Diablo® III

Any way to not hold Shift for most of game?

90 Human Mage
As a lazy wizard who believes in having spells do their work automagically, I'm growing pretty tired of holding down shift for most of my attacks. So lazy that some times I forget to, which of course always seems to be the exact moment that I run out of AP and the game "helpfully" decides to have me kamikaze into the monster pack so I can tap them with my wand while they pound me into oblivion.

Has anybody found a working set up (via mouse configuration, game configuration, windows program like AutoHotKey etc) that can make it so all of my mouse attack keys will always also hold down the shift key for me? When I push the key for Ray of Frost, there is 0% chance that I really mean "... and charge into the enemy the second I run out of power." I have no idea why that's the default game behavior but I want it stopped.

Bonus extra credit: any way to make the left mouse button mean "Move to this spot, no matter whether you think there is a monster near by or not." I know there is a bindable command for this, but the one key you can't bind it to is the one key I want it on: the left mouse button.

Thanks for any tips. I've got a Logitech G9 but am willing to look at another mouse if thats what it takes.
Reply Quote
i re-bind my stop key to either space bar for inferno, or to mouse button 4 for 1 handed hell farming.
Reply Quote
I have my shift key rebound to tab so its like 5 skills there, though it gets wierd sometimes when I have to hold down the mouse key as well, I wish I could rebind the spell to 1 key and move to another.
Reply Quote
my pinky hurts too. I started holding down shift with my ring finger.
Reply Quote
I use Z + X (pot) + C + A (buff) + side mouse button for AOE generally. Fingers feel gr@te
Reply Quote
Most of your attacks? You should only be holding shift if you left click. Anything else is going to fire that spell.
Reply Quote
I use my mouse button to stop and cast, very easy.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
05/21/2012 11:54 AMPosted by Shimond
Anything else is going to fire that spell.

Sure, right until you run out of Arcane Power. At that point it will stop firing your ranged spell, and start having you run into melee range so you can melee with your weapon.

I suppose this wouldn't be a problem if I spent the whole game staring at my power globe, but I don't, and I really don't want to have to. And I'd like the first clue that I'm out of power to be something other than I'm suddenly charging into certain death.
Reply Quote
Skills on QWER and stop on Shift makes things really comfortable.
Reply Quote
05/21/2012 11:57 AMPosted by Brialam
Anything else is going to fire that spell.

Sure, right until you run out of Arcane Power. At that point it will stop firing your ranged spell, and start having you run into melee range so you can melee with your weapon.

I suppose this wouldn't be a problem if I spent the whole game staring at my power globe, but I don't, and I really don't want to have to. And I'd like the first clue that I'm out of power to be something other than I'm suddenly charging into certain death.

This.

I went back to a wand for Quality of Life purposes and got tired of running in suicidal like whenever I happened to be out of power. Yea it's less damage, but I deal so much damage I care more about my suicidal tendencies of running back in if I have no power. Wish there was an option to not auto attack if you're out of a resource (happens on other classes too). That and the wand speed does help a bit when on the run kiting.
Reply Quote
Clearly it's set up this way because when I run out of AP everything in front of me is supposed to be dead so I run up so I can grab all the phat lootz on the ground. Since all too often when I run out of AP the monsters in front of me are so not dead, it's obvious that my wizard's damage is bugged and needs to be hotfixed so I do enough to kill everything with a full AP globe.
Reply Quote
The Razer Nostromo is the best device ever for this game. I noticed my hand was hurting during the beta and bought this thing. I highly, highly recommend it.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
05/21/2012 12:45 PMPosted by Magic
First World Problems

And here's some first world solutions:

Logitech, the maker of my mouse, offers a free download called SetPoint on their website. It allows you to remap any of the mouse buttons to any keystroke. So, for example, I remapped my Mouse4 button to send Shift-3 instead (which is "#"). 3 was my Ray of Frost, and I had previously used the in-game bindings to make Mouse4 another button for Skill 3, but now this does the same thing with the bonus of it'll never move me again. Perfect!

(To keep this from messing up anything else outside of game, the mouse supports 3 profiles, so I set one to be active whenever diablo3.exe is running and made the change only to that profile.)

That solved my mouse problems but what about keyboard hot keys? I found a free program at www.autohotkey.com for that. I made a little script that assigned F12 (which I never use for anything else) to be shift right click. There's probably a more elegant/direct way to accomplish this, but here's the first thing I tried that worked:

$F12::
Send, {Shift down}
Send, {RButton down}
Loop
{
if not GetKeyState("F12", "P")
break
}
Send, {Rbutton up}
Send, {Shift up}

That's a bunch of lines but all they really say is "If F12 is being held down, then hold down Shift+Right Click instead." The extra work is about dealing with the fact under the covers, holding down a key works a little differently than holding down a mouse button.

F12 isn't actually convenient to play with, but now that I have a key that does what I want I went back to SetPoint and mapped my Mouse2 to F12. Problem solved!

I hope this is useful for someone else. If you don't have a Logitech mouse, see what software is available from your mouse manufacturer. I wouldn't be surprised if they have something similar.
Reply Quote
05/22/2012 12:46 AMPosted by Brialam
First World Problems

And here's some first world solutions:

Logitech, the maker of my mouse, offers a free download called SetPoint on their website. It allows you to remap any of the mouse buttons to any keystroke. So, for example, I remapped my Mouse4 button to send Shift-3 instead (which is "#"). 3 was my Ray of Frost, and I had previously used the in-game bindings to make Mouse4 another button for Skill 3, but now this does the same thing with the bonus of it'll never move me again. Perfect!

(To keep this from messing up anything else outside of game, the mouse supports 3 profiles, so I set one to be active whenever diablo3.exe is running and made the change only to that profile.)

That solved my mouse problems but what about keyboard hot keys? I found a free program at www.autohotkey.com for that. I made a little script that assigned F12 (which I never use for anything else) to be shift right click. There's probably a more elegant/direct way to accomplish this, but here's the first thing I tried that worked:

$F12::
Send, {Shift down}
Send, {RButton down}
Loop
{
if not GetKeyState("F12", "P")
break
}
Send, {Rbutton up}
Send, {Shift up}

That's a bunch of lines but all they really say is "If F12 is being held down, then hold down Shift+Right Click instead." The extra work is about dealing with the fact under the covers, holding down a key works a little differently than holding down a mouse button.

F12 isn't actually convenient to play with, but now that I have a key that does what I want I went back to SetPoint and mapped my Mouse2 to F12. Problem solved!

I hope this is useful for someone else. If you don't have a Logitech mouse, see what software is available from your mouse manufacturer. I wouldn't be surprised if they have something similar.

love it, thanks for sharing.
Reply Quote
05/21/2012 04:01 PMPosted by Wire
The Razer Nostromo is the best device ever for this game. I noticed my hand was hurting during the beta and bought this thing. I highly, highly recommend it.

Razer Naga or Nex is better.

was thinking of shifting my primary spell away from mouse 1 to mouse 2
so now my mouse 1 is just to walk.
mouse 2 is primary so right clicking it shouldnt make u walk.

now my secondary and other spells are 1-5 and Pots at 6
Reply Quote
Shift is an idiotic button to use for stop. Use space, it's not used for anything and is SO MUCH EASIER to press and hold than shift.
Reply Quote
Brialam the G510 allows you to reprogram a ton of keys you can also easily use the 18 macro keys on the left side to basically do what you are looking for. G510 is a keyboard
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]