Diablo® III

Did the Auction House kill crafting?

So gems on the Auction House are incredibly cheap right now and I would think people are loosing money selling them for so cheap...I can save about 5,000 gold just buying a flawless square gem by getting it off the AH.

Also, the items you can smith are terrible compared to the weapons on the Auction House, why bother making a weapon that will be terrible and cost you gold?

You can also buy crafting materials in bulk for pretty cheap.

Am I missing something? Is crafting only good if it’s maxed out?
Reply Quote
my best guess is that either jewelers are bad at math or just enjoy losing money. Can't imagine why anyone would sell gems for less than it costs to make them. i can understand perfects and lower quality selling for less than it costs to make them, because you can just find them.
Reply Quote
Crafting killed crafting. It's just incredibly badly designed. If the AH didn't exist, people would still not craft, they'd farm for drops. The smith is flat out a massive and highly inefficient gold sink. It's pretty much the worst way to get gear in the game and horribly inefficient and simply not cost effective compared to any alternate method of gaining items.

They need to redo this. If you plopped this crafting schema in Diablo2, where no AH existed, people would rightly have ignored it then as well and stuck to farming runs.
Reply Quote
The people that are listing the gems have gotten them from random drops I would hope. But I think eventually the market will correct itself, but not for awhile, I also expect the the opening of the cash ah will also cause fluctuations in the market.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
my best guess is that either jewelers are bad at math or just enjoy losing money. Can't imagine why anyone would sell gems for less than it costs to make them. i can understand perfects and lower quality selling for less than it costs to make them, because you can just find them.

Im getting flawless squares dropping in Hell.
Edited by Vaelkyri#1967 on 5/20/2012 6:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
" Where do you think most of those weapons on the AH came from? "
um Mith hate to burst your bubble but the majority are random drops now
Reply Quote
75 Gnome Warrior
Crafting killed crafting. It's just incredibly badly designed. If the AH didn't exist, people would still not craft, they'd farm for drops. The smith is flat out a massive and highly inefficient gold sink. It's pretty much the worst way to get gear in the game and horribly inefficient and simply not cost effective compared to any alternate method of gaining items.

They need to redo this. If you plopped this crafting schema in Diablo2, where no AH existed, people would rightly have ignored it then as well and stuck to farming runs.

But you craft by farming for drops. It's an alternative use for the 'useless' drops (ie +str, +int badly aligned affixes). You can either vendor them for a tiny % of a the cost of a good item on the AH or DE them for a tiny % chance of making a good item.
Reply Quote
Gem crafting in D3 is about as useful as crafting high runes in D2.

The problem is that the gold sink (gem NPC) is not tied to the floating average on the AH which it really needs to be in order to have any function at all right now. I say "right now" because in 2-3 months once the goldsellers move in, inflation will come in a big way and the NPC prices will be more justified.

I guess its also worth noting that 99% of the time where crafting is easily accessable in an online game, people will sell well below cost in order to beat the competition, those crafters are the ones that use materials they hunt themselves and have a motto "if i didnt pay anything for it, it means my costs are zero to craft" and have absolutely no concept of opportunity cost.

Good luck competiting with them in crafting.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Crafting wasn't killed as such. It came out stillborn. :/
Reply Quote
05/21/2012 03:45 AMPosted by Igoboom
It costs a lot to combine a gem now because gold is still valuable. Just wait until 2 months from now when people will have billions, the small price will barely be noticeable.
Uh, have you played inferno? Yeah you can get some good drops to sell, but where do you think the gold is going to come from? Magically appear out of nowhere? No, it needs to be farmed from mobs, and they drop !@#$ all in relation to what most of these retards are trying to sell their bad items for.
Reply Quote
I get anywhere from 45 to over 1k gold per gold drop, it isnt all that bad. The costs are insane right now, crafting costs WAY to much, but thats because there isnt enough gold in the game yet. I just hope that the AH doesnt get saturated with good items or the prices will go down (when they should go up with gold being less valuable with more of it in the game).

Only time will tell how the AH/crafting system will work out. If good rare items are being sold for more gold, crafting might be useful for certain specific items, but most likely, AH will just destroy the crafting system :S
Reply Quote
I am putting money into crafting just because I want to get the achievements
Reply Quote
05/20/2012 05:15 PMPosted by Mith
Where do you think most of those weapons on the AH came from?

Drops. Certainly not crafting.
Edited by teko#1450 on 5/21/2012 11:07 AM PDT
Reply Quote
05/20/2012 05:11 PMPosted by Zallera

Let us assume two things:

• A chipped gem costs 1 gold
  • You need 3 chipped gems + approximately a fourth in gold worth to upgrade

This would mean that a radiant star gem costs 4^14 = 268 400 000 gold. Even if you ignored the gold cost of an upgrade, you a radiant star gem would be worth 3^14 = 4 783 000 gold.

I think blaming those jewelers would be the wrong thing.

To all those 'crafting sucks' people:

Yes, pre 60 it is retarded to craft items. Many of the good items should be available for 5k or 10k gold. The perfect ones will cost 25k - ?? though.

But if you are 60 and especially if you play hardcore, you will need ways to get even better items. Crafting 20 items of the same type would be a good way (assuming it is a maxed out item you craft), to sell 10 to normal vendors, sell 5 in AH for good gold, sell 4 in AH for great gold and use 1 for yourself.

If you manage to improve the best AH items only 1 time by 1-5% you will get rich because you crafted.
Reply Quote
That is a very good idea.
Reply Quote
Yep, it is killed, unless you're going for something above a Perfect Square .... Rubies too ... but mostly AH ... AND its the auction you can end at any time ... change prices ... I see the prices staying well for HIGH END gems if you're lucky to naturally find those pieces ... I get lucky and trade Topaz for Ruby or anything for Ruby .... but basically YEA ... the AH killed the crafting game for GEMS .... I'll still use it for item crafts ... because luck of the draw has been in my favor a few times .... however with gems ... you know what you're getting ...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]