Diablo® III

Does the Witchdoctor seem out of place?

He dosnt seem out of place lore / character wise.

His SKILLS however.. for something that was hailed as the "successor" to the necromancer, and this game's "pet class".. his summons are hilariously weak outside of normal (for the dogs) and nightmare (for the gargantuan). And his poison/fire spells are something more inline with the sorc of D2, which is what the wizard is supposed to be.

I think his skill set needs a serious overhaul, especially in regards to summoning.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
After playing a little bit of every class, I have found that the Witchdoctor seems really out of place in this game, as if he doesn't belong at all

Anyone else feel this way?

Interesting!

Are you referring to how the witch doctor looks (physical appearance + armor options) or how the hero interacts with other characters in the game and progresses with the story arc? Or is it all about gameplay, and what spells the witch doctor has in its arsenal?

This is just anecdotal, but I've experimented with all five classes on various genders, too, and the witch doctor (female) is my absolute favorite in terms of how she engages with the main the characters and responds to conflict, so I'm curious about what just doesn't "click" for you.

/eagerly waiting your response

Are you all in denial ?
Reply Quote
i personally love the backstory/lore and character interaction of the witch doctor and orther npc/followers...Mine is a girl, i think she really brings out the peacefulness that you don't see in alot of other char...and i luv her interaction with the templar...they are really fun to hear throughout quest/farm

i do however have icky feelings about the game play...that said the WD is not a hard hitting melee, but is also not a range class nor a strong DPS caster...i think in terms of gameplay the WD kind of get stuck on the middle ground which is not good at everything, but also not suck at everything either...which in other word, it is a rather well balance Char. Playing from normal to hell with my WD was so much fun...when in inferno...it just took a nose dive...imo, for the WD to work in inferno, some tweaks are needed(ie pet class viability, and maybe longer range for skill?) but I think most importantly, you need good gear....like you dont have the gear/gold to buy the gear for inferno, its very difficult of play onwards...

In general i do like my WD, I just wish i have better stuff for her, and her pets are better
Reply Quote
i love my WD leave him alone

/sticks fingers in ears
Reply Quote
Make pets useful please in inferno please. It is kind of annoying when i pick the pet class and can't use pets because they get one shot by everything.
Reply Quote

Funny how you say the Amazon's name doesn't fit the "medievalness" of the game, but then go on to say their style of using a bow is like a Rogue.
You do realize the Witch Doctor is pretty much a reskinned Necromancer, right?
Poisons? Check. Summons? Check. Spirits? Check. Undead? Check.

Actually I don't see what you're getting at. AN AMAZON does not fit a medieval style of Diablo. The only thing that DOES about the class is that it was essentially the Rogue in Diablo 1 but with the Javelin thrown in. I really don't see what point you're trying to make.

Also, have you even PLAYED a Witch Doctor? Or a Necromancer for that matter? The two playstyles are so drastically different its not even funny. Anytime someone says "Witch Doctor is basically a reskinned necro", it quickly shows me you haven't played either one or have any idea what you're talking about.

What are you saying? What do you mean Necro and WD are different? They both have very similar 'dark' magic. They play with dead things. They have similar attacks. How are they not similar?
Reply Quote
05/30/2012 07:27 PMPosted by SayCheese
That's the primary objection people seem to have, even though they couch it in all sorts of mealymouthed crap rather than just admitting it.

Hey man, can check the racist stuff at the door. The problem with the USA is a never ending circle of racism. People aren't being racist and bringing up gameplay points, and along comes someone with racial paranoia, and thus being racist themselves inviting others to then become racist. Live and let live, good hunting.
Last thread I read on this subject had at least a dozen references to crackheads. So uh... yeah.
Reply Quote

Interesting!

Are you referring to how the witch doctor looks (physical appearance + armor options) or how the hero interacts with other characters in the game and progresses with the story arc? Or is it all about gameplay, and what spells the witch doctor has in its arsenal?

This is just anecdotal, but I've experimented with all five classes on various genders, too, and the witch doctor (female) is my absolute favorite in terms of how she engages with the main the characters and responds to conflict, so I'm curious about what just doesn't "click" for you.

Here's my response:

It doesn't feel right with the skills given and playstyle required at endgame inferno.

witch doctor isn't designed as an actual pet class. pets are designed to be exploded / a secondary resource...
Reply Quote

Interesting!

For me it's the dialogue of the male Demon Hunter. Also, I can't get over his gut. His whole character inspires laughter. His ethnicity feels out of place in the Diablo universe. But, my biggest gripe is that I just cannot see a shaman-like character that conjures the dead and carries around dead heads on sticks as a Nephalem. Every other character follows a story line that feels like it was written just for them. The Witch-doctor just feels "out of place."

The girl Witch-doctor may be a bit more cool, but most gamers, being male, will pick the male character. That may be conjecture, but I don't think many would argue.
Edited by SoloPopo#1802 on 5/30/2012 7:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
05/30/2012 07:38 PMPosted by Wolf
Great logic! Some random people are racist, so everyone must be!
Some are more blatant about it than others, but don't think the people with tact don't have the same issue with the Witch Doctor. Some call him a crackhead, some just complain that he "doesn't fit the setting", but it's the same stuff in the end.
Reply Quote
The sorcerer from Diablo I was black. Race issue settled.

Edit: Black, but not African voodoo man black.
Edited by SoloPopo#1802 on 5/30/2012 7:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
05/30/2012 07:40 PMPosted by Desolate
His ethnicity feels out of place in the Diablo universe. But, my biggest gripe is that I just cannot see a shaman-like character that conjures the dead and carries around dead heads on sticks as a Nephalem. Every other character follows a story line that feels like it was written just for them. The Witch-doctor just feels "out of place."
^^^^^

As I was saying... lets not pretend we don't know what's going on here.
Reply Quote
His ethnicity feels out of place in the Diablo universe. But, my biggest gripe is that I just cannot see a shaman-like character that conjures the dead and carries around dead heads on sticks as a Nephalem. Every other character follows a story line that feels like it was written just for them. The Witch-doctor just feels "out of place."
^^^^^

As I was saying... lets not pretend we don't know what's going on here.

And what exactly is that? To see racism in my words you have to be looking for it, or be a racist yourself.
Edited by SoloPopo#1802 on 5/30/2012 7:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
05/30/2012 04:17 PMPosted by Miamop
ATHF

I actually named my witch doctor "Arisechicken"
Reply Quote
I picked the witch doctor because it's so different from all the other classes. The armor, in my opinion is awesome and unique. I'm currently taking my time to enjoy the game on nightmare act II and most importantly HAVING FUN PLAYING A VIDEO GAME.
Reply Quote
05/30/2012 07:03 PMPosted by Archangel
It's really interesting seeing all of you thinking Witch Doctor doesn't fit. I see your points, why throw a frog when you can throw snakes? Personally, I thought the Demon Hunter was a really stupid class. Amazon, Assassin, Barbarian, Paladin, Druid, Necromancer, Sorceress. Sounds like a nice lineup right? Now let's replace Amazon. Assassin, Barbarian, Paladin, Druid, Necromancer, Sorceress, Demon Hunter. Any of these sound like a sore thumb? Just my 2 cents ^_^

Me too - I remember thinking the Demon Hunter was the dodgy one when it was announced, and just didn't fit in. And yet the Demon Hunter's playstyle is what I enjoy the most and is the class I've ended up playing. Maybe they just needed a name change.

Ok, How in the world does a DEMON hunter not fit into....wait for it.....Diablo, a game FILLED to the very brim with Demons???
Reply Quote
05/30/2012 04:17 PMPosted by Jeger
Yes. Throwing frogs and snakes at people doesn't seem to fit. Cleave them in two with a longsword, or blow them up with a fireball, yes. Snake and frogs = no.

EXPLODING frogs dude, exploding frogs. magic as hell.
Reply Quote
flaming bats all day
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]