Diablo® III

Boon of Protection Hotfix - 5/22

I think it was a mistake to point this out specifically when I'm sure it will be one of many things hotfixed. Monks are going to think that they're the only ones being hit.
My main is a Wizard but I plan to play Monk as my 2nd.

Can someone in the know please explain why this is being removed?
This was kinda op for Normal / Nightmare and Hell, but at the same time , it wasn't that effective in INFERNO where Barbs and Monks are struggling.

When do we get the proper patch notes though? like the ones where we see new item affix's and suffixes and a game that is entertaining like d2 was.
Edited by Knyaz#2422 on 5/22/2012 9:43 PM PDT
wow... just wow... monks ? really ?

/facepalm
Is there anything else that's doing ten times what it's intended to do? I find myself often going from 40k health to zero in less than a second. It's hard to get out of the way when you've been frozen. Yea... you can move away from those things too, but you're going to miss one now and again. Group games just make it worse.

Those champion mobs should seriously be the primevals. Have you guys tested them versus the actual act bosses? Just spawn one act boss and one appropriately leveled champion pack with fire chains and frost 'sploders and have them go at it.
05/22/2012 09:39 PMPosted by Hatsune
Not force armor but this? Any monk can attest to its power?

This was the most broken thing EVER... I was running a build where I generated a lot of spirit (with crit) and a lot of +life on spirit spent. The result was SPAMMING this aura (I mean > once per second activation) with each activation healing me for >5k health and putting a shield on everyone in the party for 15% of their vit (which happened with high frequency). It is so powerful that it made hell trivial and allowed me to solo act 1 of inferno easily - while killing elites! (I did not get to play act 2, since I got hacked...)
05/22/2012 09:39 PMPosted by Hatsune
Not force armor but this? Any monk can attest to its power?

I'm only in Nightmare so I can't say much. I can say that I used it as my main Mantra and spammed it in fights. I don't think it was overpowered though.

Considering that people are saying that Monk dies in 1-2 hits in Inferno and all his other defensive abilities have a cooldown, it sounds like Boon of Protection was the only thing going for Monk.
Community Manager
05/22/2012 09:41 PMPosted by Rhyno
I think it was a mistake to point this out specifically when I'm sure it will be one of many things hotfixed. Monks are going to think that they're the only ones being hit.

No doubt, but considering the change being made we felt it would have the greatest impact if someone was unaware, and a larger hotfix list couldn't wait. As I said we should have all the hotfixes we've been implementing in a post up tomorrow, and overall are working on our hotfix communication process for Diablo III.
Edited by Bashiok on 5/22/2012 9:45 PM PDT
This is why they are patching it: http://www.diablofans.com/topic/42795-updated-for-inferno-solo-monk-build-for-inferno-and-under/page__st__40

Sadly it was the best way I've found to be able to survive in Hell. :(
Wait, so you're going to take it out entirely?
Community Manager
05/22/2012 09:45 PMPosted by Blackwood
Wait, so you're going to take it out entirely?

It's essentially being nerfed to the point of obsolescence until we can implement a new rune in its place in a future patch.
Since this is my primary mantra, I guess I'll have to contribute. The Boon really isn't that powerful considering I just got owned in 2 seconds in Hell mode by about 20 normal monsters, and my level 59 Monk has over 30,000 HP with around 3,000 defence. Not too sure if I'm doing it wrong but this game is definitely a lot more challenging than Diablo 2, and I love it!
We're in the process of removing the on-use benefits of the Mantra of Healing rune, [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/class/monk/active/mantra-of-healing"]Boon of Protection[/url]. The hotfix change is:

• Amount of damage absorbed is now capped at the amount of healing provided by Mantra of Healing in the first 3 seconds after activation

We recommend discontinuing its use until the rune is replaced with a new rune and mechanic in a future patch.

The Boon of Protection rune was approximately ten times over its budget on the benefits it provided, and it was quite simply a mistake on our part to let the rune ship as it was. We don't intend to take these quick and drastic measures often, but considering the severity of the issue, we felt it important to correct it swiftly.

We're shooting to post a full list of recent hotfixes tomorrow, and will be looking to answer questions once that's live.

It'd be nice to get some sort of buffs to monks then. Even with 10k hp in Nightmare difficulty, with 110+ DPS weapons, I'm still struggling to fight elite mobs due to our lack of survivability in melee. I'm constantly regenning and healing health but enemies with permutations like fire chains, vampiric, etc are just incredibly powerful and often kill me fairly easily.

Monks could do with some more survivability, and it sounds like Barbarians could also use some buffs to their melee survivability. Either that, or permutations like fire chains should be held back a little bit, as ranged characters currently have a huge advantage (The biggest dangers to barbarians/monks are molten and fire chains, dangers that ranged classes can easily outmaneuver)

Edit: I was wrong. I actually have 10k hp in Act 3 Nightmare. I regularly hit for over 1000 damage. I'm constantly regenning with Mantra of Healing while using Transcendence for more healing yet an elite with molten or fire chains and I'm pretty much done.
Edited by Tree#1693 on 5/22/2012 10:04 PM PDT
Cool... There goes all my survivablity in the game... Glad to know that I now get to spend all my gold on repairing my items cause I'd be dead every couple of seconds... Shielded for the first three seconds so now I get a shield that's lets see 3270 and that's IF I'm even alive to use it cause chances are I wont cause I just got either two shotted or one shotted! Amazing that's a whole what 1/8th of the damage they actually do? :)

05/22/2012 09:46 PMPosted by Bashiok
It's essentially being nerfed to the point of obsolescence until we can implement a new rune in its place in a future patch.

All great and dandy but now the Monk class is dead late game until some unknown time... Now what?
Edited by Churche#1840 on 5/22/2012 9:51 PM PDT
85 Worgen Hunter
When wil you be concluding the European Maintenance? or is it no longer maintenance and is a path itself? give me a time please! been waiting in my computer for about 3 hours now
85 Undead Rogue
lol at nerfing the only tanks we have in inferno, yet letting wizards abuse mechanics.
Edited by xSlingshot66#1795 on 5/22/2012 9:48 PM PDT
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]