Diablo® III

Does the Witchdoctor seem out of place?

talk about the lore

Amazon's Lore like a Witch Doctor's.

They came from different land. Have you remember the word those npc talk with Amazon ?

"I don't think to see your kind out here"
Edited by Altima#1470 on 5/31/2012 12:40 AM PDT
Reply Quote
After playing a little bit of every class, I have found that the Witchdoctor seems really out of place in this game, as if he doesn't belong at all

Anyone else feel this way?

Interesting!

Are you referring to how the witch doctor looks (physical appearance + armor options) or how the hero interacts with other characters in the game and progresses with the story arc? Or is it all about gameplay, and what spells the witch doctor has in its arsenal?

This is just anecdotal, but I've experimented with all five classes on various genders, too, and the witch doctor (female) is my absolute favorite in terms of how she engages with the main the characters and responds to conflict, so I'm curious about what just doesn't "click" for you.

/eagerly waiting your response

I feel the same way too. Sanctuary doesn't seem like a world where a witch doctor would appear. What with necromancers, barbarians, wizards... A witch doctor is somebody from a secluded tribe that practices different types of medicine. Sanctuary is a world that is constantly under attack from undead, monsters, and hell. It really seems like you (the developers) got lazy and decided to add in something that seemed different. Well, the witch doctor is most certainly different, too different. And it doesn't belong in this world.

Also, the skill set of the witchdoctor is...pitiful. Throwing jars of spiders? Zombie hands reaching up from ground? Really? You guys obviously didn't think this through.

Here's a suggestion. Do a major patch of the game (MAJOR), remove the witch doctor and re-introduce the Necromancer (which everyone has been saying all along). Problem solved.

Also, while your at it. Just bring back all of the original classes from Diablo 2. Also bring back the rogue from Diablo 1 (sorcerer as the male sorcerer, sorceress as the female). Also get rid of the demon hunter. Demon Hunter looks like it's straight out of WoW. Annoying. Dual crossbows are ridiculous, skills are childish. Cmon.

So we end up with a class selection of:
  • Barbarian
  • Sorcerer
  • Druid
  • Paladin
  • Assassin
  • Necromancer
  • Amazon
  • Rogue
  • Wizard
  • Monk
  • Also, let us choose our own stats when we level up. And let us level up our skills, so that we can get a specific skill set that is more powerful than the other skills.

And make gems level required.

And bring back runes and runewords.

And call "legendaries" unique again. And make them drop more often (so a casual player can actually find a few in a playthrough). And make them useful.

Also put the enchantress in, don't understand why you took her out in the first place...

Also make it default that you can select any skill for any button.

Allow us to use more than "1-4" on our hotbar, and don't restrict the keys when were at low levels. Also fix the last half of the game.

Also, fix the auction house.

Also, either fix the drop rate of health globes (none drop when i need them, 100 drop when im at full health), or just let us use potions like in Diablo II (the health globe system is interesting, but doesn't cut it, failed attempt at changing the way you get life back).

Also, get over being butthurt and reintroduce a cow level. Get rid of that whimsyshire crap. wtf were you thinking?

Really, just FIX THE DAMN GAME. You've ruined the Diablo series. And I really wish the game was never released at this point. Just improve the graphics on Diablo II (also revert to patch 1.09 (get rid of the skill synergy crap)) and you have a game that is vastly superior to Diablo 3 (not to say that D2 isn't already vastly superior, but it could use a graphical overhaul). Do the same for Diablo 1. Destroy Diablo 3, burn it. And I think we'll be good.
    Reply Quote

And the costumes (especially the helmets), posture, way of moving, are just really garish and silly and don't fit the tone of the game at all. I don't feel like a badass slayer of demons, I feel like an extra on Ren and Stimpy.

The Witch Doctor just needs a heavy dose of "please stop being ridiculous now."

Looks like they took the stereotype of a witch doctor, and directly implemented it into Diablo 3. And then made it fight.

Anyways, replace witch doctor with necromancer like you were told to do before Blizzard. DO IT NOW. :/

I think I'm going to reinstall Diablo 2 and join a private server with patch 1.09 or previous. Not that was a good game.
    Reply Quote
    05/30/2012 04:15 PMPosted by PVStar
    Is it because he's black?

Nah. Tyraels black after all!
    Reply Quote
    witch high as !@#$, throwing frogs and spiders at demons and %^-*.
    Reply Quote
    Act 3 Inferno wd

Pets are useless in Inferno. They do not survive long enough to do the dmg for the mana to be worthwhile.

Spirit walk is great but being as soon as the fake you gets damaged there are quite a lot of boss mechanics that end up killing you anyways. We are forced into spirit vessel ( I like this passive).

I feel like we are looked at as the crowd controller. Our damage is probably lower because of this plan for the class. In all honesty the only CC that is really needed in most situations is the improve slow. The others are situational or used to give a dmg buff( confusion-paranoia).

To get big numbers Vision Quest is shoved down our throat for us to do high burst damage. We have to use every cooldown even our defensive ones and hope we kill the boss/elites/champs before they kill us.

A: You'll need to beef up your def stat to help you pet survive.
    Q: but then my dps would become too low?
    A: Get better gear
    Q: but how do I get gear to farm gear?
    A: welcome to RMAH.

A: They will still be worthless that smidge or survival for them will not save them on most champ/elite/boss fights. Believing that would be foolish
    A: Your dps does not change. Your effectivness does because your trying to run a build based on dead pets doing no damage.
    A: try gold ah. Real money is not going to be up till June.
    Reply Quote
    one of the rune for that bat spell for the WD (the one that shoots 1 big bat that go through enemy) reminded me of necro's bone spear :P
    Reply Quote
    Aren't Witchdoctor's just Necromancer's in a funny hat?
    Reply Quote
    05/31/2012 01:15 AMPosted by Kjetl
    Aren't Witchdoctor's just Necromancer's in a funny hat?

sorry but wd is no where as powerful as a necromancer

u try making 70 summons as as WD go ahead try it ;D

u could as a necromancer though :D
    Reply Quote
    Don't lie about it, It's cus he's black isn't it. You Racist!
    Reply Quote
    talk about the lore

Amazon's Lore like a Witch Doctor's.

They came from different land. Have you remember the word those npc talk with Amazon ?

"I don't think to see your kind out here"

yeah but the over all theme of diablo world is more of a european + middle east type of world. and the wd feels like he belongs in the caribbean
    Reply Quote
    When it comes to the witch doctor, I find him very unique and fun. My main is a wd level 60 inferno act 2. When it comes to personality WD is my favorite hands down, I like how mellow he is about everything and always has a wise insight of the situation around him and how strange, savage he appears, he is always kind and has a deep respect for the life around him. He always has a deep intellectual approach to every task ahead of him.

All classes are in a room with a multiple of monsters ahead of them.
    Barbarian: Time to smash some heads!
    Demon Hunter: I hate them
    Monk: We need to purify these hell spawn
    Wizard: Wanna see how many I can kill in one spell?
    Witch Doctor: My curse upon them, let the spirits guide my hand and send these foul souls to the unformed land!

necromancer: bonespear i choose you! *wave wand* xD
    Reply Quote
    Yes lorewise it's hard to take the Witch Doctor seriously as the nephalem that will save the world. That's how I felt playing as one.
    Reply Quote
    Some WD skills are just useless, like dog explosion.
    Reply Quote
    Before I played open beta, witch doctor was one of my least favourite classes. The concept of an eccentric pet class didn't interest me. I thought I would make a monk or a wizard first.

Then I played open beta, tried all the classes and absolutely loved the female witch doctor. Something about her sultry voice and relaxed attitude to everything... and her fun spells! I loved the idea of throwing spiders in jars around and conjuring plagues of toads.

I still love the witch doctor as a character and I've really enjoyed watching her backstory and character emerge as the game progresses. No regrets there, I think she's an awesome woman.

But I can see what people mean about 'not fitting in' skillwise. I'm currently progressing through Act 3 Hell, not inferno yet, but I sometimes find it awkward being a medium range class with very low toe-to-toe survivability. Although it is fun finding new ways to use defensive skills to stay alive.

The biggest shame is that some of the most fun skills just aren't viable at later difficulties. The witch doctor I think is in big danger of becoming a cookie cutter class using some of the less interesting skills. Sometimes it feels like I'm playing a demon hunter who has to run in close now and then.
    Reply Quote
    The Witch Doctor fits in the world for anyone who ever payed attention to Diablo 2 act 3... hell even the spells all fit creatures and things from that zone. Really the Witch Doctor (barbarian aside) might be the only honest to goodness throwback to Diablo 2, as the Wizard seems to be a random powerfull dude rather than a part of any order (which most magic users are part of an order in the Diablo universe unless I am ill informed.
    Edited by Vampirate#1388 on 5/31/2012 1:36 AM PDT
    Reply Quote
    Personally I think the Witch Doctor fits perfectly fine.
    I'm rather of the opinion that instead of his existence feeling alien to the world that he inhabits, as is suggested in this thread, that his presence actually alludes to a wider world that i'm more interested in exploring.

He's one of the few characters that I could "connect to" when entering Tristram as he's the only one who felt like an "outsider" experiencing the world for the first time... Like me (I've played D1 and D2 but not hardcore)

I would say that the only thing I find frustrating about him is that his skills are unclear, which isn't helped by the fact that they're also quite complex, or as some would say, gimicky.

For example, when throwing jars of spiders, is there any penalty to spamming them? Does one jar popping and spreading spiders cause a previous set of spiders to despawn? If so if I throw jars quickly enough am I actually preventing them from doing any damage at all?
    If I use Haunt on an enemy for any "DoT" effects how do I know it's working? Can I stack it at all or is recasting it a waste of time/mana? How do I know it's dropped off to re-apply it?
    Why does Circle of Life not mention the rules on the maximum number of dogs?
    What does the giant Toad do? It just seems tos it there and i've not met many enemies that stand still yet.

They're all fun/interesting abilities and a lot of the above questions are now rhetorical for me but a lot of the time I have to actually experiment with them just to find out the basics of how they work. This can be fun and is but still, could be clearer as I often end up retorting to skills I understand better which have more visually obvious results.
    Like darts. I can see them firing, see the cast animation and know how long i'm unable to move or recast anything else, see them hitting/missing the mob, see the damage fall off. Nice and easy, even the runes have nice and obvious effects on darts
    Locusts however aren't so clear. What's the range on them? What's the range on the spread? etc. (maybe i'm not scrutinising skills deeply enough but i don't see this kind of info shared very deeply)
    Also am I the only one who mixes Haunt and Spirit barrage up?

Maybe all classes are like that, I don't know, WD is the only one i've leveled a significant distance and, as gripes go, it's a very very minor one, (There is no penalty for experimenting with skills after all), that's more gameplay related than anything else.

05/30/2012 11:44 PMPosted by Gjorind
    Act 4. Heaven. Not voodoo heaven, not disco inferno heaven, not even lush jungle heaven. We're talking heavenly spires heaven. It's like the Witch Doctor is taking a stroll right on through the "hoooly moooly I sure picked the wrong religion" afterlife home of good guys, though he never made any comment to that effect. Dude was about as out of place in heaven as I am in a kilt and tube top at the mall without combing my beard.

I disagree. You're talking about a world where a faith in something is not all that's required when you can go visit it.

The Witch Doctor went to the heavens and he saw it ruptured and torn apart by the Burning Hells. He believes in the Unformed Land a place he's also visited and a place in which spirits come from to communicate with him. A place where he can also conjure up great power. What do the Heavens have to offer him except for pretty views guarded by shortsighted-hooded-notions.

There is also nothing to say that his faith doesn't have any consideration for "the Heavens" or "hells". It's unlikely his "spirits" mention nothing of either.

He didn't seem out of place at all within the context of the game imo, only in the context of a pre-conceived "real-world" scenario.

05/30/2012 11:44 PMPosted by Gjorind
    The guys a hunched over, bone in his nose savage with shrunken heads, sacrificial daggers, masks, and voodoo dolls. And yet nobody ever seems to mention this to him in any noticeable way. Nobody else is a hunched over savage and nobody else is into sacrifices and shrunken heads. He's just plain out of place.

Rumford(I think) says it best of all when you first arrive in Tristram in Act I.
    "I've never seen anyone fight like that before..."
    He says it to everyone for sure but it's significant imo. From that point on you're too busy carving out a name for yourself as a hero and a savior to all those around you for them to stop and worry about your jewelry.

I mean would you query why no one gets upset by the Necromancers appearance?

I rather like the fact that the world of Sanctuary is so tolerant of people who are not yet guilty of anything other than coming from somewhere else and/or talking in a different accent. TBH, barely any two NPCs share the same accent unless they're explicitly locals like "villagers" or so.

05/31/2012 01:24 AMPosted by Wonderlust
    yeah but the over all theme of diablo world is more of a european + middle east type of world. and the wd feels like he belongs in the caribbean

Where in Europe or the Middle-East do you imagine that the Amazon is?
    I'd also say there are some Far-Eastern hints in Diablo. Sure the game itself is often set in the same area but the world is hinted at being a larger and more diverse place from which we can draw a pool of potential heroes.
    Edited by Erfivur#2632 on 5/31/2012 2:04 AM PDT
    Reply Quote
    After playing a little bit of every class, I have found that the Witchdoctor seems really out of place in this game, as if he doesn't belong at all

Interesting!

Are you referring to how the witch doctor looks (physical appearance + armor options) or how the hero interacts with other characters in the game and progresses with the story arc? Or is it all about gameplay, and what spells the witch doctor has in its arsenal?

This is just anecdotal, but I've experimented with all five classes on various genders, too, and the witch doctor (female) is my absolute favorite in terms of how she engages with the main the characters and responds to conflict, so I'm curious about what just doesn't "click" for you.

I believe that the physical appearance of the WD is very unique, and I don’t think there is anything wrong with have raining frogs slay your opponents. My concern is 100% based on the balancing issue, in terms of comparing WD to the other classes.
    So far I got a monk, a WD and a barbarian, all in lvl 60 and all progressing through inferno. I think all of the witchdoctors unique abilities are too weak, IMO the minions should gain survival stats from either your own HP or your intellect, they were far too strong on Hell, while still getting one shot in act 2 to 4 on inferno, even with all the tanking passives. Another unique playstyle is fighting through dots and curses, and to me it seems, that dots are simply too weak compared to straight out damage output, they nerf my damage in terms of taking up a slot, more than they actually do in dps, while the confusion spells leave you too close in combat to not be a tank.

All in all, I feel like I’m playing a DH, only using long-range direct damage spells, without having their unique playstyle. While some of these things might not be as extreme, on an almost perfectly geared WD, I still think you should balanced more around the under-geared metagame of today, especially when you keep talking about, how you avoid people getting geared up too quickly.
    Reply Quote

Interesting!

The Pets! Its all about the pets, I wanna play be able to play with those pet skills in inferno which is not possible right now after you hit act 2.
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]