Diablo® III

Spike traps and Caltrops with 'Bait the trap'

Has anyone else used this combination?

I'm in the end of act II (inferno) and have found it to be a really outstanding combination. Spike traps do a lot of damage (275%), and if you rune it with 'Scatter' you'll end up with 3 traps. With a little micro that's 825% damage to a single target and the price is not that high: 30 hatred - it works even better on mobs; the total damage gets easily way over 1000%.

But if you use caltrops with 'Bait the trap' it works even better. Standing on such a caltrop gives you 10% extra critical hit chance - so, the 275*3% damage has a high chance of being a critical hit. Playing with good equipment and the 'Sharpshooter' passive ability pretty much make at least one of the traps being a critical hit.

The shooting you're doing while on the caltrops also gives a 10% extra chance. On a side note, when the enemies reach your caltrop they're slowed for 60% speed in 6 seconds.

What are you guys thoughts on this? Ever tried it?

This is my build:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#aRSXYV!YTe!YccZcb
Edited by ErisDiscord#2496 on 5/27/2012 3:22 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I don't really see a need to use Caltrops Bait the Trap when Sharpshooter gets you to 100% crit for free. Doesn't seem worth losing the other/better rune effects on Caltrops.

The major draw of Crit damage is that you can use Sharpshooter to guarantee that your first four or five Nether Tentacles and all the traps you place before combat will crit - most enemies will not survive your initial burst.
Reply Quote
The first hit is a success, yes, but inferno elites aren’t going down in one hit. In long battles the 10% is very good – especially because the base damage of spike traps is that high. 'Bait the trap' turns caltrops into an offensive weapon while it still has a defensive aspect attach to it.

While kittin' away from elites for me it usual 3 spike traps and 2-5 elemental arrow (ice runed) that all have 10% extra critical hit chance.

I can’t see how a 0,5 second stun caltrop beat that.
Reply Quote
Yup, just cleared act III and IV with this build.

Although I love using Tactical Advantage...
Edited by cH053n#1415 on 5/27/2012 4:23 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Yup, just cleared act III and IV with this build.

Although I love using Tactical Advantage...

Nice to know somebody else finds this to good use.

Have not tried Tactical Advantage out in inferno yet. Will try, thanks for the tip!
Reply Quote
actually I think this makes much sense, you place down caltrops, stands near the end of it, keep shoooting, and as soon as someone triggers it, vault away or use evaisive fire, or SS out and now they're slowed while you put distance away from you

the biggest problem Im finding is the invisible guys who dont even show up until they're in melee range, this will help a ton because it'll slow them as soon as they get close, giving you reaction time to get away and shoot them before they can attack you.

though not too helpful when being swarmed, but still it has it's uses.

great idea
Reply Quote
actually I think this makes much sense, you place down caltrops, stands near the end of it, keep shoooting, and as soon as someone triggers it, vault away or use evaisive fire, or SS out and now they're slowed while you put distance away from you

the biggest problem Im finding is the invisible guys who dont even show up until they're in melee range, this will help a ton because it'll slow them as soon as they get close, giving you reaction time to get away and shoot them before they can attack you.

great idea

For the invisibles just mine the caltrop you're standing in when they're invis. They pop up next to you, then you SS and they go boom. The wait time usually gives your crit chance a nice rise as well while you wait for them to re-appear.
Reply Quote

great idea

For the invisibles just mine the caltrop you're standing in when they're invis. They pop up next to you, then you SS and they go boom. The wait time usually gives your crit chance a nice rise as well while you wait for them to re-appear.

sorry I didnt word it properly, thats what I meant, I should have started with the problem first, and how this is the solution for those situations
Reply Quote
10 Pandaren Warrior
I use Caltrops with Bait and only have 1 question. Is the 10% AoE good when it is laid down or just after it is triggered? Makes a whole lot of difference re: proximity to bad guys.
Reply Quote
View profile
12/14/2014 08:10 PMPosted by Szechwankong
I use Caltrops with Bait and only have 1 question. Is the 10% AoE good when it is laid down or just after it is triggered? Makes a whole lot of difference re: proximity to bad guys.

The chc bonus is added to "you" (there's a buff icon) and updates when an attack triggers. Your spike trap will have +10% chc (cap at 75%) whenever you stand within your caltrops. Which means you need to be standing in your caltrops when the spike trap explode to benefit (or whatever attack you just made need to hit while you stand within your caltrops).
Reply Quote
5/27/2012
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]