Here is how I look at it from played the torch light beta without much bias
- The main complain for torchlight was the limited content
- This has changed even from what I have gathered from just playing the beta, the "dungeons" are more open like diablo, and there are more monster variety
- the skill set is somewhat limited
- this however has not changed much, the skill is not as "hardcore" balanced and precise as Diablo, in the beta, I think some skills are way to over powering
- the skill system in diablo 3 is in my opinion at the moment, superior as it offers more variety and more precise in the "mathematics"
- The story, well lets just say both game in my opinion is not really story focused, but diablo 3 has a slightly better lore system
- The pet system in torchlight is just awesome, although d3 has improved with the anywhere free portal system, but it is nice not to go back to town in mid of a fight
- Torchlight 2 has a fishing system plus a crafting and jewel system much like d3 (d3 does not have fishing, but fishing doesn't really help that much mostly for fun)
- D3 and Torchlight both offer online (D3 online only, but I'm ok with that, find lots of people to play with that way)
- Combat, I feel D3 is for the more hardcore players especially harder mode, where in torchlight I just smashed around was still fun, not sure how hard later gameplay is.
- T2 from what I understand will still offer mods, D3 not really sure, but probably no so called "cheating" mods
-Graphically, although I have alot to complain about D3 graphics, but in all honesty D3 does offer form what i can see better graphics than T2, although I hate how they don't animate you using weapons in D3
so in conclusion, both game offer very similar game play, where D3 is more hardcore especially when pvp comes out, and t2 is more "casual", they are both very good games.
Edited by Fumaster#1507 on 5/21/2012 4:37 PM PDT