Diablo® III

Why Nether Tentacles?

I see a lot of elite players go nether tentacles and hungering arrow as their only dps skills. Personally I use HA, Rapid fire, and multi shot (razer mouse ftw). Anyways I noticed that all nether gives over the other elements is 3% life leech. But are there some other things Im missing? Is it faster or have a bigger aoe then the fear/ice/light arrow? I mean its not liek we can really make 1v1 tank/leech build with shadow power/mark/gloom because we cannot surivive past a few hits. Anyways I just wanted to here some thoughts from some experts, should I switch my build to HA/ EA?
Reply Quote
I'd like to know this too, im not quite 59 yet but I would like to hear some more.. I think I did read though that Ball Lightning (which I'm using now) only does 75% damage while maybe nether does 100%?
Reply Quote
It's slow like lightning ball so it hits big targets multiple times. Also it keeps your health topped off when your DPS gets crazy high because 3% of a large number ends up being alot of health especially when it hits multiple times.
Reply Quote
Nether tentacles do 155% weapon damage, in an AOE, that doesn;t just hit 1 target, it goes down the entire length of a hallway (So line them up). It can also hit larger monster models 2-3 times (Or Belial 8-10 times).

This means for single targets, Impale is still about 2x as good, but for packs/hallways/choke points/bosses and large monsters, NT does so, so much better, and giving you 3% of dmg done to EACH HIT back as life. I've been on 1% health in a hallway in Inferno, fired 1 down the whole length at the 20 monsters there, refilling my HP bar just in time to take another hit (Yay, back to 1%). It's just THAT AWESOME
Reply Quote
so do you guys use this as your only AOE skill? Also on a side not what rune is best for HA?
Reply Quote
i also see every dh on youtube using nether it seems like the screaming skulls would be better but someone told me the nether tentacles do more dmg somehow can someone confirm?
Reply Quote
nether cause it hits targets 1-3 times, thus more dmg.
Edited by Fortiori#1307 on 5/29/2012 6:22 AM PDT
Reply Quote
the fact that it can attack a single target multiple times is amazing, but furthermore it can attack a group of enemies multiple times also. if multishot only cost 10-15 hatred i'd consider it, but the lifesteal on nether on top of everything else is too good to pass up.

you know what else is really amazing about it, and for that matter ball lightning? there are rares/champion minions who have slow missiles. i've only come up against them once. they slow all missile attacks. this means the nether tentacles/ball lightning, which already goes really slow, creeps by the screen pixel by agonizing pixel, all the balls bunch up really close and will get about 10 attacks off each! it's the most amazing OP dps you've ever seen. if you get a slow missiles rare on inferno, it'll be the easiest kill of your life!!
Reply Quote
Devouring arrow does more damage than puncturing, even when adding the fact it only hits 2+ times 35% of the time instead of 50%.

05/29/2012 06:25 AMPosted by Fiercestorm
When you fight the elite or champion pack in Inferno you will realize NT is needed. The big thing is NT go right through the monsters and their barrier. Skills such as rapid fire will prove almost useless when you fight a pack of champion with their barrier on.

NT does not go through walls, shields, invulnerable minions or anything else like that. What it DOES do is go through every damned monster in it's path, so when the invuln minion boss decides to hide like a little whiney bltch he is, you can still roflstomp him.
Reply Quote
Just curious, I have been using the screaming skull one since it is 155% and fears as well which helps keep things off of me. It also seems slow...is tentacles slower / does more damage?

nevermind was answered above, ty

TENTACLE DOES MORE DAMAGE! When considering it hits ALL enemies in a line, not just the first one hit...

:P Must I say it again?
Reply Quote
When you fight the elite or champion pack in Inferno you will realize NT is needed. The big thing is NT go right through the monsters and their barrier. Skills such as rapid fire will prove almost useless when you fight a pack of champion with their barrier on.

yeah i love it when i find a rare with immune minions! goes straight through them and kills the rare, and they all fall down XD

just let it be known that nether doesn't go though walls (made by wallers) in case anyone was wondering.
Reply Quote
I got rapid fire because I played all the way up to 60 with my barb friend. He would tank and I'd just put down a caltrops(bait the trap) mark the target(mortal enemy) and just rapid fire(rockets) to drop tough enemies since it has the best dps for cost and barely uses ur hatred with mark. Solo I tend to just kite around with HA but now I will I get rid of Multi and RF for EA. Regarding HA I found several threads with devouring vs puncturing but the results were always in conclusive and ppl just debated the results. Right now Im using devouring just because it gives me bigger crit numbers which make me feel good but if puncturing is better for 1v1 I will switch to that.
Reply Quote
05/29/2012 06:32 AMPosted by ALPHA
Right now Im using devouring just because it gives me bigger crit numbers which make me feel good but if puncturing is better for 1v1 I will switch to that.

DEVOURING IS BETTER!.
Reply Quote
Just curious, I have been using the screaming skull one since it is 155% and fears as well which helps keep things off of me. It also seems slow...is tentacles slower / does more damage?

nevermind was answered above, ty

TENTACLE DOES MORE DAMAGE! When considering it hits ALL enemies in a line, not just the first one hit...

:P Must I say it again?

And? elemental arrow hits all in the line as well.

fear = if your gear only provides subpar dps
nether = if you have godlike dps.

simple it is.
Reply Quote
I haven't gotten NT yet, but from what I gather, it does full damage per hit and can hit multiple times, plus it heals. It moves like Ball Lightning, which has fairly a fairly large range for a straight line attack (but only does half damage per hit). So, I will definitely be using it, as I did enjoy Ball Lightning. Right now, I'm using Frost Arrow for smaller packs and elites, while I use Multi-Shot w/ Full Broadside for larger packs of regular mobs.
Reply Quote
Puncturing arrow deals the most reliable damage against a single target. Shattering arrow deals the best damage against groups. Devouring arrow deals the highest average single target damage but is more random than hungering arrow.

It's really your choice, any of these runes work well.

i've tried them all, stuck with puncturing for the most part, but i'm now thinking cinder arrow is the best and have stuck with through inferno. you get a guaranteed 150% damage (115% + 35% over 3 seconds) plus it still has the 35% pierce and reapply. i'd love to see some figures for damage comparisons, it would have to come really close between puncturing/cinder.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]