Diablo® III

Does the Witchdoctor seem out of place?

05/30/2012 06:23 PMPosted by Lylirra
Are you referring to how the witch doctor looks (physical appearance + armor options) or how the hero interacts with other characters in the game and progresses with the story arc? Or is it all about gameplay, and what spells the witch doctor has in its arsenal?

It might be a bit of everything. I kind feel this way too. Yes, his armor is out of place. Nearly every piece looks like it's made out of cloth, wood, brush and bones. However some of the armor he's supposed to be wearing is metal and I don't think he'd find jungle brush like he comes in wearing in the various other regions of sanctuary.

Next is how he progresses. First off, how does he even speak the same language? It's unrealistic the people of Sanctuary all speak the same language. Obviously for the purpose of the game he has to but to not add in a separate language seems odd. Aside from that he just doesn't seem like a Witch Doctor. A good Witch Doctor should be at all times menacing, full of wisdom, fatherly, mysterious and a wee bit crazy. The Witch Doctor in Diablo 3 exhibits none of these.

While I personally don't find anything wrong with his abilities, none of them stand out to me either and make me say "OH I WANT TO USE THAT ONE!" It becomes more like "you obtained ability xxxxxx! or rune xxxxxx!" to which I reply "meh." This shouldn't be the case for ANY character. Some of each character should appeal to everyone, and clearly the Witch Doctor was executed the most poorly of them all.
Reply Quote
05/30/2012 07:51 PMPosted by Desolate
And what exactly is that? To see racism in my words you have to be looking for it, or be a racist yourself.
Seriously? You're gonna write "His ethnicity feels out of place in the Diablo universe.", and then complain when someone points it out?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
What I thought about the WD (I've only played one up to "Get the Crown" quest), is that the first few spells they have are very, very, very weak.

I can shoot blow darts or I can throw little jars of spiders and it takes forever to kill anything.

The only saving grace I had when trying to rescue Cain was that I had JUST dinged a level before going down in there and I got fire bats.

Which makes me go into Melee range.

I'm a SPELLCASTER being forced into almost Melee Range to use my only real "damage" ability.

Also, my MAIN attacks COST resources, while *everyone else* GAINS resources from their said main attacks? Something about that sounds a little weird.

Also, the zombie dogs... eh. I couldn't see where they did all that much other than try to keep stuff off me, but the cooldown is way too long; the dogs were getting killed before I could recast them unless I stood around waiting for the cooldown to come back up.

And the jars of spiders... seriously?

They do like ... next to no damage whatsoever.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
After playing a little bit of every class, I have found that the Witchdoctor seems really out of place in this game, as if he doesn't belong at all

Anyone else feel this way?

Interesting!

Are you referring to how the witch doctor looks (physical appearance + armor options) or how the hero interacts with other characters in the game and progresses with the story arc? Or is it all about gameplay, and what spells the witch doctor has in its arsenal?

This is just anecdotal, but I've experimented with all five classes on various genders, too, and the witch doctor (female) is my absolute favorite in terms of how she engages with the main the characters and responds to conflict, so I'm curious about what just doesn't "click" for you.

/eagerly waiting your response

The Witch Doctor doesn't fit the story very well. He/she is very foreign from the rest of the series and I find it very strange that no one questions the character. They dress different and dabble in what a lot would consider dark magic.

I know you guys don't want to deal with prejudices in the plot but it would definitely help create more 3 dimensional characters. It would of been very interesting to see if the 5 different classes had very varying experiences while following through the meta story.

As for looks I think the WD has some of the coolest looking gear in the game. Its so different and the way the class plays is great as well. Definitely of the 4 classes I have played as it feels the most unique and refreshing.
Edited by Kabloosh#1187 on 5/30/2012 8:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
WTB Necro

If you need to make him black, thats ok.
Reply Quote
Out of place? Hell, no! I love my Witch Doctor! It's a great feeling to know that you took down the Lord of Terror with a bunch of slimy reptiles, zombies, and assorted voodoo hexes. Diablo should hang his head in shame! : d

It's a welcome change from the rank and file wizards and warriors you usually play as.
Reply Quote
05/30/2012 07:51 PMPosted by Desolate
^^^^^

As I was saying... lets not pretend we don't know what's going on here.

And what exactly is that? To see racism in my words you have to be looking for it, or be a racist yourself.

...because.... yo are so good at hiding your racism?

Sorry, could not resist. I am pretty sure that is not what you meant.
Reply Quote
It's not that the feel of diablo is medievalish and should only have european/dark fantasy caracter, but it is more that he feel out of place because we doesn't have visited his tribes and environnement in Diablo 3 ( i don't know about 1 and 2).
When you look about it, the four act are all set in very different environnement:
Act 1 : This is the most medieval-feeling, with a village, some gore all over the place, corpse, castle, dongeon, torture dongeon, etc. I feel that the wizard and the demon hunter fit the most those place since they feel more medievalish.

Act 2: This act is all set for the Monk, which is more Eastern than Occidental. Unfortunetly i think the city was underdevlopped, because we only see the market and the palace. No ghetto, no middle class, no barracks, just a bar and some marchant. Oh yeah there is the sewer but we only get there like 5 min.

Act 3 : The barrack come from this place ! it is in a snowy, very northern place, and in a castle under a siege. All of this is in the mentality of the Barbarian

Act 4: This is the paradise, so i don't care if no caracter fit this place.

The witch doctor, unfortunetly, doesn't have any environnement where he fit. No forest or river. Maybe the Goatmen ( khazra) can fit, but i doesn't think that they are voodoo-style enough
Reply Quote
What I thought about the WD (I've only played one up to "Get the Crown" quest), is that the first few spells they have are very, very, very weak.

I can shoot blow darts or I can throw little jars of spiders and it takes forever to kill anything.

The only saving grace I had when trying to rescue Cain was that I had JUST dinged a level before going down in there and I got fire bats.

Which makes me go into Melee range.

I'm a SPELLCASTER being forced into almost Melee Range to use my only real "damage" ability.

Also, my MAIN attacks COST resources, while *everyone else* GAINS resources from their said main attacks? Something about that sounds a little weird.

Also, the zombie dogs... eh. I couldn't see where they did all that much other than try to keep stuff off me, but the cooldown is way too long; the dogs were getting killed before I could recast them unless I stood around waiting for the cooldown to come back up.

And the jars of spiders... seriously?

They do like ... next to no damage whatsoever.

If you stick with it the WD is a great nuke char in night mare. Not sure about later yet, but using soul harvest(+5), spam dire bats, spirit walk (with mana regen) and spam bats from a distance, you put yourself in a position where most mobs are dead, and and stragglers are still on your dogs and your mongoloid. I am pretty sure I was doing this before level 20.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Act 2 is middle eastern(Persian Gulf states) not Oriental(Chinese, Koren, Japanese).

The monk looks very Caucasian which is weird for the type of Monk he is referencing to. The wizard is the Oriental and I guess the Asian folks in the D3 universe comes from a desert area. That is all fine and good except these characters have no tan. At least the sorc from D2 had a tan.
Reply Quote
05/30/2012 04:15 PMPosted by Drizzle404
i asked the witch doctor for his opinion, and all he said was "oo ee, oo ah ah. ting, tang, wadda wadda bing bang"

Oh man I laughed so hard :)

(I am a witch doctor level 60 :P)
Reply Quote
I love my WD personally. The summons do get owned end game and that blows but out of place? Feels like he straight out of The jungle of Kurast in my opinion. Another side not too to
Any WD mains.. Get a buddy for inferno or wait 2 months and get grossly over geared cuz you will not make it lol.
Reply Quote
After playing a little bit of every class, I have found that the Witchdoctor seems really out of place in this game, as if he doesn't belong at all

Anyone else feel this way?

Interesting!

This is just anecdotal, but I've experimented with all five classes on various genders, too, and the witch doctor (female) is my absolute favorite in terms of how she engages with the main the characters and responds to conflict, so I'm curious about what just doesn't "click" for you.

/eagerly waiting your response

i would say that the witch doctor (female) is my favorite character as far as personality goes, and is not lacking in that department.

The big issue with the witch doctor is the gameplay mechanic of mana. Even though it is the most familiar to the diablo series...all of the new classes have fast recharging/building mechanics, except for the witch doctor. Also, their cooldowns are not appropriate when comparing skills of different classes with the same function.

Primarily, the examples are monk pet vs. witch doctor pet (thought I assume sacrifice is the reason)...then spirit walk vs. demon hunter vault, etc.

The contradiction that i feel is most prevalent is that the mana mechanic promotes a larger burst of spells being cast, but we are doubly punished for cooldowns. the slow regeneration should be enough of a detriment, we dont need 90-120 second cooldowns on pets that our class is apparently based on. This leads to dart spammer builds and VQ builds which are the cookie cutter ones. Also, we dont have a global cooldown reduction passive, which other classes have and would also combat the cooldown issue and allow for larger build diversity.

Edit: There's also the main issue of pet scaling, but that doesnt have to do with fitting into the set of classes.
Edited by NeckRomancin#1308 on 5/30/2012 8:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
The culture he is based off of does not fit the gothic world of Diablo at all. I am not saying bring it back but the necromancer was a much better fit.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
I was thinking the same thing. The skills are a bit goofy to me and really don't fit in with his surroundings. You see other npc's etc using magic and swords but spitting out frogs and locusts (where exactly do they come from?) is rather bizarre.

Side note, of all the characters the wd was the most frustrating to play to level 10. After that with some gear was fine (even very good) but it took me an hour longer than any other character to reach 10. I suspect some will give up on the character as a result.

Also, wd just makes me miss playing necromancer :)
Reply Quote
I love my WD, he's like a wizard with more support oriented options.

that and badass armor/knives, he's obviously from Kurast, which is very much part of Diablo.
Edited by ChickenHide#1139 on 5/30/2012 8:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Have you been to Kurast Docks!?
Reply Quote
05/30/2012 06:28 PMPosted by Wolf
EDIT: As someone pointed out further down in the thread, throwing jars of spiders is very, very strange compared to a barbarian cleaving demons in two.

And how is that bad? It is just different. I would find it strangely bad if he used some sort of magical weapon that resembled an electronic device of some sort, i.e, if the fought with a light-saber-like-sword. Although that is not my favorite class, I think it is very interesting!
Edited by Rash#1810 on 5/30/2012 8:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Yeah cuz necromancer was totally a hero type back in d2....jeez
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
I've been waiting for a thread like this, so I can praise the Witchdoctor!

This class has been lovingly created and it shows. It's fabulous and hilarious - Raining frogs! Zombie dogs! It's wonderful! Real creativity and fun went into. Classical allusions lol, plagues of Egypt.

I could do without the male WD's middle-aged spread and pear-shape, tho'!! rofl - prefer my avatars to be in their prime. This is a fantasy world! I do like that his run is a little bit like the WoW undead creep.

I also *love* the convo between the female WD (not sure if male mirrors didn't level him) and Haedrig. That is just so awkward, it's fabulous. It's inspired, I literally lol'd. I can just see him discreetly edging away from her.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]