Diablo® III

Caltrops?

Okay so I do not understand why people are hating on caltrops. Is there something that I am missing? Though i am only on Act2 of Hell at the moment, i find caltrops to be invaluable in kiting. Monsters move so fast sometimes I find this to be one of the best ways to get some more dps off in conjunction with my other abilities, it also cuts the time down on fights...

So begs to question? Why not use it? If I am missing something or something changes in later content, what is it? At the moment I do not know how to survive as well without it. If I must eventually remove it, then what should i replace it with? Only time it ever leaves my hotkeys is when i have a boss fight...

Also for those who do use it. I see people using "Hooked Spines" more often than "Torturous Ground" runes. Is it all a matter of play style or does that 80% really seal the deal? Currently my play style is to pop caltrops infront of me and then sit on one and dps until monsters come near, at which point they are stunned 2 seconds and i move. Works espessially well for me in co-op.

Anyways...

Here is my current build incase anyone was wondering... http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#aRYdXV!aYe!YaZbZb

Close but not yet about to use NT and sometimes switch Tactical Advantage for Sharpshooter. Incase that matters.
Reply Quote
Caltrops are amazing. Add that in with the Jagged spikes rune and with a high enough DPS it zaps the life out of everything. :)

I basically made my Demon Hunter similar to trapsin in Diablo 2...

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#aeYVkl!bWc!YabbYZ
Edited by Karo#1793 on 5/29/2012 10:49 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I haven't seen another person use jagged spikes yet. Sure it starts out low but slowly they become very powerful. Place them under a boss like Azmodan and you see his life just being destroyed.
Reply Quote
I've been using them through Hell but now in Inferno they do not help against any elite mob. And since I'm trying to stack Nephalem Valor, I can't switch skills.
Reply Quote
05/29/2012 10:55 AMPosted by dbieon12
I've been using them through Hell but now in Inferno they do not help against any elite mob.

Wrong.

I farm the Arreat Crater/Tower area of A3 consistently and caltrops w/ torturous ground makes kiting most of the elite/champ packs a joke since the pathways are all so narrow.

Both the snare and the root work perfectly fine in inferno.
Edited by noctred#1606 on 5/29/2012 11:01 AM PDT
Reply Quote
05/29/2012 10:55 AMPosted by dbieon12
I've been using them through Hell but now in Inferno they do not help against any elite mob. And since I'm trying to stack Nephalem Valor, I can't switch skills.

Really? I find that they help a lot in kiting mobs in tight places. If I place them in a doorway or up a stairway, I can get a lot of free damage off before they catch up.
Reply Quote
Try spike traps. They may not slow, but they do a LOT of damage.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
TM
I use Caltrops but not with Jagged Spikes anymore. On bosses and normal mobs it's very useful DPS you can add while kiting but against Champions and Rares with Reflect Damage it can become a liability.
Reply Quote
I personally find jagged spike qutie good in Inferno, I just drop a few of them behind me as I kite normal or Elite/Champ while firing NT at them, the damage adds up fast, only time I dont use it is on reflect mobs (lol).
Reply Quote
My spikes tick for 80-110k crit. dps wise, 5 stacked traps do more than my pewpewing.
Reply Quote
Or, you could just be a beast Demon Hunter. Meaning, not having to worry about kiting, and rely on pure damage. Use SS / Prep, of course. Also, Impale ( with Grievous Wounds ) and using your Bat companion allows for max. damage output. Get a weapon with 900+ damage and you then, don't have to worry about caltrops. The only point where I see caltrops being necessary is for the achieve. =/
Reply Quote
Just like to know, does the damage tick every second or is it a 1-hit thing with jagged?
Reply Quote
ticks throughout the duration of the trap
Reply Quote
It keeps hurting them until the trap is gone. Honestly, with this rune the DPS I would say is over what it tells you. If you have 5 traps under them and shoot them you are doing way more than what your damage tells you on the character screen.
Reply Quote
05/29/2012 11:00 AMPosted by Myst
Or, you could just be a beast Demon Hunter. Meaning, not having to worry about kiting, and rely on pure damage. Use SS / Prep, of course. Also, Impale ( with Grievous Wounds ) and using your Bat companion allows for max. damage output. Get a weapon with 900+ damage and you then, don't have to worry about caltrops. The only point where I see caltrops being necessary is for the achieve. =/

Used to to Caltrops...switched to what you said, except I use MS with Fire at Will (for crowd control) and not Impale
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
05/29/2012 10:53 AMPosted by ToRealistic
I love Caltrops! with Jagged spikes there A M A Z I N G!

^ With this rune they do a very signifigant amount of damage, especially to swarms of little mobs (spiderlings, scorpions, shadow fiends). Drop some traps, forget about the trash while it melts in a trap and focus on your main target.

Also very decent for some extra dps while kiting rares/champs/bosses.

Edit:
05/29/2012 11:09 AMPosted by RamenSage
ticks throughout the duration of the trap

Also, as far as I can tell, each trap does damage. You can have 5 (or is it 4?) caltrops out at one time.
Edited by Rhoojahaha#1222 on 5/29/2012 11:23 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I have the exact same build minus the fact that I use "Cull the weak" for more damage to slowed enemies and Frost arrow rune for Elemental Arrow because it aids in keeping things slowed and the "Cull the weak" bonus up.

Between Caltrops + Frost Arrow, you are almost always hitting things that are slowed!

Oh and Scatter Shot rune on Hungering Arrow I believe is better than the one you are using.
Reply Quote
my build: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#aRYXSV!TYe!YcbZca

it really is perfect, jagged caltrops + spike traps = lots of dead things you didnt even know where there.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]