Diablo® III

Rapid fire - good?

I keep reading people talking about how amazing Rapid Fire with Fire Support is, and I'm wondering why. It seems... sucky, honestly. It burns through tons of rage while doing mediocre damage. Multishot benefits more from weapon damage and is infinitely more spammable with Fire at Will. I'd say it's a superior AoE overall from what I've seen thus far up to and including the first boss of Act IV Hell, who is pretty much THE AoE fight in the game. Rapid Fire with any rune seems crappy from my experimentation with it, which is really unfortunate because it looks awesome... but you're better off spamming Devouring Arrow for single target.

Not looking for a flame war, just honestly curious. Am I missing something about this attack that makes it as good as people are implying?
Edited by Maderas#1322 on 5/19/2012 6:05 AM PDT
Reply Quote
The fact that it roots you makes it impossible to use effectively on higher difficulties. That aside, it has the highest on-paper single target dps. As far as the hatred cost, that can be entirely negated with Marked For Death (Mortal Enemy). While you can get some good channel time in via SS (or if you're in a party with good CC), later on = good luck standing still often enough to use it without dying.
Reply Quote
Oh, yeah. Forgot to mention the whole standing still bit. Also failed to see how that's not a death sentence in anything higher than Normal.
Reply Quote
I used Bola Shot(Volatile Explosives) and Rapid Fire(High Velocity) almost exclusively through Hell and Inferno. I just finished soloing The Butcher on Inferno with Hungering Arrow(Devouring) and Rapid Fire(Fire Support) so it is entirely possible to use it on the higher difficulties.

Like Sublime mentioned, the cost can be negated (although from what I've seen only if you use Fire Support, the rockets seem to proc the Hatred from Mortal Enemy but not the normal RF damage) so if you can get some time to spam it, you'll melt your target pretty quickly.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Mage
Thank you Lava, finally someone to post an honest good review about rapid fire other than myself... it is OP as f*** if you know how to play right.
Reply Quote
I used Bola Shot(Volatile Explosives) and Rapid Fire(High Velocity) almost exclusively through Hell and Inferno. I just finished soloing The Butcher on Inferno with Hungering Arrow(Devouring) and Rapid Fire(Fire Support) so it is entirely possible to use it on the higher difficulties.

Like Sublime mentioned, the cost can be negated (although from what I've seen only if you use Fire Support, the rockets seem to proc the Hatred from Mortal Enemy but not the normal RF damage) so if you can get some time to spam it, you'll melt your target pretty quickly.

^ and the bat companion and sentry turret up attacking your Mark of Death Mortal Enemy, your hatred regeneration skyrockets. Even if you have to move the dps from it is still good.

Although there's no DPS meter or something like that, it will be hard to test which is the best. Some people swear to Hungering Arrows doing the most DPS and only use that without burning hatred.. *cough* you know who you are.

Use what you suits your play style!
Edited by Windchimes#1153 on 5/19/2012 6:49 AM PDT
Reply Quote
The thing about Rapid Fire, it's really bad for solo play 99% of the time. It only worked out well for me because of the 3 other people in my group and The Butcher encounter allowed for me to have long (relatively) periods of time to stand and shoot.

Here's the thing about the different abilities; they're all incredibly situational. Hungering Arrow(Devouring) does insane single target damage. Impale will get huge crits (Spike Traps(Long Fuse) will still do more consistently big hits though) and Elemental Arrow(Frost) is really great for AoE. However, they all have drawbacks. Hungering Arrow does crap for AoE, Impale is even worse for AoE and it's single target isn't great either. Spike Traps are worthless on anything with Teleport or Fast. It's all about finding the right shot for situation. But therein lies the problem. Once you hit 60, every elite pack gives you +15% MF (up to +75%), but if you change skills you lose it. So then it's about finding the balance between the best single target damage and the best AoE damage.
Edited by Lava#1597 on 5/19/2012 6:51 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I hate it and refuse to use it
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]