Diablo® III

"You have been removed..." Error 316704

(Locked)

90 Goblin Warrior
I filed a ticket on this last night and I was told this problem is the same as Error 3007:
http://eu.battle.net/support/en/article/error-3007

It's definitely not... chat doesn't even work properly for me.

And I hate that crap about "bypassing your router". Really?!?! Let's point the finger somewhere else because our game runs perfect! /facepalm

Just to add more support / info to the use case, here's a detailed sequence of what happens:

• Game loads up fine, login works fine, hero select works fine, AH works fine, chat works fine (?), etc. (all *before* entering a game)
  • Once entering a game, the game plays smoothly and appropriately for at least 1-5 minutes. Although not confirmed, lack of the normal jibber on general chat room is suspicious. Also during this time, whispering or other messages silently failed to deliver
  • Framerate drops, game becomes sluggish, removed from game
  • Kicked back to the hero / quest select screen. AH button is grayed out, with tooltip saying it is temporarily unavailable. Trying to hit 'Resume Game' results in error 316704, as does trying to join anybody else's game.
  • Here's the annoying part: Hitting the log-out OR exit game button causes the game to hang indefinitely, and require force kill (since it's wine under linux, i have to 'kill `pidof Diablo\ III.exe`'). Despite the game 'hanging', the music keeps playing though, so at least some threads are still going and it's not a full lock up. It does respond nicely to the kill command, i.e. a TERM signal, by exiting promptly and ?cleanly? (as compared to having to kill -9 to *really* make for a 'forced' kill)
  • Restarting the game, this whole process starts over again.

Bumping / replying / requoting, to highlight the updates to the use-case checklist I posted before but couldn't finish the first time around.

It *is* suspiciously correlated with linux / wine usage, though at least it's good to know there are a few windows cases as well.

• It definitely seems to be a network related issue.
  • Considering it's widespread effects, we can hopefully rule out individual cases of ISP related problems.
  • The fact that we have plenty of people saying (including the 100+ hours myself) that the game worked perfectly fine up until 24-48 hours ago, and no (known) changes were made client-side, means it was either a server-side patch, or a silent client-side hot-patch.
  • It's peculiar how performance steadily declines over the course of a few minutes before being booted. Worth noting however, is that despite the game becoming pretty much a slide-show right before disconnect, it seems like everything done in game (including gold and item pick-up / sales) is retained.
  • A (native) windows client on the same network has similar performance drops and symptoms, but never completely drops or gets booted, and chat / messages becomes intermittent but continues to function.
  • In all cases, windows, mac, and linux + wine, EU servers operate flawlessly still, if not better than than the americas server ever has.
  • No firewall setting changes have proven effective, including putting affected client / machines in front of DMZ, disabling local firewalls, and even explicitly routing blizzard ports.

It seems odd that if it was a server-side change, that EU servers would continue to work. A previous poster with similar issues has also investigated the matter and noted that UDP traffic from the servers drops off right as the issues start to happen. Having done some game programming myself and known how most real-time online games function, the case of the UDP/unreliable stream going dark, and temporarily compensating over TCP/reliable stream would cause a scenario quite like what we're experiencing. As more packets have to be funneled from UDP to the TCP stream, the TCP stream tends to slow down and come in intermittent bursts as it wont hand over data until its reassembled properly. This whole problem then gets compounded by the client side reacting to intermittent bursts with it's own intermittent bursts, and the problem snowballs until a threshold of latency is crossed and the game considers us MIA. The TCP connections are still there though (thus why we can still see our friends list, any why our game data like gold pick-ups and monster kills DOES get recorded all the way up until the boot), however the avalanches of snowballing latency processing has left the client in a bad, instable state. Thus why the game is pretty much borked at this point, and trying to do nearly anything either gives an error, or leaves the game hanging.

I'm starting to think that possibly some networking tweaks at the OS / hardware level were made on the blizzard servers that are affecting traffic between linux hosts and the servers differently. Specifically maybe some UDP packet handling rules that only take effect in high stress / traffic scenarios that are handled slightly differently by wine/linux than windows/mac that result in different behaviors on the two systems. This could possibly explain why EU servers still work OK.

All this is just a theory, I'm not saying that this IS what's happening or that it's the ONLY explanation, I have no evidence beyond my own inferences from my own experiences and what's been posted here by others. I however will most likely do some more testing when I get the chance to verify / validate the probability of the scenario I've hypothesized.

Still though -- to blizzard -- we know you don't 'support' linux / wine targets, but that doesn't mean you can't help us help ourselves by throwing a little information our way, so that we can make fixes ourselves on our own time and dollar.

Still though -- to blizzard -- we know you don't 'support' linux / wine targets, but that doesn't mean you can't help us help ourselves by throwing a little information our way, so that we can make fixes ourselves on our own time and dollar.

this
Edited by DancingBear#1791 on 6/5/2012 10:42 AM PDT
YEA
Responding to say that I am having the exact same problem as mentioned in other posts.
Running fully updated Arch, wine 1.5, fully patched.
Only exception is that I do not experience any slow down of FPS before being removed.

Mainly I am just bumping this thread in the hope of getting some sort of response. I won't badmouth anyone just because they aren't responding quickly or whatever but I do not believe that Blizz will do anything so long as most Win7 users are happy. The best we can probably hope for is that they will reveal in general terms what they have done so the community can develop its own work-around.

There's a thread for this in the AppDB now, btw.
90 Tauren Druid
06/05/2012 10:39 AMPosted by Rick
The fact that we have plenty of people saying (including the 100+ hours myself) that the game worked perfectly fine up until 24-48 hours ago, and no (known) changes were made client-side
This describes my situation. I did not run any updates on any software withing 48 hours of the bug preseting.

Worth noting however, is that despite the game becoming pretty much a slide-show right before disconnect, it seems like everything done in game (including gold and item pick-up / sales) is retained.
I can't swear that I've noticed slowdown, but I have other performance issues, so I may have just not noticed. As for retaining gold, etc, it appears that you character also immediately leaves the game. I can say this with some confidence because my hardcore character is not dead, despite some very inopportune timing. All gold, new loot, etc, appears to be retained.

Yes, I'm hoping they don't give us the shaft. If they do, I won't be bothering with their future products, but I'm not sure they care :(
90 Tauren Druid
Edit: false alarm. It appears if you create a game and leave within a few seconds, the bug does not occur. The problem persists.
Edited by mashdar#1871 on 6/5/2012 11:20 AM PDT
6 Gnome Warlock
as of today, is Agent.exe producing similar output to:
"download_complete" : true,
"speed" : 0.000000,
"baseline" : ""
}
Handle Event: "shutdown event"
Unregistered Periodic Event: "shutdown event"
Handle Event: "auth validation event"
Removing uri "/update/diablo3_enus" since it has no process interested in it.
Request Issued: DELETE /update/diablo3_enus
Database Remove: /update/diablo3_enus
Deferred delete of 'async_task' Resource
Queue 'async_task' Resource for delete

It seems odd that if it was a server-side change, that EU servers would continue to work. A previous poster with similar issues has also investigated the matter and noted that UDP traffic from the servers drops off right as the issues start to happen.

I took a tcpdump of an entire game session (4-5 minutes before disconnect) to identify any connecectivity issues, and there was no UDP traffic at all except for DNS. All communication with the game servers was done over TCP.

Are people seeing UDP traffic?
View profile
i just got removed it lagged out horribly on my connection :(.
Did the problem just go away for everyone else?

I just copied the Diablo III client from Win7 to my Linux box, changed the line:
# HardwareClass "1"
from 3 to 1, and the problem was gone.

Interesting, going back on linux and I'll give it a try

My linux "D3Prefs.txt" already had a HardwareClass of "1" when I was having problems, so it is likely uncorrelated with the disconnections. I unfortunately won't be able to play-test until later this evening, to see whether or not the problem "just went away".
If I were to guess, they started using some extra windows network feature to improve stability and/or increase security (we do know they have plenty of problems on thaside) which Wine does not support.

Similar to the AcceptEX issues for those that know about it.

So even if everything been working so far, it wouldn't be their fault but wine's for not supporting it.

However, it sure would be nice of them to do something about it eitherway, or at least release some info about it so people can work on a fix on wine's side more easily.

(tried again, still not working)
90 Tauren Druid
Can anyone confirm that this is affecting 32-bit Wine?

And just to reitterate, the
# HardwareClass "1"
did not work. I falsely thought the bug happened any time you manually left a game, but it appears that something has to happen during the game (not sure what). If you create a game and do nothing for a few minutes, the bug happens, but if you leave within a few seconds of joining, no bug occurs.
06/05/2012 11:35 AMPosted by Mashdar

Well, you have to be using 32-bit wine to run d3 (if your wine can also run 64bit stuff, it's likely a wow64 setup with both version of wine co-existing)
I am getting the same problem with wine 1.5.5 and 1.5.4 on Ubuntu Oneiric. Besides just being "removed from the game" though, I'm also having the game client just randomly close with no error message or explanation. As if I hit alt-F4. I'm also getting weird graphic glitches on in-game text.
Edited by Lenymo#1288 on 6/5/2012 11:47 AM PDT
Also type /who in the general chat will crash instantly

See if running Wine with heap monitoring enabled helps:
WINEDEBUG="heap+warn" wine Diablo\ III.exe
I am also experiencing the same problems as everyone in this thread. Ubuntu 11.04 64-bit, Wine 1.5.5 patched, US servers.
figure I'd mention, that I'm also seeing the same problems. Wine 1.5 Fedora 16 64 bit. Was working until last night. >:(
90 Tauren Druid
06/05/2012 11:40 AMPosted by Evanidus

Well, you have to be using 32-bit wine to run d3 (if your wine can also run 64bit stuff, it's likely a wow64 setup with both version of wine co-existing)
Ah, yeah this is the first time in a long while that I've used a 64 bit kernel. I didn't realize that the default Wine build is 32-bit regardless of kernel.

That said, are there people on a 32-bit kernel experiencing the problem?
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]