Diablo® III

Diablo 3 vs Torchlight 2

Skill System:

Diablo 3 - Able to change on the fly, runes change skills dramatically, no unique snowflakes.

Torchlight 2 - Traditional D2 system, expensive/impossible to change, much more customization.

Loot:

D3 - Rarity means nothing, able to acquire best in slot from any monster. Legendary items and sets only available as a foundation, not the goal.

T2 - Traditional D2 system, bosses drop unique items, item sets scattered throughout the game. Potential for boss farming.

Price:

D3 - $60+

T2 - $20

Gameplay:

Identical.

Story:

D3 - (Mostly) well written lore, supported by books.

T2 - Not a lore focused game.

I'm not going to share my opinion between the two as to not derail the topic, but I'm interested in seeing what the community's opinion is between the two games.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/5386232/
Reply Quote
82 Tauren Paladin
D3 is also a much larger scale game. What's your point?
Reply Quote
I played D2 for days, weeks, probably months of playtime.

I burned through Torchlight once, was bored of it before I hit then end of it and then uninstalled.

I've already played D3 twice as much as I played Torchlight, could care less about Torchlight 2.
Reply Quote
Diablo 3: jugs.

Torchlight 2: no jugs.

Instead people should be talkin' about a game I got for $2, Nation Red.
Edited by Reumor#1968 on 5/21/2012 3:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote
You get what you pay for.
Reply Quote
Stop using the "snowflake" term. Its beyond stupid.
Reply Quote
D3 - online only
T2 - offline, lan(i think), online

Even though I'm a big blizzard fanboy, dying for an hour on a boss because of server lag is kind of a pain in the !@#$.
Reply Quote
My main issue with Torchlight 2 is that everything, especially characters, looks too corny and childish.
Reply Quote
82 Tauren Paladin
There's a reason why TL2 is only $20. It's a cheap budget title that lacks depth. You may not be happy with everything about D3 but the quality of the game is superb like every Blizz game.
Reply Quote
05/21/2012 04:02 PMPosted by MetalFig
My main issue with Torchlight 2 is that everything, especially characters, looks too corny and childish.

The last time they tried to make something realistic and gritty it ended up being hellgate london... yeah.

Well not the same company but very close to it.
Reply Quote
82 Tauren Paladin
05/21/2012 04:08 PMPosted by GeminiEclips

The last time they tried to make something realistic and gritty it ended up being hellgate london... yeah.

Well not the same company but very close to it.
The art style isn't what made HGL suck. I love bright, cheery colors but TL2 looks like it's a free-to-download game from Nickelodeon.
Reply Quote
Here is how I look at it from played the torch light beta without much bias
- The main complain for torchlight was the limited content
- This has changed even from what I have gathered from just playing the beta, the "dungeons" are more open like diablo, and there are more monster variety
- the skill set is somewhat limited
- this however has not changed much, the skill is not as "hardcore" balanced and precise as Diablo, in the beta, I think some skills are way to over powering
- the skill system in diablo 3 is in my opinion at the moment, superior as it offers more variety and more precise in the "mathematics"
- The story, well lets just say both game in my opinion is not really story focused, but diablo 3 has a slightly better lore system
- The pet system in torchlight is just awesome, although d3 has improved with the anywhere free portal system, but it is nice not to go back to town in mid of a fight
- Torchlight 2 has a fishing system plus a crafting and jewel system much like d3 (d3 does not have fishing, but fishing doesn't really help that much mostly for fun)
- D3 and Torchlight both offer online (D3 online only, but I'm ok with that, find lots of people to play with that way)
- Combat, I feel D3 is for the more hardcore players especially harder mode, where in torchlight I just smashed around was still fun, not sure how hard later gameplay is.
- T2 from what I understand will still offer mods, D3 not really sure, but probably no so called "cheating" mods
-Graphically, although I have alot to complain about D3 graphics, but in all honesty D3 does offer form what i can see better graphics than T2, although I hate how they don't animate you using weapons in D3
so in conclusion, both game offer very similar game play, where D3 is more hardcore especially when pvp comes out, and t2 is more "casual", they are both very good games.
Edited by Fumaster#1507 on 5/21/2012 4:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Torchlight 2 has better loot. Right from level 1 you're able to find affixes that give interesting bonuses like knockback, cast speed, or on-hit procs.

You have to slug through D3 twice to find anything more interesting or beneficial than +Primary Stat and +Damage, possibly attack speed. If I didn't play these games for the fun of wildly varied and heavily randomized loot, I'd say D3's sheer production values and polish would grind TL2 to dust. However, I DO play for loot, and D3's item variety is an utter, watered-down joke.
Reply Quote
I wanted something like diablo and the best way to satisfy me is get diablo 3. Torchlight was too uninteresting but it did help a little.

I cant complain about Diablo's game quality since blizzard makes quality games during the PC's golden age.

However, my only complaint is that blizzard is too worried about the RMAH thus making D3 online only and its also because of the offline cheating then using characters online. I wouldn't mind if they would include an offline only content that couldn't be used online so I could play D3 in peace when my net connection goes crazy and the online only stuff for those who are really hardcore and want their game to go the extra mile with AH, RMAH and multiplayer.

Anyway torchlight 2 would be a definite purchase on my list as it could satisfy my lust for loot at times I wouldn't be able to connect online and play D3

Edit: Im in it for the loot and grinding since I rarely see western games that requires grinding and has lots and lots of loot
Edited by TowerBooks#1324 on 5/22/2012 6:25 AM PDT
Reply Quote
You cant exactly dislike a game developed by a company with a number of former members of Blizzard North's staff in it and has music composed by Matt Uelman.
Reply Quote
05/21/2012 03:56 PMPosted by KibaAzure
D3 - (Mostly) well written lore, supported by books.

d3 story was horrendous crap and if you played the other games you already knew most of it
Reply Quote
I pre-ordered T2 because it came with free T1. :)

I say, Torchlight is a nice way for me to kill time until Blizzard finally decides to allow offline play.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]