Diablo® III

Affix Magnitudes Need Adjusting

Right now the bread and butter stats dominate this game. They have in almost every ARPG and it's made the item hunt lately incredibly dull. This was my #1 complaint for Torchlight and is now my #1 complaint for this game.

When I look for a weapon. I only want as much damage out of it as possible. I want anything that gives +damage. +attack speed is nice and prime stats are also very nice. Beyond that? Everything is awful...and the main reason is they just don't come in at high enough magnitudes to be useful. I've said this in other posts but my main example is the bleed affix you start seeing in Nightmare. When I start seeing it it will be in the range of a 15% chance to do 5-15 damage over 5 seconds. The elemental affix at this point is in the range of 20-40...at once...every hit. Why would I ever want a chance to do less damage over time instead of something that always does damage, does more of it, and does it all at once?

The special/flashy affixes have their magnitudes set so low they can never hope to compete with the boring bread and butter stats. If that bleed was something more like a 50% chance to do 500 damage over 5 seconds? That would be way better. ...or maybe if the bleed was allowed to scale with your primary stat and started at something like 60-80? It would suddenly be something cool to find. The same thing with crit. +1% crit just isn't that cool or exciting. +10% is. Sure it might then be possible to get some absurdly high crit values in the game....but honestly isn't that part of teh fun of a game like this is finding that kinda broken item or build to briefly trivialize the game until it catches up to you in difficulty? The fun and 'concentrated cool' of the item hunt is finding that thing that turns you into a badass for awhile and that change in power.

A smooth, linear power curve isn't fun. A jagged and stepped one is because for all the crap items and frustrating dry spells, the sharp spikes up are so incredibly enjoyable...and one big thing holding this back is how hobbled the ranges are for the more unique stats.

Change all the 1% chance to 10%. Change the number values on these to exceed what you can get on bread and butter and elemental stats...and suddenly people will care about them instead of just two stats. ...since if it's just two stats you want? It's not hard for a blue item to be one of the best you can get in the game since if it has other stats, they'll all just be fluff anyway.
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
signed
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
the absolute highest i've seen on a proc item is 1.6% chance to freeze/slow/stun ect, i could see low proc chances on freeze and stun but slow? we all have guerenteed slows already meaning if we need a slow we have a slow. instaid of being interesting that you can occasionaly slow some mobs it becomes useless to have.

+ direct damage stats are really powerfull since EVERYTHING is normalized meaning things that do damage over time deal slightly more damage with slow harder hitting weapons but the primary bulk of most attacks are instant meaning the faster you can swing them the more damage you can do, thsi for barbs for example makes +ele damage and +flat damage (+10-12) and +damage % along with +strength become by far better stats than anythign else except +attack speed.

Purple gem in the helm for +% life and red gem in the weapon for +damage and the rest +str and +life. i'm not seeing much different here than from D2. it does leave room for magic and gold find on items (since +str and +vit can be one affix) but other than % life steal (wich again barbs can get a base 3%) i'm not seeing alot ofu se for other stats. perhaps +resistances at higher levels or +physical resist would be nice to have but again will not really compare as favorably as straight +life or +%life.

and on top of that you have to actualy FIND this stuff. most of what i find are things like wands with +dex/str or for example i found a lv30~ crossbow with +150 str. i cant sell this and i cant use this. i hope that they take this to heart and get some of it evened out in the next patch.
Reply Quote
Agreed. Maybe make proc chance or item buffs relative to character level, armor, hp, crit chance.

Get creative ffs.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
Well put Vander. There is some good stuff out there with a lot of potential to be fun to play with, but the magnitude just isn't there to justify going away from primary stats.
Reply Quote
Something else that might be cool or make unique/legendaries/rares more fun is if affixes weren't just divided by difficulty but item rarity. So certain affixes *only* show up on rare or better items and some *only* show up on legendaries. I mean ideally legendaries have at least one affix no other item has....to make them stand out but then you basically have Blizzard come up with 222 unique affixes that only appear on one item each. (Which is a lot to ask when I have trouble coming up with more than 15 affixes to add)
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
05/21/2012 12:59 PMPosted by Vanderhuge
Something else that might be cool or make unique/legendaries/rares more fun is if affixes weren't just divided by difficulty but item rarity. So certain affixes *only* show up on rare or better items and some *only* show up on legendaries. I mean ideally legendaries have at least one affix no other item has....to make them stand out but then you basically have Blizzard come up with 222 unique affixes that only appear on one item each. (Which is a lot to ask when I have trouble coming up with more than 15 affixes to add)

To be fair I think the game is actually better when 2-5 legendaries get the same "unique" affix. Like the poster above me pointed out both shaftstop and string had redux and it was fine because some builds became viable by using both.

I think they wouldn't have to come up with much more than 20-40 unique affixes to make it feel "unique."

Also there is no issue if a low level legendary has the same unique affix as a high level one so that cuts it down even more.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]