Diablo® III

Boss Loot Gives Me Junk?

The Skeleton King dropped 2 blues items when I killed him today on my Wizard in Nightmare. I have killed the Skeleton King 5 times before now and he (Along with all the other boss-type unique monsters) always dropped at least 1 rare and 2 blue items. They weren't necessarily useful to me, but 1 rare and 2+ blues struck me as a 100% droprate.

Am I having extremely bad luck with the loot table or am I experiencing an issue worth reporting?
Reply Quote
I've found it to be very common for bosses not to always drop rares w/o added magic find.
Edited by fluiddruid#1538 on 5/28/2012 1:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I just tried it on my barb in Nightmare, same thing happened. Then I started the quest from the beginning and still just junk.
I also want to note that the normal way the boss loot drops (Loot falls to the ground piece by piece while the boss' death animation plays out) didn't happen, just a meager pile of stuff all dropped at once.
Reply Quote
Bosses in Diablo 2 did the same thing. You had better drop %'s for the first time you did that quest, meaning you got a better chance at better loot. In Diablo 3 it's similar but restricted to Normal mode only, not Nightmare and above. Killing the bosses for the first time on Normal will usually give you a rare or two, and a few blues. On other difficulties this isn't the same.

This can only be done once per character.
Reply Quote
They stop dropping rares after you kill them for the first time. It is not a bug, it is intended. It's to remove the whole 'boss grind' aspect that was so prominent in D2.
Reply Quote
Does the aforementioned mechanic apply to only one character or your account? Because rares for Nightmare Skelly only dropped on my DH, but my Wizard and Barbarian get chump change.
Reply Quote
Still have this problem, gravely disappointed in the stuff I get.
Reply Quote
It only applies to your character. Not your account. This was made so so that you can go out and kill elites and play the game, not just farm a boss for the best stuff.
Reply Quote
To clarify, (Nightmare Skeleton King kills, chronological order)

Demon Hunter's Loot, First Kill: 2 rares, Miscellaneous blues, white items, and a sum of gold.

Wizard's Loot, First Kill: Miscellaneous blues, white items, and a sum of gold.

Barbarian's Loot, First Kill: Miscellaneous blues, white items, and a sum of gold.

Barbarian's Loot, Second Kill: Miscellaneous blues, white items, and a sum of gold.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]