Diablo® III

Soloing Inferno Diablo

Alright, let me preface this by saying I am one of the few vaguely legitimate players (let alone DHs) to have solo’d all the way up to Diablo in Inferno. I wouldn’t call myself strictly legitimate as obviously an actual solo’er would do so without using the AH or trading at all, good luck to that guy when he does it in a year or two. What I mean by legitimate is not doing the following:
- Buying Gold
- Pooling Resources from 20 accounts
- Listing expensive items at prices that only gold buyers could afford (gold buying by proxy)
- Abusing 3 second smoke screen
- Abusing broken chest spawns
- Extensively abusing mob AI

Unfortunately I now find myself at a nigh impenetrable gear wall. There’s 2 ways to approach Diablo, one being purely luck based and centered around having 180k + damage with sharpshooter, you win maybe 1/20 times due to massively outgearing the fight more or less. The other is a defensive build, and since the defensive build method seemed more skill based and slightly more affordable I tried to go that route. My stats are within this SS: http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/4100/defensey.png

Fortunately I was able to procure a solid 1h crossbow and shield for the low low price of 3 million, both items being worth roughly 10 million combined at this point. However, even with INSANE defensive stats for a demon hunter Diablo still 2 shots me with virtually any combination of attacks. Now; I can gradually progress through the fight based solely on luck. Diablo’s AI is pretty damn random, if he slowly walks 90% of the time instead of teleport chaining 7 times in 15 seconds then the fight’s pretty easy, if he doesn’t its pretty close to impossible short of having that impossible to acquire legit gear, but since the fight is so time consuming generally you’ll have a spot of bad luck somewhere along the way.

It would probably take several hundred attempts to solo but there is virtually no impetus for doing so other than being the only legitimate player who had done it with a DH, also I do have various illegitimate friends who I could easily group with and kill Diablo, I was hoping that there was another route to success in this game though. Plus, for 30 attempts and a lot less tedium I get twice as many achievement points! 2 times 0 is greater than 0. Want to play a difficult action RPG? Go play Dark Souls it sure as hell annihilates this game.

I realize this game is not skill based in the slightest and essentially a free to play MMO with just enough Diablo in it to be appealing to more than just WoW’s playerbase; but it would be nice to not have a giant “haha !@#$ you” sign sitting there. Wait for the RMAH to open and then you can progress! Or wait for a nerf/passive damage reduction talent for your class instead of the garbage like numbing traps. What does it cost to get better gear? 100 million, on the offensive or the defensive front. If I sold everything I could get maybe 50 million after a month of listing everything at gold buying prices.

There is no “I killed Diablo;” there’s “I killed Diablo due to buying gold to outgear it” or “I killed Diablo because my class was broken at this point in time” or “I killed Diablo because his AI decided to be retarded.” Now it is likely someone will luck their way to broken gear in a month or so, and maybe in a year someone will have acquired enough gear playing the game as a solo purist, but for those of you with any small amount of sanity left I’d just like to say: have fun grinding. Off to play a melee wizard in hardcore, the only fringe element of challenge that this game has.

Note: Izual is a repeatable fight assuming you have passable gear (~80k sharpshooter damage, probably doable with about 60k though), people just use horrible specs for it.
Reply Quote
Hmm, I beat Diablo on Inferno and I'm also a "legitimate" player. 50k DPS w/o Sharpshooter. Just don't get hit. The fight isn't too bad once you know how to work it.
Reply Quote
Diablo's not that hard, I killed him as a "legitimate" player, and I'd imagine most people that have killed him post nerf didn't use any of those "exploits". Just smokescreen and kite your add, diablo himself doesn't really do anything that would danger you.
Reply Quote
The teleport isn't luck. If you touch a map edge, he ports to you. If you don't, he harmless lumbers around like a glorified act one zombie. Or would you call that mob AI abuse? Your horse is so high I can barely hear you up there.

If you have a gripe with Athene and his unholy army of mindless peons that's one thing, but plenty of people have killed inferno diablo, solo, post SS nerf. It's not a luck or rng thing. His attacks, like any boss, are predictable and avoidable. You just sound like a person who wiped a bunch of times to a challenging encounter and are pissed because some others had success.

Hint: the people who solo him don't do it by spending 3 million on a shield.
Reply Quote
05/31/2012 09:57 AMPosted by mukunda
i need a good shield for butcher

That joke stopped being funny a long time ago...
Reply Quote
The teleport isn't luck. If you touch a map edge, he ports to you. If you don't, he harmless lumbers around like a glorified act one zombie. Or would you call that mob AI abuse? Your horse is so high I can barely hear you up there.

If you have a gripe with Athene and his unholy army of mindless peons that's one thing, but plenty of people have killed inferno diablo, solo, post SS nerf. It's not a luck or rng thing. His attacks, like any boss, are predictable and avoidable. You just sound like a person who wiped a bunch of times to a challenging encounter and are pissed because some others had success.

Hint: the people who solo him don't do it by spending 3 million on a shield.

PWNED
Reply Quote
You could always play with other players equally geared players and take advantage of their skills. I'm currently playing through inferno with a monk and a barbarian. Act 2 is easy, and we die maybe once every 15 minutes, and Belial is just a joke.

Sure the enemies health more than triples, and their damage goes up, but with buffs from the barb, my survivability more than doubles, and the monk debuffing and dealing damage it's way faster.

Inferno is easier with other players, as it was likely meant to be, at least in my experience. Alone I about once per mob, but not with others
Reply Quote
Never understood why any DH have so much issue with boss fights. I can see why people have issues with some elite packs like invulnerable minions, but boss fights are completely different. They're basically scripted so the boss does the exact same thing every time...

You don't need to out-gear boss fights to beat them. Just play it safe, you can avoid taking any damage at all on every single boss fight. Only people that should have issues with boss fights are people that aren't playing on their native region. When people play with like 300ms, that's when fights turn into luck.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]