Diablo® III

Computer Advice

As far as computer knowledge goes I'm Nightmare Act 1 struggling to farm Skeleton King.

Currently the game runs 20-30 fps when I'm solo. If a bunch of particles/players come on my screen it can become awful (5-10).

My goal is to get an upgrade that will run the game on low settings with no problems.

My cpu specs are:

OS - Win 7 Ultimate 32-bit
Processor - AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
Memory - 4096 RAM
Gfx Card - NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT
Power Supply - 305W

1) If you think I should just buy a new cpu what is a ballpark price range I should expect?
2) If I can get a gfx card upgrade that is compatible with my current cpu what would you recommend?
3) Do I need to upgrade my power supply for the gfx card?

I appreciate all the help, thanks.
Reply Quote
If you can or want to, overclock your CPU to around 3Ghz and buy yourself a AMD7770 for $150 bucks, that should serve you well.

However, before you go buy a video card, try overclocking your CPU. Something tell's me your limited more in processing power than video rendering capability.
Reply Quote
I heard that the Saphire Radeon 7750 (http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-11202-00-20G-Radeon-PCI-Express-Graphics/dp/B007B5V614/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338308797&sr=8-1)
is a significant upgrade that is compatible with the Dell 305w PSU. Any thoughts?

I'll look into overclocking.
Reply Quote
If you have a Dell, then your only option is to look at that new GPU. I would only buy stuff from Newegg or NCIX when it comes to computer hardware though. Unless you live elsewere from the USA or Canada.
Reply Quote
I've got an Amazon Prime account so I get free 2-day shipping. I compared the prices and the only difference is Newegg adds on $4.99 to shipping.
Reply Quote
Price have to be competitive though, thats not my issue. Its the after sales service than I care about for RMA in the case of DOA or failure, etc... Amazon is mostly a storefront for other smaller compagnies and your costumer service experience will vary.
Reply Quote
I appreciate all the help Zer.

One last question for you. Is there a way I can check the compatibility of this gpu with my current system? I don't want this to arrive and not fit etc.
Reply Quote
You should have a PCI-E 1.1 x16 slot and 6pin AUX power plug already since you have a 9600GT, so I would say your good to go.
Reply Quote
Feel, You need to upgrade mobo to upgrade processor and then you need new ram. i would NOT overclock if you dont have the CPU cooler to support it.

I reccomend a Corsair CX500 its a cheapish reliable power supply that gets the job done and can help you build a low end PC that can run D3.

a 9600 should run D3 just fine. your bottleneck is in your processor and running win7 with only 4 gb of ram trying to game on that.

i reccomend 8gb of ram in windows 7 gaming rigs.

if you want a new video card get a 550 Ti.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130591
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139027
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103889
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835426029 - cheap heatsink that will perform better then stock heatsinks.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130625

Thatd be my reccomendation
Edited by FTFG#1117 on 5/29/2012 10:09 AM PDT
Reply Quote
@ FTFG - I appreciate the input mate. If you had 100-200$ to work with what would you consider critical upgrades?
Reply Quote
Feel, You need to upgrade mobo to upgrade processor and then you need new ram. i would NOT overclock if you dont have the CPU cooler to support it.

a 9600 should run D3 just fine. your bottleneck is in your processor and running win7 with only 4 gb of ram trying to game on that.

He already mentionned he has a Dell so overclocking is out of the question, 4Gigs of ram is plenty for his system esp for 64bit win7 (This isn't Vista).

He can either upgrade the video card (yeah his cpu is a bit of a bottle neck, but the new GPU would still fix the issue) or need to upgrade mobo, cpu, ram, GPU and PSU. So yeah the second option might be a nice upgrade but is also 3x the price. His call.
Reply Quote
Feel, I'd reccomend a GPU upgrade considering you're not on a board that doesnt support PCIE. if it DOES support PCIE get a EVGA GTX 550 Ti video card(I reccomend EVGA cards their warranties are insane and they have good 24/7 technical support) atleast and that should help some but you need to make sure your power supply can handle that load, if it cannot get a Corsair CX600
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Before you buy, ensure whether your computer case is slim case or fat mid-tower case.

Seeing your CPU, I would rather recommend that you get a new PC instead.

But until then, as Zer mentioned, get that 7750 installed (ONLY AND ONLY IF your computer case is a fat mid-tower). Don't overclock your CPU however.
Reply Quote
I would build a new comp. Non of the stuff you can really takeover, nor would you because everything but perhaps your ram is aged hard. DD2 won't really work with easy cheap mobos now.

I would build a new comp.

You could build a modest one for 350-500. Tax free shipped to your door.

Don't overclock your dell, you will see no improvements, and you will just kill it.

Message me if and only you plan a build and need my help.

I take donations too :D
Reply Quote
This is what my tower looks like http://www.pinondeer.com/images/Dell5150_Big.jpg
Is that considered a fat-mid tower?

I think I'm going to go the 7750 route because it appears to be the most affordable for my current circumstances. I will look into getting a new cpu down the road though. I'll make sure to update this thread and let you guys know how everything went.
Edited by Feelucky#1240 on 5/29/2012 7:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Yes, that is the fat mid-tower. You can go for it.
Reply Quote

He already mentionned he has a Dell so overclocking is out of the question, 4Gigs of ram is plenty for his system esp for 64bit win7 (This isn't Vista).

He can either upgrade the video card (yeah his cpu is a bit of a bottle neck, but the new GPU would still fix the issue) or need to upgrade mobo, cpu, ram, GPU and PSU. So yeah the second option might be a nice upgrade but is also 3x the price. His call.

Negatory.

win7 gaming even with 4 gigs I still reccomend over 4 gigs.

its not vista I agree but I still reccomend 8 if you're doing gaming. ddr3 is cheap now. what 4 gigs cost like 3 years ago you can now get 8 gigs for and its still cheaper then what 4 gigs was 3 years ago.

I really do reccomend an entirely new build. If you can hold off and save up some money I'd reccomend it because its not worth salvaging your !@#$ Dell or upgrading it.

Just prolonging the inevitable.
Edited by FTFG#1117 on 5/29/2012 7:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I ended up purchasing the Radeon 7750 1GB series and installed it, updated drivers, and used device sweeper to remove outdated/old drivers I had. Now when I'm on D3 the resting FPS is higher but my screen tears a ton when I'm in fights. I haven't noticed an improvement and would make the case that the game is running worse with the new card. Any thoughts/ideas?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Turn on VSync
Reply Quote
I did. everytime I trigger an ability (playing DH) it shoots down to 20 or less for the duration.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]