Diablo® III

Can't beat Izual on Nightmare.

Ok I'm a lvl 50 barbarian and I have tried every conceivable skill combination to beat izual on nightmare. I can take out about 30% of his hp in the first 10 seconds before my defensive wears off and he starts hitting me for 3k out of my 12k HP. Now the biggest problem i have is he charges and impales me for 9k+ and I absolutely cannot kill him because of this. Anyone have any tips? And I hit him for thousands of damage by the way so the dps isnt the problem its tanking his bull**** damage.
Reply Quote
Try using warcry with the 10% HP and life regen bonus, be sure to get inspiring presence passive for more HP regen. threatening shout will lower his attack and attack speed with the right runestone. Ignore pain through the freezes, frenzy with some life leech and seismic slam with the stun for the extra minions. Ground stomp for extra stuns, I think that just about takes care of it.

Also, you should have closer to 20k HP by level 50 it sounds like you're just stacking strength and ignoring vitality which is why you can't stay alive
Reply Quote
I was in the same spot with my barb with 12k hp except I was a lvl 49. I tried just about everything till finally I picked up that passive that I thought to be useless Bloodthirst. I went back to my pure dps build and took him down no problem. Berserker Rage, Weapon Master were my other two passives. For skills I used earthquake, battle rage, frenzy, call of the ancients, wrath of the berserker and rend.
Reply Quote
thanks Chili that helped me out a lot. I think i'd died at least 10+ times in a row, and had to repair 3 times O.o

After changing to templar with his heal abilities and warcry + inspiring presence i owned fase.
Reply Quote
I would sure be grateful if someone could offer further advice. I'm a Level 50 Barbarian with over 17,000 HP (capable of 21,000+) but Izual kicks my behind every time. I've tried all the advice above and while I've been able to last longer, I still can't get him below ~70% life. My armor is 2939 and damage is 1216. I've got the Templar with me to heal. I should be able to defeat him easily but haven't even gotten close. Anybody got ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?
Reply Quote
Rethink your strategy. Kite and kill the summoned oppressors until they aren't a serious threat. Keep moving to avoid any frost bombs. Then go for the kill. Whirlwind/leap/war cry are your friends.
Edited by BenHurt#1107 on 6/16/2012 9:49 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warlock
06/16/2012 09:46 AMPosted by BenHurt
Rethink your strategy. Kite and kill the summoned oppressors until they aren't a serious threat. Keep moving to avoid any frost bombs. Then go for the kill. Whirlwind/leap/war cry are your friends.

^ This, though my barb is specced slightly differently (no WW). Revenge is one of my best friends right after I stun him. I learned the strategy on Normal and it's been the same for me all the way through Hell.
Reply Quote
89 Undead Warlock
My success with lots of bosses changed when Izzy had me stumped on Normal.

Two things got me past it. Vitality gear, and changing my left click skill to bash/clobber for the stun effect.

Vitality gives you the life you need to handle adversities like being frozen or otherwise being unable to respond. The clobber rune on bash stuns the boss so often that they get a lot less of their nasty attacks and effects to go off on you and it happens less frequently, thus giving you more breathing room on keeping your health up.

You mentioned having 12K life. You can easily have twice that at level 50. In the gold AH it would take less than a million gold total to have 60-90 vitality on every piece of armor (less than $100,000 per piece). If you did bids rather than buyouts it is even cheaper, and frankly 90,000 gold is the MOST I remember paying for an item and I had 24k life at level 50.

Of course, you can also farm the armor and stop salvaging vitality gear. :-)
Edited by Midnight#1389 on 6/16/2012 10:07 AM PDT
Reply Quote
1216 damage is a little low. I did him with 12k hp and 2k+ damage. I attacked him when Ground Stomp and Leap with armor boost were up (chained serially) and used Furious Charge to escape. My healing was Inspiring Presence, Bloodthirst, and Rend. When those skills weren't up, I made sure to keep a circle between Izual and me so he couldn't charge me. I think I was using Battle Rage. Glass cannon Barb :)
Reply Quote
89 Undead Warlock
kite/hit/kite/hit.........................................................................../kite/hit

You should know how to play Diablo 3 being in Act 4 NM

Nobody rolls a barbarian with the intention of kiting.

It is counterintuitive, and you can get that far with almost no kiting.
Reply Quote
06/16/2012 09:53 AMPosted by Lapetitmort

^ This, though my barb is specced slightly differently (no WW). Revenge is one of my best friends right after I stun him. I learned the strategy on Normal and it's been the same for me all the way through Hell.

I love revenge, but when you are only fighting one opponent it doesn't fire often enough until you get the L52 provocation rune (which he doesn't have yet). The nice thing about WW is that with the hurricane rune he can continue to move at full speed, avoiding attacks and frost bombs.

In hell+, Revenge with the 30% chance rocks. I just wish it had a better indicator that it was "up" rather than just lighting up the hotbar icon. I run a 30" monitor at 2560x1600 and I barely notice the hotbar. It would be great if it created a new icon when it is active in the same vein as war cry or other semi-persistent skills and buffs.
Reply Quote
kite/hit/kite/hit.........................................................................../kite/hit

You should know how to play Diablo 3 being in Act 4 NM

Nobody rolls a barbarian with the intention of kiting.

It is counterintuitive, and you can get that far with almost no kiting.

Hence, my advice. No condescension, simply advice from experience (and my barb killed Izzie on the first try). Regardless of expectations, kiting is a must-have skill once you hit hell+ and have to face crap like invulnerable minions/waller/arcane enchanted/mortar mobs.
Reply Quote
89 Undead Warlock
I use the gold AH (if I didn't I'd be trading, so same thing), so I haven't had to kite much even in Hell difficulty in softcore.

However, I find that the stuff I can't fight outright like a barbarian often winds up being unbeatable even kiting it.

Of the packs I've had to try kiting, I'd say half of them were able to kill me repeatedly anyway, no matter how I approached them. Luckily, I only run into one or 2 packs like that each weeknight.
Reply Quote
05/20/2012 08:45 AMPosted by ColonelSieg
Ok I'm a lvl 50 barbarian and I have tried every conceivable skill combination to beat izual on nightmare. I can take out about 30% of his hp in the first 10 seconds before my defensive wears off and he starts hitting me for 3k out of my 12k HP. Now the biggest problem i have is he charges and impales me for 9k+ and I absolutely cannot kill him because of this. Anyone have any tips? And I hit him for thousands of damage by the way so the dps isnt the problem its tanking his bull**** damage.

Are you wearing whites/greys? Get better gear.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]