Diablo® III

Demon hunter build help? i suck :/

So i am a lvl 36 demon hunter on nightmare act 1. I need help with a build and some tips to get me better because i find myself dying a lot. im a good kiter but now most of the enemies can catch up to you and attack while you are running. I would love any advice and help but I dont intend this to be a "rage on the noob" thread. Thanks in advance and heres my build info now:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#WRXTlV!Yce!Zbb.ab
Reply Quote
Lol. I was in a very similar situation. Now im Act 1 Hell Lvl 51. What i'm doing now is a bit different that what i used during your level though.

The build that got me past that difficulty spike from normal to nightmare is this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzD-Eh3MKSs&feature=my_liked_videos&list=LLcyA9hDx2XGbn-sjeUJWmHQ

Trust me. You're not bad, your build just sucks. Once you use this, u'll notice a dramatic spike in success! :D

Once you gear up a bit and gain more experience, you can change it up. I have friends lvl 60 inferno using sentry turret :P HF and i wish you the best of luck!
Reply Quote
@CryingClouds
thanks for the advice man (or woman based on your portrait), i hope this will help
Reply Quote
This is the build I like (except I have devouring arrow which you can't get yet, so I substituted)..

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#aRWXZQ!aWb!bZaZba

This build is a frost-arrow kite build. Basically you frost arrow kite, use smoke screen+speed to escape or whatnot, and setup for big impale hatred burns w/smokescreen protection when you can.

I have bolo, because I like to use it to AOE down things without burning hatred. I also find you can use the bolo timing powerfully... You can pre-bolo mobs on a pull and they don't react until it explodes. You can also bolo when mobs have dmg shield, and hopefully the shield will drop before they explode (if not maybe there are other mobs around to explode on).

Don't over-frost-arrow.. I generally get in 1-2 shots in between frost-arrow, to be sure I can keep my hatred at fully while using frost-arrow.

Once you get it setup and are happy with things, lay in with normal arrow spam interspersed with impale. Smokescreen if you want and you can stand and dps some more. Then run and resume frost kiting to build hatred.

Equipment...

Soon you should start looking on the AH for a 1h crossbow with +% damage, +attack speed, or both. Also search for reduced level requirement and set the level ranges of your search a few levels above your character.

You also should get a set of boots with 10%+ movement speed. It really really helps kiting.
Reply Quote
I have the same problem with you when i first entered nightmare Act 1. This is my current build and so far, it works for me.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#bUYSXV!aYc!baaaab

a bit slow when i play since i have to place traps instead of dealing damage, but at least i have less problem than before i use this build.

but Act 2... those monsters that keep jumping around and teleporting here and there... those i have lots of problem with =.='

lvl 40, only 1kdps.
Reply Quote
I have the same problem with you when i first entered nightmare Act 1. This is my current build and so far, it works for me.

a bit slow when i play since i have to place traps instead of dealing damage, but at least i have less problem than before i use this build.

but Act 2... those monsters that keep jumping around and teleporting here and there... those i have lots of problem with =.='

lvl 40, only 1kdps.

Why use primary hatred regen skills on both primary skills? The only skill that consumes hatred in your build is the traps.. If I were you I'd replace the grenades with elemental arrow (with bolt of lightning rune) and when you reach lvl59 the NT rune.

Just asking
Reply Quote
So I have this build now: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#WRdSXV!aYc!ZabaZb and i wanted NT but i cant unlock yet, so i was substituting with ball lightning. does this look better? and also i have 4890 health but i might want to go for regen instead of vitality. what do you think?
Reply Quote
active

1. hungering arrow/piercing or devouring

2. elemental arrow/ball lightning until nether tentacles

3. smoke screen/lingering fog

4. preperation/backup plan

5. caltrops/torturous ground

6. choose one more you like that doesn't cost hatred

passive

archery/steady aim/cull the weak or sharpshooter
Edited by w00dberry#1617 on 5/30/2012 10:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
With all due respect to the above replies, my gameplay hardly changed from level 20 to 55. The only change starting at 55 was the abuse of triple traps because its the highest dmg per cast skill in the entire game.

95% of my kiting involved
Caltrops -> Torturous Grounds
and even in inferno I wouldn't run without it unless I had a set 4 player runs with a comp im comfortable of picking defensive kiting off.

the 2s root effect to the first mob inside significantly helps to round groups up for far more efficient aoes and to get rid of that annoying one mob thats further from the pack and beating on you or forcing you to kite because of just 1 mob. It's also insane to setup traps especially in tight width areas like small bridges or doorways.

The remaining 5% is between vaulting through packs when i get cornered and smoke screening Frozen/Jails/Stuns/just long enough for Walls to fall off/etc.

As for damage dealing I find hatred generators to be very underwhelming compared to Bola Shot.
I used Rapid Fire for a while because I used to have decent enough gear to just lay 3 caltrops in a line and just empty my hatred in a single channel on elites which would usually kill most of the pack. I swapped to Cluster Arrow a little later after I noticed big mobs get hit by 2-4 of the grenades and even small moving mobs get hit by 1-2 making it do up to 400-600% weapon damage per cast versus bosses.

Anyway, down to linking what I would use from 36-55 if servers ever get stable enough for me to go play HC like in old D2 days.

36-55 build:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#WPYdXV!Yae!aaZZZb

55+ build:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#WRYSXV!aYc!c.Zaab
(just keep another rune in bola from 55-57)

You can always drop Vault and get another hatred spender thats more straight forward to use than traps at higher levels, or even drop vault and get traps at lower levels...but I find vault to be great to kite in tight areas...like when you run into elite the first pack of a level and you need to go through them back and forth. The stun effect is also sick to peel off your team/prevent the little treasure pigmy from porting :P

Sorry if it feels like a wall of text.
TLDR :
1 - use caltrops 2s root for absurd kiting
2 - triple spike traps(55+) is the highest damage per cast skill in the entire game and its very easy to stagger them using walls or tight width areas like bridges.

P.S. I soloed from 1-Inferno butcher. Have only been grinding gear and waiting for friends to level up for A2 on so I can't tell if the later build works from A2 inferno on.
Edited by Keau#1572 on 5/30/2012 11:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I can see why so many people run elemental arrow, especially in group play but to me, it feels like the damage it deals in aoe situation is only sightly better than Bola...and that its single target damage is underwhelming...which is somewhat normal since it has a good cleave and a very cheap hatred cost.

*Edit*
I guess having a weapon with +life on hit kinda offsets the loss of nether tentacles on elemental arrow is why i haven't stressed so much in my builds.
Edited by Keau#1572 on 5/30/2012 11:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote

lvl 40, only 1kdps.

Why use primary hatred regen skills on both primary skills? The only skill that consumes hatred in your build is the traps.. If I were you I'd replace the grenades with elemental arrow (with bolt of lightning rune) and when you reach lvl59 the NT rune.

Just asking

poor skill in trap placement :) burned through my hatred very very fast. still need to improve my skill so the grenade is mainly used to regen my hatred :P entangle shot is used to slow those pesky 1 or 2 monsters that somehow managed to sneak up on me. Like i said. poor micromanaging skill forced me to use 2 hatred generation skill since i barely have enough to place those damn bombs effectively.

@ Keau: I think I'm gonna try your style tonight :) although i admit i felt insecure when i'm not using entangled shot.
Edited by katabana#1994 on 5/30/2012 11:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Thanks for the help guys! between your help i have found a build that i am very good with. Now I just need the servers up to play!!!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]