deranged bunny with pointy ears in the wrong directions.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]