Diablo® III

Blue Respone as to why Blues>Legendaries etc?

Community Manager
Legendaries aren't better than average blues.

Grandfather 645 dps, i've seen 1handers with more dps.

How does this make any sense at all to anyone in the world?

I hope you're not just looking an item's DPS as to whether it's better or not.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
The chance of actually rolling a perfect item when you're dealing with 5 suffixes is actually REALLY bad. Like... getting struck by lightning multiple times bad.

Legendaries control this randomness by offering good stats. The numbers on the legendaries are random within a small range, but you won't have to deal with the 5th crafted item in a row with +life from health globes and +gold pickup radius.

Also, don't confuse true legendaries (orange background) with set items (green background) because they are very, very different beasts. Set items have random suffixes and can be complete !@#$, while legendaries are always very similar to each other (no different in TYPE of stat).

Bashiok, there are about 4-5 useful mods that can roll on an item. As far as weapons go it's just about dps, it could use some resists or vit on it as well but thats about as far as inferno usefulness.

This, plus the mods that come on legendaries are so weak, they don't have the same potential as rares.

To me it seems like this is blizzards ploy to increase items being bought and sold on the RMAH so they can get more cut. (Lower cost items are going to circulate more than higher cost items)

Edit: Also weapon damage is the MOST important thing on a weapon, bashiok have you played this game?
Edited by Miv#1758 on 5/19/2012 3:00 PM PDT
They will fix it eventually, this system is horrid and i think they know it. Its not fun finding a legendary then wanting to go cry in a corner because all that hard work finding it was worthless because the item sucks.

Like seriously make all legendary items level 60. There is absolutely no point of level 7 Legendaries.

The VAST majority of Legendarys ARE lvl 60.......
Community Manager
The problem is legendary items are complete garbage currently. It was fun to find a great legendary in D2. It is no fun to find rares. It isn't hard to understand, legendaries should be much, much better then they are, and there should be more of them.

Common, Blue weapons having double the damage on them then the "best" legendary weapons is a broken design, if your goal is to make a fun game.

I will take that feedback. Thank you.

As to the "more of them", Diablo III at launch has more Legendaries than Diablo II had at launch. I'm sure we'll add more as time goes on, but I do not agree that we don't already have a lot.
44 Tauren Paladin
hey what about the set items thous were like one of the badass things in D2 like thous ones if you got the full set you would get added ablites that you normaly wouldnt have or badass auras and extrdra......
86 Troll Priest
Legendaries aren't better than average blues.

Grandfather 645 dps, i've seen 1handers with more dps.

How does this make any sense at all to anyone in the world?

We're not the ones that made every ability in the game scale with dps, so a weapon with a lot higher dps and worse stats on it for you is still a better dps upgrade.

Loot is messed up, period. This is carrot on a stick gameplay. It's a simple idea. If most of the time you finally catch a carrot and it's rotten, eventually you just stop giving chase.

It also doesn't help that the crafting system is flat out terrible too. "Let's see, I can spend a *lot* of money and some materials(which also cost money) for a relatively low chance of getting something I can use and thus trying again, or just go to the AH and get it for cheaper."
Edited by Meia#1522 on 5/19/2012 3:02 PM PDT
90 Blood Elf Paladin

Bashiok, there are about 4-5 useful mods that can roll on an item. As far as weapons go it's just about dps, it could use some resists or vit on it as well but thats about as far as inferno usefulness.

This, plus the mods that come on legendaries are so weak, they don't have the same potential as rares.

To me it seems like this is blizzards ploy to increase items being bought and sold on the RMAH so they can get more cut. (Lower cost items are going to circulate more than higher cost items)

Edit: Also weapon damage is the MOST important thing on a weapon, have you played this game?

Legendary weapons could use a tune up, but I'm not sure the same weaknesses apply as much to its armor, where you actually need to look for useful stats.

They will fix it eventually, this system is horrid and i think they know it. Its not fun finding a legendary then wanting to go cry in a corner because all that hard work finding it was worthless because the item sucks.

Like seriously make all legendary items level 60. There is absolutely no point of level 7 Legendaries.

This is not World of Warcraft. You should leave your notions of what constitutes a legendary item at the door on the way in.
Does no one comprehend that the game has been out less then a week?

Legendary items have the potential to be INSANE, but, you need to roll "perfect" or near perfect stats for your char.

That is going to be really, really RARE.

THOSE will be the best items in the game, just look at the base stats for them, and picture them with a "perfect" set up, even "perfect" Rares will have a hard time competing with that.
The problem is legendary items are complete garbage currently. It was fun to find a great legendary in D2. It is no fun to find rares. It isn't hard to understand, legendaries should be much, much better then they are, and there should be more of them.

Common, Blue weapons having double the damage on them then the "best" legendary weapons is a broken design, if your goal is to make a fun game.

I will take that feedback. Thank you.

As to the "more of them", Diablo III at launch has more Legendaries than Diablo II had at launch. I'm sure we'll add more as time goes on, but I do not agree that we don't already have a lot.

Who cares if there are 50000000000000000 million legendaries at launch, if they are all bad what is the point of them even existing? Is it for the diablo 3 roll players?

There isn't even a transmog feature to take advantage of the cool models, I feel bad for the artists having their items sit in a stash or get auto-de'd.
Edited by Miv#1758 on 5/19/2012 3:02 PM PDT
Community Manager
05/19/2012 03:00 PMPosted by Meia
Loot is messed up, period. This is carrot on a stick gameplay. It's a simple idea. If most of the time you finally catch a carrot and it's rotten, eventually you just stop giving chase.

If you'd like to give any specifics I'd be happy to write them down.
Intended design is for an end-game characters to have a mixture of set/legendary, rare, and crafted items.

Legendary items are commonly not going to be the best items. It's a title that denotes a named item, with set stats, and a unique model. It does not mean they're the best items.

Completely random rares will be the best items in the game if they roll up the right stats.

This may just be my personal opinion, but that does NOT sound like a fun system.

Isn't blizzard motto to add a EPIC feeling to their games? I am sorry, but running around in blues and rares does NOT feel EPIC.
Intended design is for an end-game characters to have a mixture of set/legendary, rare, and crafted items.

Legendary items are commonly not going to be the best items. It's a title that denotes a named item, with set stats, and a unique model. It does not mean they're the best items.

Completely random rares will be the best items in the game if they roll up the right stats.

So is this to stop from having everyone using the same items?

But they are the same items because they will all just have the same 3-4 stats :/
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]