Diablo® III

Point to salvaging vs buying?

Just out of curiosity, is there a point to salvaging subtle essence? When you salvage a blue, you get one subtle essence, but if you go to the auction house, you can get one for 24 gold and Blues typically go for a minimum of 100g when selling to an NPC vendor. Is there something i'm missing here?
Reply Quote
It's called supply and demand :)
Reply Quote
The chance and AH pricing for tooths/eyes.
Reply Quote
fallen teeths are also going for ~20g each. Salvaging is a waste of money
Reply Quote
After salvaging everything from my normal run, I've just learned this the hard way. I would have made a lot more money by vendoring everything. Salvaging is definitely pointless.

Having already made the mistake myself, I would recommend only salvaging just enough to make whatever item you want to smith.
Edited by SgtScooter#1108 on 5/18/2012 4:23 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I agree. I thought we were aloud to make rares, unique and set equipment from the black smith. I guess we are not.
Reply Quote
There is not point to salvage anymore because the game guide is false information. Tricky blizzard you!
Reply Quote
We are able to make rares and set equipment. We're just not able to do it until we reach the appropriate level. The game guide is out of date, the but items are listed in the game when you train the blacksmith up.

What we're saying is that there is no point to focusing on it so early in the game.
Edited by SgtScooter#1108 on 5/18/2012 4:41 AM PDT
Reply Quote
The economy is three days old.

Just cause items are listed, doesn't mean they are selling.

Salvaging and selling stacks will yield greater profit, more consistently than a single item. All players can use crafting mats, but not all players need your 1H fist weapon with x damage and x stat.

Set and high-tier crafting recipes are out there, I am glad we don't seem a huge swath of them in the AH, it means it won't end up like SWTOR where everyone had full set pieces and there was no oohs and aaahs to people having gear.
Reply Quote

Salvaging and selling stacks will yield greater profit, more consistently than a single item. All players can use crafting mats, but not all players need your 1H fist weapon with x damage and x stat.

Set and high-tier crafting recipes are out there, I am glad we don't seem a huge swath of them in the AH, it means it won't end up like SWTOR where everyone had full set pieces and there was no oohs and aaahs to people having gear.

even low level normal blues will VENDOR for 40+ gold. a single essence is selling for 21 gold. This isn't about putting items on the Auction House vs. salvaging them, this is about vendoring the item vs. salvaging it. It's utterly pointless to salvage any normal level item. It's vendor or AH only.
Edited by Asrrin#1906 on 5/18/2012 12:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote

even low level normal blues will VENDOR for 40+ gold. a single essence is selling for 21 gold. This isn't about putting items on the Auction House vs. salvaging them, this is about vendoring the item vs. salvaging it. It's utterly pointless to salvage any normal level item. It's vendor or AH only.

It's not about AH vs salvage but you say its vendor or salvage? even still:

If you are looking at GPD or even GPM it is best to salvage and AH. the ten items you list is only 1/100th of the items you could be listing with 10 stacks of essences on the AH. Vendoring should be last resort as your yield on the AH will be far greater for the essences than the yield for the blue at vendor.
Reply Quote

It's not about AH vs salvage but you say its vendor or salvage? even still:

If you are looking at GPD or even GPM it is best to salvage and AH. the ten items you list is only 1/100th of the items you could be listing with 10 stacks of essences on the AH. Vendoring should be last resort as your yield on the AH will be far greater for the essences than the yield for the blue at vendor.

How would your yield for the essences be far greater then vendoring if you can vendor the blue item for 40 gold but the essence only sells for 20 gold on the AH? By selling it on the AH you loss 20 gold per essence because you salvaged it instead of just selling it to a vendor.
Reply Quote
Ppl usually run thru normal, dont expect markup on normal materials to be great.

Look at hell and inferno materials and then say something about prices. And once RMT hits the auctionhouse, high end essences will be prolly traded for real cash...

I.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]