Diablo® III

what's the use of of the Aidan retcon?

Why did they retcon the vessel of Diablo in Diablo II to be the elder son of Leoric? Is there any significance to this in the storyline now, he's mentioned just once or twice in DIII?

It seems strange as there's obviously no mention of him in the previous games. I can't really understand why he didn't just remain the unnamed warrior.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
05/31/2012 12:56 PMPosted by Dirach
It seems strange as there's obviously no mention of him in the previous games. I can't really understand why he didn't just remain the unnamed warrior.

Mostly to give Leah's father an actual identity beyond just 'That nameless guy'. It also tied Leah to Leoric, which means Diablo basically messed up an entire family, the father, the mother, both sons and the grandchild.

Lastly, it was to retroactively give the Warrior a bit of an identity. In the Book of Cain you get a lot more of this character's struggle and we even get some closure for him.
Reply Quote
It was just stupidity and bad cliched writing, period. He could have had the same impact as Leah's father if he had been the dark wanderer who killed D in D1 and happenned to be possessed by D at that moment in time. The mystery of the wanderer and of much of this world was something I'd hoped they'd explore more and more in the game and I ended up being dissappointed with almost every attempt to do so. Thats just my opinion and apparently the opinion of many others
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
05/31/2012 02:19 PMPosted by Shingram
He could have had the same impact as Leah's father if he had been the dark wanderer who killed D in D1 and happenned to be possessed by D at that moment in time.

Not really. The thing is, you could hint toward Aiden being Leah's father without specifically calling out that he was. It allowed Blizzard to skirt around the topic, without blatantly revealing who Leah's father was.

You couldn't have Adria's journal talking about how she comforted Aiden if he was called the Dark Wanderer.

"The warrior who defeated Diablo came to me. I comforted him"

Immediatel response by ANYONE: "Well, Diablo's Leah's father".

The only real reason this was spoiled so easily was that people knew Aiden was the Dark Wanderer via spoilers. While you could draw the connections and be pretty sure, if you didn't read the Book of Cain or read D3 spoilers, you'd maybe be surprised at who Aiden turned out to be.
Reply Quote
I don't really have a problem with it. The D3 storyline has bigger problems in my opinion, and the wanderer retcon, while seemingly pointless, has no real negative impact on the story. If anything, it adds a bit of depth to the warrior character from D1.
Reply Quote
He could have had the same impact as Leah's father if he had been the dark wanderer who killed D in D1 and happenned to be possessed by D at that moment in time.

Not really. The thing is, you could hint toward Aiden being Leah's father without specifically calling out that he was. It allowed Blizzard to skirt around the topic, without blatantly revealing who Leah's father was.

You couldn't have Adria's journal talking about how she comforted Aiden if he was called the Dark Wanderer.

"The warrior who defeated Diablo came to me. I comforted him"

Immediatel response by ANYONE: "Well, Diablo's Leah's father".

The only real reason this was spoiled so easily was that people knew Aiden was the Dark Wanderer via spoilers. While you could draw the connections and be pretty sure, if you didn't read the Book of Cain or read D3 spoilers, you'd maybe be surprised at who Aiden turned out to be.

The main hero from D1? The guy we played as for a third of the entire franchises history? The guy whose actions drove all of D2? That guy being Leah's father while possessed by D himself isn't as impactful unless he's also Leoric's son? OK that's your opinion but like Nick Fury says in the Avengers..."I recognize that you've formed your own opinion but seeing as how it's a stupid !@# opinion I've chosen to ignore it..." (Ok he says decision in the movie...ps having some fun with you don't take it personally. I do def disagree with you as stated above. BTW a pic of Fury with those words could make a great meme for forum use)

Upon rereading your response you seemed to have missed what I was saying.

I have zero problem with his name being Aidan and him and Adria = Leah. I just hated the whole Leoric's son bit (He clearly isn't but Blizz didn't do its HW or just lacks creativity)
Edited by Shingram#1112 on 5/31/2012 8:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
05/31/2012 02:32 PMPosted by Vladkar
I don't really have a problem with it. The D3 storyline has bigger problems in my opinion, and the wanderer retcon, while seemingly pointless, has no real negative impact on the story. If anything, it adds a bit of depth to the warrior character from D1.

This.

If there isnt an actual negative impact on the story then...whatevs.
Reply Quote
05/31/2012 09:02 PMPosted by Dioblastoise

This.

If there isnt an actual negative impact on the story then...whatevs.

The OP didnt say necassarily he had a problem he was just wondering what was the point and I agree I think it was borderline retarded to add to the story.
Reply Quote

The OP didnt say necassarily he had a problem he was just wondering what was the point and I agree I think it was borderline retarded to add to the story.

At worst it does this:

If anything, it adds a bit of depth to the warrior character from D1.

Unless it creates an obvious loophole, it comes down to personal preference whether you have a problem with it or not.
Reply Quote

At worst it does this:

If anything, it adds a bit of depth to the warrior character from D1.

Unless it creates an obvious loophole, it comes down to personal preference whether you have a problem with it or not.

It does again in D1 it's painfully clear he is NOT related to Leoric at all. hell he doesn't even recognize his own dead brother in the game if true. Cain has to tell him the dead kid on lazarus altar "the boy you described does not sound like Albrecht" LOL so Cain can tell if it's your bro based on your description better than you can tell with your own damn eyes? Again it just reeks of laziness and seems to indicate that they cared more about attaching the name Diablo to a good game just to be sneaks and get extra cash without caring much about the passionate fanbase that was eagerly and loyally waiting for the next installment

It's a stupid plot point added to make an easy impact but in the end it's just lazy. If Blizzard wanted to explore the character more there are a lot better ways to do it then simply coming out of nowhere to state he's Aidan son of Leoric. That was the way it was presented too. Very simply "Oh btw he's Aidan son of Leoric" For a revelation that should have an impact it was presented in a very very cavalier fashion. Cain did a better job unveiling the "truth behind the butcher" (yet another borderline retarded plot point btw) as far as something meant to be important. Sorry but they just did an awful job with this one and I don't really even see why they did it since it adds absolutely nothing. The intrigue and mystery behind the original hero was a lot more powerful then "Aidan son of Leoric" will ever be. In truth this Aidan crap will just be emblematic of the overall destruction this game did to the D franchise lore/atmosphere.

Here's an idea start the game out as a cinematic where Cain starts by reading from "The journal of the dark wanderer" and shift that to further cinematic or maybe even a PLAYABLE prequel where you are in Aidan's shoes and you return to old Tristram in D1 and walk around to familiar sites to find out everything you ever knew had been destroyed including your villagers and family. Quick clipshow of him narrating how he destroyed his father and diablo. Then in a rage have him drive the soulstone into his own head clearly establishing that he wanted to personally punish Diablo by being DIablo's own personal jailer. Could have given passionate fans a different view of the events iN D1 and introduced these arbitrary plot devices in a meaningful, fun, and ENGAGING way.

Then maybe even allow us to control the wanderer in a battle vs Tyreal to release Baal or again just show a quick cinematic recapping previous games events ending with something along the lines of "The worldstone has been shattered. Demons continue to pour unchecked into the land that I seemingly both damned and saved. Now after 20 long years the last remaining Evils set their plans into motion..." Or something to that effect and have the fallen star turn out to be Aidan, his soul having been freed from diablo's grasp being sent by the heavens to assist you in saving Sanctuary once again. Bam right there totally impactful, totally IMPORTANT and it satisfies old fans while introducing new fans to this universe in a PERFECT way.
Edited by Shingram#1112 on 5/31/2012 10:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I never played D1 and a lot of people who are playing D3 probably havent played D1 either...and never will. They probably actually did it for newer Diablo players to give players a richer picture of Leah's father.

Also, I dont think the lore or events provided in D1 was actually required to understand D2 or D3. Its not like the Mass Effect series where playable characters and allies continue on from game to game and are also closely linked. Where playing a previous game can really give you an insight into the characters motivations in the next one.

It was done to give people who hadnt played D1 something more to think about when it comes to Leah's father. That's about it. Nothing extra sinister or trolling when it came to that decision.

So again it doesnt really bother me and not minding it, or getting really annoyed by it - is like trying to argue if a person should like the colour blue or the colour red.
Edited by Dioblastoise#1730 on 6/1/2012 12:10 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Why did they retcon the vessel of Diablo in Diablo II to be the elder son of Leoric? Is there any significance to this in the storyline now, he's mentioned just once or twice in DIII?

As of now I see where you are coming from. This doesn't seem necessary, so Aidan killed his dad... Who cares, if my dad was the skeleton king I would kill him too.

BUT, this is Blizzard, I have a feeling that this will unfold an expansion, if not it was wildly unnecessary and I couldn't care either way.
Reply Quote
I never played D1 and a lot of people who are playing D3 probably havent played D1 either...and never will. They probably actually did it for newer Diablo players to give players a richer picture of Leah's father.

Also, I dont think the lore or events provided in D1 was actually required to understand D2 or D3. Its not like the Mass Effect series where playable characters and allies continue on from game to game and are more closely linked. Where playing a previous game really enhances the characters motivations in the next one.

It was done to give people who hadnt played D1 something more to think about when it comes to Leah's father. That's about it. Nothing extra sinister or trolling when it came to that decision.

So again it doesnt really bother me and not minding it, or getting really annoyed by it - is like trying to argue if a person should like the colour blue or the colour red.

Ur kidding with this post right...soon as you said you never even played D1 I knew the rest of this post was going to be completely useless and/or clueless.

Geez fella "I have no experience with the continuity nor have I ever played the previous installment that is being discussed in this thread but I'm going to tell fans who have how to feel and think about how badly blizzard butchered the franchise you established fans loved. At least it gave new players more to think about when it comes to Leah's father." There are so many insults I want to throw your way for this one guy. Classic example here of someone who needs to get their facts straight before weighing in on a subject or just shut up.

And how the hell does it matter to a new fan that the hero from D1 is Leah's father? They HAVE NO IDEA WHO THAT CHARACTER IS. It only affects people who already HAD an attachment to the character. If you are going to add to and/or change parts of the story established in previous installements of a franchise then you should be doing it to either

A) Recap for newer players and intro them to the ALREADY ESTABLISHED universe
Most importantly for any company looking to maintain a consistent and loyal following (I.e. make money on future games in the franchise)
B) Entertain the previous fans of an installment and expand on the mythology and story of the characters that they devoted countless hours/days/weeks to playing with.

What you are espousing is about the complete opposite of what this company should be doing. Goddammit. The worst part is as I've already said previously the reason why blizzard included this moronic retcon was prob to make Leah's father appear slightly more interesting.

No wait but again we come back to this point...why does he have to suddenly be LEORICS SON!? He could easily have been "The hero who killed Diablo in D1, who was then possessed and basically triggered every single event in D2 including being its original main boss. And he fathered Leah." Adding the stupid damn tidbit "Oh and he's leoric's son" adds NOTHING to new players because they have nothing invested in Leoric or any other previous characters.

That last paragraph there. That little tidbit which you are utterly clueless about...yea thats what this thread is about so since you have absolutely zero idea what is being discussed please !@#$.
Edited by Shingram#1112 on 6/1/2012 12:24 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Also, I dont think the lore or events provided in D1 was actually required to understand D2 or D3. Its not like the Mass Effect series where playable characters and allies continue on from game to game and are more closely linked. Where playing a previous game really enhances the characters motivations in the next one.

Ur kidding with this post right...soon as you said you never even played D1 I knew the rest of this post was going to be completely useless and/or clueless.

Geez fella "I have no experience with the continuity nor have I ever played the previous installment that is being discussed in this thread but I'm going to tell fans who have how to feel and think about how badly blizzard butchered the franchise you established fans loved. At least it gave new players more to think about when it comes to Leah's father." There are so many insults I want to throw your way for this one guy. Classic example here of someone who needs to get their facts straight before weighing in on a subject or just shut up.

Your really are butthurt about this right? You must have trouble sleeping dont you?

Guess what, a number of people in this thread have already said they DONT REALLY CARE EITHER way. Its inconsequential to them. But you need REALLY NEED TO HAVE EVERYONE LIKE THE COLOUR RED dont you?

I gave a reason as to why they made that change - and that was to cater to those who didnt play D1.

So come on insult me.....

and then get reported.......
Edited by Dioblastoise#1730 on 6/1/2012 12:23 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Your really are butthurt about this right? You must have trouble sleeping dont you?

Guess what, a number of people in this thread have already said they DONT REALLY CARE EITHER way. Its inconsequential to them. But you need REALLY NEED TO HAVE EVERYONE LIKE THE COLOUR RED dont you?

I gave a reason as to why they made that change - and that was to cater to those who didnt play D1.

Wow tough guy ona forum even started with an insult with the butthurt comment and then like a little kid hiding behind mommys dress you ended with "Im gonna report you if you insult me" what kind of pathetic person trolls this thread at 330 am just waiting for my response so that he/she can say THAT? You literally responded within minutes hahaha. Cool life bro. Again you're clueless, admittedly clueless so shut your mouth and let the adults talk k kid? I have had no problem with the opinion of anyone else because they actually played the previous games. YOU on the other hand for some reason seem incapable of making the very logical and reasonable assumption that someone who has never played the game and has no idea what's going on probably should shut up before mouthing off like a complete fool. Bye bye

PS I already answered why it doesn't cater to new fans AT ALL. but I guess you're one of those people with reading comprehension issues I hear so much about
Edited by Shingram#1112 on 6/1/2012 12:30 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Wow tough guy ona forum. Even ended with "Im gonna report you if you insult me" what kind of pathetic person trolls this thread at 330 am just waiting for my response so that he/she can say THAT? You literally responded within minutes hahaha. Cool life bro. Again you're clueless, admittedly clueless so shut your mouth and let the adults talk k kid? Bye bye

3:30 am huh? Shows your kind of mindset doesnt it? Not everyone is in your own little world or time zone. lol

Just because you think something is retarted doent mean everyone else has to think so too. Look at this thread and get a reality check. Youre the only one crying about it so much. The OP was merely confused and everyone else doent really care. But you must be so angry because your so sleepy at 3:30 am right?

Also, Ive never told anyone in this forum to shut up or dis them about their opinion. It was you who elevated the convo to a jaded natured, you should take a nap. Take a time out, and we can continue in the morning.
Edited by Dioblastoise#1730 on 6/1/2012 12:49 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Wow tough guy ona forum. Even ended with "Im gonna report you if you insult me" what kind of pathetic person trolls this thread at 330 am just waiting for my response so that he/she can say THAT? You literally responded within minutes hahaha. Cool life bro. Again you're clueless, admittedly clueless so shut your mouth and let the adults talk k kid? Bye bye

3:30 am huh? Shows your kind of mindset doesnt it? Not everyone is in your own little world or time zone. lol

Just because you think something is retarted doent mean everyone else has to think so too. Look at this thread and get a reality check. Youre the only one crying about it so much. The OP was merely confused and everyone else doent really care. But you must be so angry because your so sleepy at 3:30 am right?

Also, Ive never told anyone in this forum to shut up or dis them about their opinion. It was you who elevated the convo to a jaded natured, you should take a nap. Take a time out, and we can continue in the morning.

Read above posts to see why nearly everything you wrote here seems to indicate you just dont know how to read and/or are just trolling. I don't have time to teach reading comprehension

Any poster who knows what they're talking about fine...you with zero experience with the franchise = a person who is unintelligent and seems to be the textbook definition of a fool.

And did I read this right are yhou getting overly sensitive because I didnt recongize your time zone. LOL High level of sensitivity I see. Regardless if it's 3pm where you are still wasting your time argueing about a game you never played hahaha

So do you want to get back to discussing the point of the thread or oh wait you have zero idea what the OP is talking about b/c you didnt play the previous installments...
Edited by Shingram#1112 on 6/1/2012 1:15 AM PDT
Reply Quote
06/01/2012 01:11 AMPosted by Shingram
And did I read this right are yhou getting overly sensitive because I didnt recongize your time zone. LOL High level of sensitivity I see. Regardless if it's 3pm where you are still wasting your time argueing about a game you never played hahaha

I aint even mad bro about posting in my timezone. You're the one that started commenting how my life was so cool because I was posting at what - 6:30pm at night...?

Please...your life must be so much better because your posting at 4:00am in the morning in 12 different threads just to say Diablo 3 sucks in 12 different topics/contexts. Nice goals you got there kid.

But hey, obviously you're so butthurt about Diablo's story you have to be up at this time and r get it out of your system. Since you know, you must be losing sleeping over it...?

But whatevs, cool lives for everyone in this forum.....
Reply Quote
It does again in D1 it's painfully clear he is NOT related to Leoric at all. hell he doesn't even recognize his own dead brother in the game if true. Cain has to tell him the dead kid on lazarus altar "the boy you described does not sound like Albrecht" LOL so Cain can tell if it's your bro based on your description better than you can tell with your own damn eyes? Again it just reeks of laziness and seems to indicate that they cared more about attaching the name Diablo to a good game just to be sneaks and get extra cash without caring much about the passionate fanbase that was eagerly and loyally waiting for the next installment

<The rest of the post that this came from because it made my post too long so I deleted it.>

Woah woah woah. That was absolutely disgusting. Thank god you weren't on the writing team/design team for Diablo 3. Because, while Diablo 3 isn't perfect, that was pretty damn awful. First off, a playable prologue in a Diablo game would have a ton of people in an uproar. Sure, it's nostalgic. People like to play their own characters though. They certainly don't want to have to waste time playing a character that they will never have to play again just to see a recap of what they already saw or even a summary of what they hadn't seen. If they made it long enough to do the story for the previous games justice, it would feel too tedious to sit through. If they made it short enough that it didn't feel tedious, it would be so short it wouldn't do the first two games justice.

This is honestly just a minor change that you're blowing a bit out of proportion. Hey look, a character that had no identity whatsoever before now has an identity. Should we mention this minor change in a small conversation so that we don't have to name a character "Dark Wanderer" when it really sounds more appropriate for that character to be given a personal name to be referenced by, or should we prevent the player from using their character for the first hour of gameplay so they could see a recap of the first and second game with a name on the main character? I think the latter is just ridiculous. Nobody would even understand why it was there.

If you went on to give that prelude more purpose by replacing Tyrael with Aidan, you ruin the entire story for the first two Diablo games in a worse way than Diablo 3's retcons have according to you. One of the biggest aspects of Diablo 2 was seeing the character you played as in the first game become Diablo and die. There would be a mass fit about how corny it was to give that character a chance to come back to life. It would take away every bit of tragedy from the second game. Not to mention, he would likely have a recollection of what happened in his body while Diablo possessed him. In which case, he would likely become a literal father to Leah, and she would have been warned about Adria long before Adria could do anything.
Reply Quote
Well, Aidan is not the son of Asylla. After Leoric knocked up his Mother, he send her and her bastard child away, to avoid unnecessary gossip. Alimony payments were of course provided generously, and than Aidan went to military boarding school. He never seen his half brother, and people of Tristram never met him, until he returned after Leoric was murdered by Lachdanan.

I think it's a fine story, and makes perfect sense than some nameless dude appears out nowhere and becomes Diablo.

Besides, that makes Leah into Princess Leah, which is awesome.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]