Diablo® III

In response to Athene's Diablo Inferno kill

85 Blood Elf Death Knight
This is completely true and I agree with it entirely. I don't know anything about his WoW career so I won't comment on that, but I fail to understand why so many people are praising him for his supposed accomplishment of soloing and defeating Diablo on Inferno when he quite literally earned none of what it takes to be able to do it. I'm pretty sure anybody on this forum can drop Diablo as fast as he did if we all were given the same item set for free, just like it was given to him.
Reply Quote
49 Orc Mage
05/29/2012 10:13 AMPosted by Leif
Why compare Impale, a high speed projectile ability to NT? I can run faster than NT.

Because impale is the only single target attack worth comparing to NT, and it's still not even close.
Reply Quote
05/29/2012 09:59 AMPosted by Thecannabis
I don't believe it's required to progress, but I also don't believe that anyone would -choose- to progress without it

That's kind of a pointless argument IMO.

In any game that has a pool of abilities to choose from, there's typically going to be one ability that surpasses the rest. However, it's probably only going to be the best ability for a specific situation, while other abilities might be the "best" for other situations.

The problem with D3 is that, thanks to the nature of NV, you're penalized for switching abilities in the middle of a run. This means that people will *always* flock to that one ability that excels in every single situation, or as close to it as possible.

If not nether tentacles, then something else. So, that would be a pretty bad reason to nerf it.
Reply Quote
05/29/2012 09:59 AMPosted by Thecannabis
I don't believe it's required to progress, but I also don't believe that anyone would -choose- to progress without it - especially on bosses where it will hit them 4-7 times.

Can't argue against this, but still, not reason enough to warrant a nerf, especially given what Blizzard has announced. Furthermore, there's a few reasons why people won't choose NT:
1. Slow
2. Straight line
3. No extra effects (eg. stun on impale)
4. Boring/cheap/common

An example off the top of my head: ball lightning may do less damage than NT, but I found it immensely more useful for the first boss of act 4, since the chain lightning effect can even hit the shadows behind you. I remember it especially well because that was right after reading many posts about how "NT is the best skill in the game".
Reply Quote
05/29/2012 10:18 AMPosted by Thecannabis
Why compare Impale, a high speed projectile ability to NT? I can run faster than NT.

Because impale is the only single target attack worth comparing to NT, and it's still not even close.

Yeah and Impale is totally worthless on reflect damage, fast, and teleport mobs. Firing NT and then having the elite port to you before it gets hit is completely OP especially when it's a small character model. It's all situation based.

Also, are you even up to Act IV inferno?
Reply Quote
49 Orc Mage
05/29/2012 10:22 AMPosted by noctred
I don't believe it's required to progress, but I also don't believe that anyone would -choose- to progress without it

That's kind of a pointless argument IMO.

In any game that has a pool of abilities to choose from, there's typically going to be one ability that surpasses the rest. However, it's probably only going to be the best ability for a specific situation, while other abilities might be the "best" for other situations.

The problem with D3 is that, thanks to the nature of NV, you're penalized for switching abilities in the middle of a run. This means that people will *always* flock to that one ability that excels in every single situation, or as close to it as possible.

If not nether tentacles, then something else. So, that would be a pretty bad reason to nerf it.

While I agree with the penalizing nature of NV catering to NT, that's not really the main reason it use it..it's simply better. There's no reason to switch to another ability, ever, because you're already using one. The best example of this would be Athene using it as his single target DPS choice for diablo, clearly blizzard had impale in mind for this situation but it just doesn't compare to NT.

And if NT was nerfed, there would not be a "come one, come all" ability that was viable for act 3/4 inferno. DH would have to add a single target DPS choice, and an AOE dps choice, as all the alternative hybrids aren't even in the same ballpark as NT.
Reply Quote
Nether is very strong ability any way you look at it. Likely to be !@#$ in PvP though.
Reply Quote
49 Orc Mage
05/29/2012 10:29 AMPosted by Leif

Yeah and Impale is totally worthless on reflect damage, fast, and teleport mobs. Firing NT and then having the elite port to you before it gets hit is completely OP especially when it's a small character model. It's all situation based.

Also, are you even up to Act IV inferno?

I really didn't get your post, it seemed sarcastic.

I am in act 4.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
[quote]

why are you so jelly its just a game and its his skill.

When you say "skill"...do you mean when he tanked Diablo and did not move?
Reply Quote
05/29/2012 10:31 AMPosted by Thecannabis
And if NT was nerfed, there would not be a "come one, come all" ability that was viable for act 3/4 inferno. DH would have to add a single target DPS choice, and an AOE dps choice, as all the alternative hybrids aren't even in the same ballpark as NT.

Scatter trap on bosses is going to do more damage than impale.
Reply Quote
49 Orc Mage
05/29/2012 10:46 AMPosted by Fugue

Scatter trap on bosses is going to do more damage than impale.

Very true, I actually just started using these and they're very promising.
Reply Quote
05/29/2012 08:30 AMPosted by Kaìne
Just mad he isn't as popular as Athene.

If I was going for online popularity I'd quit my job and move back in with my parents.

I love you. Even if you are a dude. I love you man.
Reply Quote
Theres one big difference between impale and nt, its their speed, impale flies many times faster than nt, try to hit gold goblin (sry dont remember it real name) with nt on outside locations, nearly impossible if he wont stuck on some wall, building. Hitting him with impale? Easy. Difference with cost might be because of that speed diff. On bosses yes nt is good thanks to bigger hit boxes. But if has its own downsides. NT isnt gamebreaking.

Btw i loled at athene when he was opening inventory by mouseclicking on p2 inferno diablo to change his gear ... srsly that showed that dude was carried by gold / items donators.
Reply Quote

If I was going for online popularity I'd quit my job and move back in with my parents.

I love you. Even if you are a dude. I love you man.

ditto. No one would recognize that smelly guy on the street. And I have a feeling he was drinking NOXPLODE in his video which is a workout supplement. He's hurting his liver for no reason. Extradumbfaced.
Edited by Ragnaroth#1220 on 5/29/2012 11:09 AM PDT
Reply Quote
05/29/2012 11:09 AMPosted by Ragnaroth
ditto. No one would recognize that smelly guy on the street. And I have a feeling he was drinking NOXPLODE in his video which is a workout supplement. He's hurting his liver for no reason. Extradumbfaced.

do you realize how much money he makes off of playing diablo 3? are you mad?

i don't even like athene but i can tell you're mad.
Reply Quote
05/29/2012 08:30 AMPosted by Kaìne

Athene has online popularity. He's doing pretty well for himself. I don't think he quite has to live with his parents. You know... all that sweet sponsor money.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]