Diablo® III

Speed matter much? Weapon attack speed??

Speed matter much? Weapon attack speed??
Reply Quote
1 Draenei Warrior
Here's how it works:

Weapon damage (as in the damage the weapon does per swing, multiplied by all the modifiers like glass cannon and int) = Damage used in all spell calculations

Attack speed = Stat used to calculate animation time when casting a spell

Using Blizzard as an example:

Slow hard hitting weapon: Higher damage blizzard, takes longer to cast the actual spell
Fast weaker hitting weapon: Lower damage blizzard, spell animates faster

In both cases we're only talking about animation time, not duration of Blizzard.

Which of those two do you prefer? Most would probably say higher damage, but I suppose it could make it a little harder to kite since cast times are slower.

Personally I prefer slow 2h.
Reply Quote
yes but i see ppl casting 10 shock pulse while i can only cast 5? same time
Reply Quote
1 Draenei Warrior
Of course, yours hit harder, they cast more. When spamming signature spells, 1h/oh will likely outperform 2h. When casting things like Blizzard and Hydra while kiting though, I think 2h is king.
Reply Quote
any one using a 2h in infierno?
Reply Quote
Anyone using 1h in Inferno?
Reply Quote
most of the post i read from ppl that are doing well in infierno are usin 1h
Reply Quote
People use 1h in Inferno because defense > offense there. I just got to Act II and I'm actively searching for a 1h dagger to maximize my attack speed.

I bought 2 14% aspd rings for cheap, and luckily a 12% aspd set armor dropped for me recently.

The problem is that 1h weapons are incredibly expensive. I bought my 850 DPS 2h for 75k, but a comparable 850 DPS 1h is over 500k-1mil minimum. Even if you account for a left hand - say, you equate a 750 DPS 1h with a 850 DPS 2h, the price is still over 300k, minimum. I think it's ridiculous that mages can't use a 1h weapon of equal DPS without shelling out 500% the price of a 2h.
Reply Quote
i agree i see 1200 weps for way cheaper than 700 :(
Reply Quote
People use 1h in Inferno because defense > offense there. I just got to Act II and I'm actively searching for a 1h dagger to maximize my attack speed.

why do 1h have better defense?
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin

Because Wizards survive based on casting their defensive spells, and 1h cast faster. Teleporting away from the attack that is going to kill you in 0.5 seconds instead of 1.05 seconds is a substantial improvement.

I have no idea if 2h weapons get more stats on them than 1h weapons, but if not, the ability to have something in your off hand also helps, since that's more defensive stats you can have.

The big benefit of 2h weapons is channeling spells. The damage output is normalized so two weapons with the same DPS will deal the same damage over time when channeling Disintegrate or such. However, the cost is not normalized, so the fast weapon gets charged the AP cost to channel the spell more often. This doesn't matter much in Inferno since channeling spells are mostly a death wish.
Reply Quote

Because you can equip a shield or source with a bunch of defensive stats.

Really, if you're still a bit weak, find the best item you can for the price you can afford.

I found a 1000 dps 2hander with 275 vit and 150 int for 200k, so I'm using that even thought I know it might be better to use a 1hander - I just can't find anything comparable.
Edited by Jansen#1158 on 5/25/2012 7:38 AM PDT
Reply Quote
but is it worth it lets say a 700 dps 1h compared with a 1300 dps 2h? both around 800k
Reply Quote
05/25/2012 07:38 AMPosted by SuperMiguel
but is it worth it lets say a 700 dps 1h compared with a 1300 dps 2h? both around 800k

Depends on the stats as well, and also consider the additional gold cost of a good source/shield.
Reply Quote
I've been doing inferno with a barb that's tank specced and geared, so I'm focusing more on damage. I'm using a 2h and using venom hydra and arcane orb as my main attacks. Since he's keeping everything slowed and controlled, my job is to pump out the damage so he doesn't have to tank for a really long time. So far it's been working pretty well. Obviously it won't work for everything, but no spec/gear set up short of full 25mil gold items will.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]