Diablo® III

Does the Witchdoctor seem out of place?

05/30/2012 06:30 PMPosted by Vranx
It doesn't feel right with the skills given and playstyle required at endgame inferno.

You cant reach diablo 3 End game in the second week, sory but Diablo 3 is not meant to be rushed

But I don't even consider myself good and I have.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
While I LOVE the witch doctor as well I too think he/she is rather out of place. Mostly in the reactions of the NPCs and such. These are simple normal folk and a witch doctor from the Teganse (did I spell it right?) seems a bit out of their scope of normality... even with the demons and all running around. Especially since he/she summons zombies (undead) of her own to run around with. This exotic character is treated like joe or jane average hero from next door, rahter than the wild exotic personage he/she is.
Reply Quote
I play WD and love it. He feels unique! I have to agree with the Blizz post, for the story I love how the WD talks/reacts to things.
Reply Quote
05/30/2012 06:33 PMPosted by Sabo
My witch doctor is male, but now I'm tempted to try the female. I picked the male because I really love the voice of the character. I already love the African accent anyway, and for some reason the voice actor reminds me of Rafiki from the Lion King. I'll have to try out the female and see how the character feels.

Rafiki is my Witch Doctors name :D
Reply Quote
have...you played Diablo 2? no seriously have you? an entire frikkin act devouted to a jungle and is this i dunno WITCH DOCTOR theme through whole zone... in fact ya know those pygmy's you summon as a witchdocter? ENEMIES in diablo 2... so no the WD fits in fine she just isn't from a civilized culture and isn't anything wrong with that! she is basically the magic version of the barbarian to some degree.

i say she because i dun like the male witch doctor at all >>

05/30/2012 07:12 PMPosted by Urdui
While I LOVE the witch doctor as well I too think he/she is rather out of place. Mostly in the reactions of the NPCs and such. These are simple normal folk and a witch doctor from the Teganse (did I spell it right?) seems a bit out of their scope of normality... even with the demons and all running around. Especially since he/she summons zombies (undead) of her own to run around with. This exotic character is treated like joe or jane average hero from next door, rahter than the wild exotic personage he/she is.

i will agree with this comment though the npc reactions are really not done well... at start the gaurd should be more " WTF... wha--- are...you... friendly? please don't... curse me!" or something to that effect! alot of negativity associated with vodoo and tribal magic up there if i'm not mistaken... lets forget fact you summon zombies...you'd think tyreal woould be all KILL!?! SLAUGHTER DIE EVIL FIEND!
Edited by Lokai#1120 on 5/30/2012 7:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I love his style and art, but I hate how all his spells require you to be in melee to midrange, i.e. 1-shot range in inferno. So basically all you can do is either splinters and kite all day or try overrunning everything with bears of doom while the opponent is CCed and hope no one survives within that timeframe :P
Reply Quote

Funny how you say the Amazon's name doesn't fit the "medievalness" of the game, but then go on to say their style of using a bow is like a Rogue.
You do realize the Witch Doctor is pretty much a reskinned Necromancer, right?
Poisons? Check. Summons? Check. Spirits? Check. Undead? Check.

Actually I don't see what you're getting at. AN AMAZON does not fit a medieval style of Diablo. The only thing that DOES about the class is that it was essentially the Rogue in Diablo 1 but with the Javelin thrown in. I really don't see what point you're trying to make.

Also, have you even PLAYED a Witch Doctor? Or a Necromancer for that matter? The two playstyles are so drastically different its not even funny. Anytime someone says "Witch Doctor is basically a reskinned necro", it quickly shows me you haven't played either one or have any idea what you're talking about.

Have YOU played the D2 Necromancer?
Now, have YOU played the D2 Amazon? Have you played the D1 Rogue?

If you think Necromancers and Witch Doctors are vastly different, but somehow think Amazons and Rogues are similar then you clearly haven't played the latter classes.
Reply Quote
05/30/2012 04:15 PMPosted by PVStar
Is it because he's black?
That's the primary objection people seem to have, even though they couch it in all sorts of mealymouthed crap rather than just admitting it.
Reply Quote

Interesting!

Are you referring to how the witch doctor looks (physical appearance + armor options) or how the hero interacts with other characters in the game and progresses with the story arc? Or is it all about gameplay, and what spells the witch doctor has in its arsenal?

This is just anecdotal, but I've experimented with all five classes on various genders, too, and the witch doctor (female) is my absolute favorite in terms of how she engages with the main the characters and responds to conflict, so I'm curious about what just doesn't "click" for you.

/eagerly waiting your response

It's not really the way the character interacts or how they look, but I think it's probably more the spells they use and just how they compare to the spells/abilities of other classes.

It seems to me that they are very, very unique, but in a strange way.

Perhaps I just don't take well to change? :)

I'll admit, my WD is only level 10, my DH is like 12, my Monk is like 13, and Wizard is 30, and my Barbarian is 60. I know there is much more to experience, but just from looking at their abilities it all seems weird to me.

I find the Monk doesn't fit in the game. I don't like how the Witch Doctor appears but the spells are fine as well as interaction. I'd still prefer the Necromancer as raising a skeletal army along with replicates of enemies and cursing them/afflicting them with poison novas is more appealing to me.

But the Monk I simply do not like. Be it story, gameplay, or whatever else. Please bring the Paladin back in the future.

I personally feel that the monk reflects the paladin well, much more so than the Witchdoctor reflects the necromancer.

Maybe I am comparing too much to the classes of old though.

EDIT: As someone pointed out further down in the thread, throwing jars of spiders is very, very strange compared to a barbarian cleaving demons in two.

I prefer the darkness of a Necromancer.
Reply Quote
3 Human Rogue
if u actually visit the witch doctor forums, u'll quickly see why the class feels so out-of-place. in inferno, he cannot use most of his damaging abilities. he is basically forced to use 4 or 5 cc spells and poison darts

when i looked at the video introducing the witch doctor, i saw all kinds of awesome spells that did tons of dmg and all these cool pets that i could use and kill things with. then i get to inferno and none of that matters. the class does not have the survivability to use most of his signature spells. i question how many witch doctors would truly have ever made it to inferno at all if poison darts didnt shoot off-screen or they spent millions of gold (that they got from the exploits mind you...) on overgearing everything on a massive scale.

when played reasonably and given reasonable levels of gear and gold to use on the auction house (read: not millions upon millions), the witch doctor simpyl doesnt feel like the class i was told he would be.

as far as the story, i think its fine. he's from the jungles. he is not supposed to fit in with the regular townspeople. had i been able to use my spells effectively and not forced to use the darts build, i think the wd could be the most balanced class in d3

Uhh he is actually the beefy-ist of all the range class, hell of all the classes in general; if you dont mind being a slave to the spirit world. Spirit walk is simply one of the best skills out there. I know of a few WD that can face tank better than monks or barbs just by using Spirit Vessel/Spirit walk at the right time. Up until act 1 inferno, I pretty much was able to face tank every single thing from normal to hell with a shield on. Act 1 gave me some trouble until I was able to farm alot of decent gear. Afterwards the only thing that gave me trouble was an invur minions, fire chain, missile damping and plague group. Hell I face tank the butcher in inferno better than our monk.( Had to switch it around cause his arc hook was killing our DH too much)

Gold is surprisngly easy to farm in inferno, after a while piles of 900+, 1k+ gold piles were dropping left and right and you can pretty much make 200k+ within an hour worth.
Reply Quote
05/30/2012 07:12 PMPosted by Urdui

The goatmen were classified as demons in D2 as well i believe has been retconned and they are now corrupted humans if i remember right. It is probably very likely the pygmy's are similar. I just disagree that they are out of place in diablo setting. I mean look at the monk if the witch doctor is out of place so are they...asian culture? in a dark gothic setting? hardly fits does it?

then you remember is a whole alot of differant places in diablo world, where different cultures exist. Witch docter is simply a tribal magi, who has a close connection to the spirits, and through them can manipulate the dead, cause curses and summon various beasts and animals have certain...properties. I really don't find them anymore odd then a wizard throwing a fireball.
Reply Quote
I love the WD and think he fits quite well.

Years ago, playing D2, I would think "man, they should have made a witch doctor instead of a necro. He wears tribal masks, casts curses, and throws magic dust/vials of vile stuff he brewed in his jungle cauldron." Those wishes were certainly started by the jungle area in D2 and my love of tribal masks/tiki stuff.

However, I do feel like he is an oddball compared to the rest of the classes: but I like him that way! He's got a different vibe to him: the hunched over look, the shaking, the vibrant colors and violent spell casting.

I really like that he isn't just another take on the classic "swords n' sorcery" we see in most RPG settings. He feels akin to the Druid from D2, not in playstyle, but in their outlier-ish character type.
Reply Quote
05/30/2012 07:18 PMPosted by Cordoba
Is it because he's black?
That's the primary objection people seem to have, even though they couch it in all sorts of mealymouthed crap rather than just admitting it.

Hey man, can check the racist stuff at the door. The problem with the USA is a never ending circle of racism. People aren't being racist and bringing up gameplay points, and along comes someone with racial paranoia, and thus being racist themselves inviting others to then become racist. Live and let live, good hunting.
Reply Quote
Honestly, I would've been fine with them returning a lot of classes from D2, and just making new skills and stories behind them. What's wrong with having a class called a Necromancer in D3?

Hell, I would've been fine if they just returned all of the classes from D2. It's not like they would be exactly the same. Different skills, different stories, different people (possibly descendants from the classes of D2), but the same general look and theme. You know what I mean?
Reply Quote

Have YOU played the D2 Necromancer?
Now, have YOU played the D2 Amazon? Have you played the D1 Rogue?

If you think Necromancers and Witch Doctors are vastly different, but somehow think Amazons and Rogues are similar then you clearly haven't played the latter classes.

The Amazon WAS similar to the Rogue. But the major difference was the lack of class specific skills, outside of the minor one each one had.

If the Rogue actually had skills that involved a bow, they would have been very, very similar.

Both the WD and Necromancer have skills that involve undead, spirits, summoning, and poison.

If Amazon is similar to the Rogue, then WD is similar to the Necromancer.
if WD is not similar to the Necromancer, then Amazon is not similar to the Rogue.
Reply Quote
i belief its a very simple problem,

Its a special case, with his clothes and masks its feels realy exaggerated where he is supposed to come from, he feels realy out of place with the locations we visit in diablo 3.

The wd simply needed a good jungle setting to make him part of the diablo world.

But he dosent feel so out of place if you actualy can remember kurast from diablo 2, if you dident play it or just barely remember he feels realy out of place in comparison.

and/or

people realy miss the necro (me too) he is supposed to "replace".

But i dont belief it has realy something to do with his play style or something like that. He feels good but not realy in the right place. :)

On a side note,
the monk fell for me allmost in the same trap but with the typ of cloth etc. he feels more nomadic in nature so not "realy" out of place (cant remember original origin know).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]