Diablo® III

Wizard So Squishy....

Alright so I have just entered Nightmare with my pretty well equipped monk and have decided that I would like a change ... hello Wizard. With the help of a couple of friends, I have completed act 1 Norm and am sitting at level 15 with 1100 HP and almost 300 dps. I just started act 2 solo and have instantly found out that I am almost getting 2 shotted by small groups. What gives? Does it get better? Also, what is it with Arcane Power? I cast 3-4 Arcane Orbs and am empty. Does that get any better? Any advice/help would be awesome.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Which defensive skill(s) are you using?
Reply Quote
Wizard is so easy... Have the Templar as your assistance for solo play and you'll do fine
Reply Quote
yeah, wizards are incredibly squishy, im playing my inferno wizard and no i cannot solo elite mobs on inferno i can however solo hell with no problems at all, my advice is to make some barb/monk friends and play with em, when they start seeing you crit for 100k+ with volatility disintigrate explosions, they will have no problems keeping them off you

as for the meantime however, try focusing on just one skill, i usually used ice beam for solo play till i got disintigrate use your other slots to increase your power (like magic weapon or the dps increase rune on familiar) and defensive skills (like diamond skin and energy armor)
arcane orb is generally only good if you can manage to bunch them together. use something like ice beam and give a couple magic missile shots then run, repeat until they die. if kiting isnt your thing, your either playing the wrong class or need to find some friends
Reply Quote
^ irony since wizards/witch doctors are the only two classes that can SOLO inferno.
Reply Quote
wut. my wizard with very crappy gear went into act 2 with 700 health and 80 damage and went though it np. AP isn't meant to be a bottomless resource. It takes a little bit of micro but it's easy enough to manage. It's meant to be depleted. I used a crappy electrocute/arcane torrent build just because arcane torrent is fun to use and I didn't have any issues. Any of the three defensive abilities you get in act 2 are perfectly viable though diamond skin is the easiest to use. I'd say skip tornado though, wave of force is way to valuable early on and tornado is way to unreliable and terribly situational. Otherwise attack move and profit
Edited by latentpoison#1504 on 5/20/2012 3:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
05/20/2012 03:33 PMPosted by Vagrancy
^ irony since wizards/witch doctors are the only two classes that can SOLO inferno.

can solo an inferno BOSS maybe, elite packs on the other hand? doubtful
soloing diablo =/= soloing inferno
champ mobs are much more powerful than the end act bosses.
EX.
yellow in inferno today
affixes Horde invulnerable minions mortar frozen
yeah....
Reply Quote
05/20/2012 02:55 PMPosted by Kenobi112
Alright so I have just entered Nightmare with my pretty well equipped monk and have decided that I would like a change ... hello Wizard. With the help of a couple of friends, I have completed act 1 Norm and am sitting at level 15 with 1100 HP and almost 300 dps. I just started act 2 solo and have instantly found out that I am almost getting 2 shotted by small groups. What gives? Does it get better? Also, what is it with Arcane Power? I cast 3-4 Arcane Orbs and am empty. Does that get any better? Any advice/help would be awesome.

I entered Act 2 with very similar stats, though my DPS might have been lower. Nothing got close enough to hurt me really. They are squishy, but so far I'm just decimating everything, up to act 3 so far, and still no deaths.
Reply Quote
haveing a job that has mandatory over time sucks not even level 20 yet on my mage(
Reply Quote
83 Undead Mage
I was finding wizard very squishy as well. then I hit 15 and got electrocute and things are going a lot easier.

I find getting surrounded by a lot of mobs with yellow elites give me a lot of trouble. I usually try and use frost nova and wave of force to get some breathing space. I think I have been using the scoundrel so will sitch over to templar and see if that makes it easier.

I was switching between arcane torrent and arcane orb as my AP skill but was also using frost ray for a while but arcane seems to hit multiple mobs which is helpful.

and yea I am only playing on normal.. I suck but when I can stay connected it hasn't been too bad tho I only have two characters thru act 1 and another almost through... maybe I should just focus on one :P
Reply Quote
Okay...thanks for the input everyone. Another quick question in regards to stats. Should I gear toward Damage > Intelligence > Vitality? And then when it comes to health...leech or on hit?
Reply Quote
On hit is going to be better for most of normal. Once you get into the late 20's though lifesteal really starts to outscale on hit or on kill. And yes +damage is always going to be the most bang for your buck as it's added before all of the multipliers.
Reply Quote
05/20/2012 05:54 PMPosted by Kenobi112
Okay...thanks for the input everyone. Another quick question in regards to stats. Should I gear toward Damage > Intelligence > Vitality? And then when it comes to health...leech or on hit?

damage 1st (depending on if your going solo build or not) and as far as health goes, leech is generally better than on hit ive seen
Reply Quote
There isn't a need to start life leech until you hit Hell difficulty. For normal and NM, just get +damage on weapons and rings, int and vit on everything else. Should be easy enough.
Reply Quote
Step 1: Get Energy armour with Force armour
Step 2: sacrifice ALL your vitality for Int and get SOME health regen
Step 3: ?????
Step 4: Solo Inferno

Yours sincerely,
Act 2 Inferno Wizard who is yet to struggle with anything (minus mortar and vortex which I chose to skip)

Edit: Make sure you grab Galavanting Winds passive with energy armour for a free 310 regen per second, and grab teleport or diamond skin for extra defence if needed, I run my wizard with ONLY 10k health in Inferno and im looking to DROP that further, the lower your health the more efficient HP regen is with energy armour + force amour.
Edited by Fayne#1190 on 5/20/2012 8:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
05/20/2012 04:03 PMPosted by Zaldarius

can solo an inferno BOSS maybe, elite packs on the other hand? doubtful
soloing diablo =/= soloing inferno
champ mobs are much more powerful than the end act bosses.
EX.
yellow in inferno today
affixes Horde invulnerable minions mortar frozen
yeah....

As long as I have room to kite, champions should not be a problems. Was farming inferno up to Butcher to get more gear and wait for my friends to catch up. Frozen and mortar are the easiest to deal with, waller jailer also. invul + horde sound scary but I havent meet one in my entire D3 time, nor my friends so I doubt it exist.

As someone said, WD and WZ are only 2 classes capable of soloing inferno ATM. They are squishy but if you are good at kiting, their ranged attack and escape mechanic can (somewhat) trivialize many mechanics.
Reply Quote
Step 1: Get Energy armour with Force armour
Step 2: sacrifice ALL your vitality for Int and get SOME health regen
Step 3: ?????
Step 4: Solo Inferno

True story. My wizard I play with has 8k hp but a lot of int. But every creep need 3 hits for him.
With Crystal Armor you are like invicible for the duration cause you just take about 3k Dmg each hit. I get 2 Shots from every fkn creep on inferno, but he solo akt 4 with a little effort
Reply Quote
70 Human Mage
Get used to actively dodging projectiles and kiting ... a lot.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]