Diablo® III

Does the Witchdoctor seem out of place?

05/30/2012 06:36 PMPosted by Crebstar
Don't tell anyone but WD is currently most powerful class in game. We can kill any boss and any elite pack in game except soul rippers. Been clearing (full no skips) whimsy inferno and act4

anyway u can pm me and tell me how? like getting mostly 2m+ equips?^^
Reply Quote
05/30/2012 04:14 PMPosted by Wolf
as if he doesn't belong at all.

Personally, I don't think any of the classes really "fit."

D2 was cool, because it had classes we all understood before we played:

*The pally was obviously a male knight with a hallowed side.
*The zon was a chick with mad skillz.
*The necro was a dude with a corpse fetish.
*The sorceress was a chick with magical talents.
*The barb was a big dude that grunted a lot.

We all know what these classes are because of ancient folklore and the fantasy realm.

But, what are these new classes?
* To me, a monk is a dude in long brown robe and a funky haircut.
* A wizard is too much of a no-brainer.
* Then we have the demon hunter, which while self-explanatory, is also a mystery.
* The witch doctor, who didn't really even come into existence until the 1600's.
* And, the barb, who is still just a big dude (or fat chick) that grunts a lot.

What do all the new classes have in common? Nothing, aside from the fact that Blizzard created them.... well, let's say they "redefined" them.

I liked the old classes, because they were all from ancient folklore, and we knew what to expect. The new classes aren't clearly defined, and I'm assuming no one feels any real connection to their toons, like we did in D2.

When I first heard about the demon hunter class, my eyes rolled numerous times, because not only is a demon hunter a totally new fantasy character, but it also typically only hunts demons... hence the name "demon hunter," which makes me ask "Are all mobs in D3 demons?"

The answer, of course, is: "If a demon hunter is hunting all mobs in D3, then all mobs in D3 must be demons," but I don't think they are, are they?

ugh.
Reply Quote
Wow, blue attention in a WD thread?

Mana is a horrible resource. No advantage to using DoTs.

Pets are worthless, thus all abilities designed around them are worthless.

The class seems to be largely designed around having pets out itself, and the fact that they die so easily and/or have such long cooldowns makes me feel like I'm playing a gimped wizard.

I'd totally go for just 15 sec cooldown on dogs/garg if you guys are reluctant to make them too tanky so the barbs/monks don't feel bad.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
After playing a little bit of every class, I have found that the Witchdoctor seems really out of place in this game, as if he doesn't belong at all

Anyone else feel this way?

Interesting!

Are you referring to how the witch doctor looks (physical appearance + armor options) or how the hero interacts with other characters in the game and progresses with the story arc? Or is it all about gameplay, and what spells the witch doctor has in its arsenal?

This is just anecdotal, but I've experimented with all five classes on various genders, too, and the witch doctor (female) is my absolute favorite in terms of how she engages with the main the characters and responds to conflict, so I'm curious about what just doesn't "click" for you.

/eagerly waiting your response

My main issue is that all of the other classes are heroic in stature and form, and the male witchdoctor is potbellied with palsy (the shaky hand thing). It seems less like a nod to the handicapped (which I doubt was intended) and more of playing to a bad stereotype.
Reply Quote
After playing a little bit of every class, I have found that the Witchdoctor seems really out of place in this game, as if he doesn't belong at all

Interesting!

Are you referring to how the witch doctor looks (physical appearance + armor options) or how the hero interacts with other characters in the game and progresses with the story arc? Or is it all about gameplay, and what spells the witch doctor has in its arsenal?

This is just anecdotal, but I've experimented with all five classes on various genders, too, and the witch doctor (female) is my absolute favorite in terms of how she engages with the main the characters and responds to conflict, so I'm curious about what just doesn't "click" for you.

I think the male Witch Doctor just looks too silly. Necromancer is just much darker to me and fits better in the Diablo universe's playable classes. Even if there are witch doctors in Kurast. They were always people of wisdom and seclusion. Not offensive battle hardened heroes. At least that's the vibe D2 gave me. Where as, the necro's WANTED blood. That's just my 2 cents.
Reply Quote
View profile
The thing I don't like about the Witch Doctor is how s/he moves and stands. It feels kinda racist somehow.
Reply Quote
After playing a little bit of every class, I have found that the Witchdoctor seems really out of place in this game, as if he doesn't belong at all.

I feel the same, which is why I probably won't play the class. And my reason is; here I am trying to fight demon hordes from hell, yet I'm doing it by summoning zombies, hell dogs and other macabre like undead creatures? You're right, it seems out of whack. I'm currently in NM playing as a Demon Hunter, which makes total sense, I'm hunting demons.

I hope we get an xpac with the Paladin, the replyability of D3 suffers from the fact that other then the DH the other classes feel completely out of place in the world of Diablo.
Reply Quote
2 Night Elf Rogue

Interesting!

HATE how she runs crouched, HATE the way she holds her spear, HATE the goofy jungle garb. But playing her is very fun; the mechanics I use, the abilities I swap between, the strategies they provide, etc... except the blow darts. HATE the blow darts, and the noise they make.
Reply Quote
05/30/2012 09:07 PMPosted by Caelrie
It feels kinda racist somehow.

It definitely paints a very bad impression of the culture. I highly doubt most witch doctors walk like that.

The fact is that witch doctors, monks, barbarians and even wizards exist in the real world. Whether or not you believe in what they do doesn't matter. The only class that was taken from the fiction world in D3 was the Demon Hunter, so if anyone "doesn't belong," it's the DH.
Reply Quote
1) It feels out of place because the other heroes are "human like" and much more "sane" rather than a crazy character like a Witch Doctor

2) The sounds are annoying and I always mistook his spider or summons as an enemy and sometimes click shift to them
Reply Quote

Interesting!

I also started WD first, and while I have not played DH, who is the "DII sorc" of DIII, I'm not interested in "being like everyone else," but as of Act IV Hell, I have no choice.

There are a couple things wrong with WD. One of them the character, the other is a game design issue.

For the positive aspects, I think the female WD is a beautiful character. The character model, the animations, the voice (and the voice actress is gorgeous as well). The way the FEMALE WD interacts with all the characters in the game truly gives me the impression of a mystic/shaman.

Now the character itself...many of its great abilities have cool downs that are so extensive, that they're hardly useful. I love Fetishes, but every 120-90 seconds (what a waste of a good rune!). I would much rather them be weaker with shorter c/d. The zombie dogs are already incompatible with Hell mode+, and their c/d is long too. Why would I ever take sacrifice when I can't use that in every battle? And you can't even say to take your time because a fight in Hell could last 5-10 min if you roll a nasty set of champions!!!

From a game design standpoint....I want to use corpse spiders...medusa spiders and chain that with WD's slow (the one with the arms coming out of the ground). Rune with the ground slow is 80% plus medusa spiders proc 60% movespeed reduction. Everything should be reduced to a crawl. Not so in Hell...you barely affect champions. So why bother using the "slow and kite" strat if it doesn't work? I ended up using darts by Act IV hell like the other 99.9% of WDs in harder difficulties because the pure DPS works while the status ailments do not.

I'd love to play a character "against the grain," and the vision of the WD presents that possibility....but it only works in Normal/Nightmare, which are "easy/normal" modes. Hell, not so much. (Inferno does not even count, IMO).
Edited by AbsoluteZero#1630 on 5/30/2012 9:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Interesting!

Why don't you respond to the massive avalanche of people getting their accounts stripped of all their items and gold without getting keylogged or phished, instead of making pointless responses to dumb posts like this?

Tell us what's going on. This is happening on a scale never seen in any game in modern history, software engineers are getting hacked, people who've used the internet for 2 decades without ever getting hacked are getting hacked, game industry journalists are getting hacked.

STOP BEING SUCH A POLITICIAN AND ADMIT THAT DIABLO 3 HAS A SECURITY HOLE ALREADY.
Reply Quote
05/30/2012 06:30 PMPosted by Vranx
It doesn't feel right with the skills given and playstyle required at endgame inferno.

You cant reach diablo 3 End game in the second week, sory but Diablo 3 is not meant to be rushed

but it has been rushed. and completed by DH and Wiz's
Reply Quote
I think the new classes, lore-wise, make for a far, far more interesting world than the same few dark fantasy tropes always trotted out.

Monk is my favourite, and Witch Doctor is second. The Monk announcement was the first time I really got interested in the game. Demon Hunter, Barbarian and Wizard are all just deadly dull to me (again, lore-wise; I haven't played them so I'm sure their mechanics are fine).

I'm happy Blizzard went lateral with these new guys. (Yes, I know everyone but Barbarian is 'new', but they're really not).
Reply Quote
Act 3 Inferno wd

Pets are useless in Inferno. They do not survive long enough to do the dmg for the mana to be worthwhile.

Spirit walk is great but being as soon as the fake you gets damaged there are quite a lot of boss mechanics that end up killing you anyways. We are forced into spirit vessel ( I like this passive).

I feel like we are looked at as the crowd controller. Our damage is probably lower because of this plan for the class. In all honesty the only CC that is really needed in most situations is the improve slow. The others are situational or used to give a dmg buff( confusion-paranoia).

To get big numbers Vision Quest is shoved down our throat for us to do high burst damage. We have to use every cooldown even our defensive ones and hope we kill the boss/elites/champs before they kill us.
Reply Quote
He is definitely from Diablo world,

Those who said they played D2 but feel other wise -
I doubt if they know about the infamous FLAYER JUNGLE.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]