Diablo® III

Tera might be the worst game i've ever played

EDIT: Some seasoned players have made some legitimate posts in this thread debating what I've said, so take mine for what it is (my opinion)

Just wanted to post this in case anyone here was actually considering getting this game. Good god its a trap avoid at all costs. I had EXTREMELY low expectations for Tera. Looked like a typical mass-produced korean MMO that will probably be F2P in 2 months so I passed completely on the open beta. Then all of my friends started bugging me to get it since release at the beginning of the month so I decided what the hell I'll pick it up and have fun with them for a couple months to pass some time until GW2 comes out...everyone made it seem like the combat was loads of fun and the environments were so gorgeous and blah blah blah...still had low expectations but hey at least the combat was supposed to great.

Anyway, I picked it up yesterday.. couldn't stomach more than an hour of it. It far surpassed any low expectations I had. I had the bar set waaaay too high. It's touted as being a "true action MMO" just because they got rid of locked on targeting in favor of an FPS style crosshair with highly mobile combat and dodging/blocking types of mechanics...from what I understood it was supposed to play more like God of War or Devil May Cry than an MMO. This all sounds great until you get in to the game and realize you have to stop moving to use any of your abilities. Like...literally any of them. I rolled an archer because I thought it would fun and mobile kind of like playing an FPS...yeah no you can't even use your basic physical attack without standing still. If I'm running and left click to use my physical 'auto-attack' my character stops and I have to wait for the !@#$ing 2 second animation to finish before I can move again. Same with every ability for every class. Can't even queue abilities. You jump and you can't even attack until the entire jump animation in finished. Not only that but each class is locked in to using one type of weapon for the entire game (the one you start with) This %^-* makes WoW combat feel like white-knuckle edge of your seat action.

Furthermore, the graphics that look so pretty in the trailers are rendered completely obsolete by the fact that the max view distance possible in the game (maxed graphic settings) is like 10 yards in front of you even on a monster gaming rig. This game has worse pop-up than PC racing games from 1999. Please do not buy this game. I wasn't entirely thrilled with how D3 turned out but after playing Tera I'm an even bigger blizzard fanboy than I ever was. DO NOT BUY.

/blog

Yeah I'm sure I'll get flamed for even buying it. I deserve it entirely.

EDIT: added paragraphs!!!!

another edit: people seem to be coming to the conclusion that i don't like it because it actually takes skill. What I was expecting based on what my friends were saying is that it actually would take a HUGE amount of skill. Now keep in mind I don't care about this MMO so I don't have anything invested in it (other than my $50!!) From what I've seen (from my play and watching level 60 hard mode dungeons on youtube) it takes absolutely no more skill then any other MMO on the market, which is next to nothing. It's just another slow, boring, gear-based combat system. So you dodge an attack every few seconds...hooray. The enemy winds up the attack for like 6 seconds..I'm sorry that doesn't seem very 'action-combat' to me. I thought it was going to be extremely fast and twitch-based combat that actually had a high skill ceiling. That's sort of what the entire game was sold on.....From what I've seen this is completely false. But again this is my opinion.
Edited by Hex#1926 on 5/31/2012 5:53 AM PDT
Reply Quote
If you actually read the post it has nothing at all to do with it being a grind fest. I don't care about interesting quests/lore in an MMO personally.
Reply Quote
TLDR: Can't attack while moving, bad graphic pop-ins, auto-attack takes 2 seconds.

^^
Reply Quote
View profile
Name one Korean that doesn't a Korean made MMO.
Edited by PhazeDelta1#1119 on 5/31/2012 4:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Yeah the game is complete garbage. I didn't even get past the intro zone during open beta because the controls/gameplay/graphics were so meh.
Reply Quote
Oh man that's bad lol.

Whats the point of the crosshairs if you have to stop to fire.

Glad I skipped that one
Edited by IRONLEG#1213 on 5/31/2012 4:19 AM PDT
Reply Quote
05/31/2012 04:18 AMPosted by Reznor
Game rocks, 1/10 for typing more than a few sentences, the effort was there but the facts are not.

Please explain. I'm not even kidding I want to be missing something so I don't feel like I flushed $50 :/
Reply Quote
Seriously, i just think you suck at it.
I have a few friends who play it and love it.. And the combat is what i like about it.

And it looks great. To the others saying it's a korean grinder. Lol what is WoW?
It's just grind, blizzard releases a new expansion, more grind, until blizz releases a new expansion, more grind.. until....

They will keep doing it you know, and it's the same everytime. You need to grind for new Pixels that nobody cares about, it gets old, new expansion comes, grind some more, rinse and repeat.

Stop saying all korean mmorpg's are grinds, they are all grinds.
Mmorpgs was the reason i wanted in the field in the frist place, it just sounds 2 good to be true, release expansion (Everybody wants to see the new stuff!!1!) make them grind for new pixels, release a new expansion (Everybody wants to see the new stuff!1!1!)
They applaud you for it, while you take their money... It's sooo sweet ^^

I wish i got there sooner... All those moneys...
Reply Quote
05/31/2012 04:23 AMPosted by Lazerus
You realize if you could move while autoattacking, ranged classes would be so rediculously broken it wouldn't even be funny right?

Couldn't they just balance the whole game around that then? I'm just confused because what's the point of making the main selling feature of the game "action combat" if you have to stop to attack.....it feels more sluggish than tab-target MMO's to me.
Reply Quote
Seriously, i just think you suck at it.
I have a few friends who play it and love it.. And the combat is what i like about it.

And it looks great. To the others saying it's a korean grinder. Lol what is WoW?
It's just grind, blizzard releases a new expansion, more grind, until blizz releases a new expansion, more grind.. until....

They will keep doing it you know, and it's the same everytime. You need to grind for new Pixels that nobody cares about, it gets old, new expansion comes, grind some more, rinse and repeat.

Stop saying all korean mmorpg's are grinds, they are all grinds.
Mmorpgs was the reason i wanted in the field in the frist place, it just sounds 2 good to be true, release expansion (Everybody wants to see the new stuff!!1!) make them grind for new pixels, release a new expansion (Everybody wants to see the new stuff!1!1!)
They applaud you for it, while you take their money... It's sooo sweet ^^

I wish i got there sooner... All those moneys...

Again, I didn't say anything about the grind. Like...at all. Ever.
Reply Quote
Yeah I have a friend who was trying to pressure me into buying the game. I had to give her every excuse I could think of to get myself off the hook since I didn't want to hurt her feelings by stating my belief that the game was most likely !@# and that anyone who plays it is mentally deficient.

Glad I stuck to my guns.
Reply Quote
In other words OP can't play real action combat...LOL please child. Go play with your teddy
Reply Quote
It's a Korean MMO. That's really all you need to know.

If you're looking for a good PVP game, go for Guildwars 2 or Planetside 2.

Guildwars 2 currently has weekend events that you can participate in if you pre-purchase the game. Planetside 2 is going to go beta soon, and you can sign up for it now.

Both games will be free to play without a subscription.
Reply Quote
Playing Tera at high levels is like trashing Belial Phase3 over and over and over again. I can't see how anyone can dislike it.
Reply Quote
05/31/2012 04:26 AMPosted by Zerg
In other words OP can't play real action combat...LOL please child. Go play with your teddy

Do you people even read threads anymore? I WANT real action combat. I'm upset because that's not what I got at all. Read before you post, please.

And for people saying it's because I'm 'bad', I played starcraft 1 for 14 years. Please get off your high horse and stop acting like MMO's take a profound level of skill.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]