Diablo® III

D3 overheating/killing graphics cards

I've been having graphics card issues (read: massive ones) for the last 5 days or so since my computer locked up with D3 going. Weird vertical lines, text smearing, computer black screening, the works.

Further, it has come to my attention that there are others experiencing these exact issues after loading/playing D3, which apparently are indicative of a cooked graphics card.

In my case, the card is clean, the computer is clean, the fan works well, there is no reason for a heat issue other than a massive overload from the required graphics.

Is Blizzard aware of this issue? I know I'm not the only one experiencing it, and if D3 is causing all vid cards to overheat and run hot (someone else noted that even though his card didn't die yet, it runs 20C hotter when running D3 than anything else......) then there are going to be a lot of pissed off people with broken computers out there.
Reply Quote
Yes. Blizzard is aware that people have problems with their unspecified graphics cards in their unspecified rigs, running at unspecified settings.
Reply Quote
Yeah... we need a lot, lot more information than just "my old, overclocked video card is breaking"
Reply Quote
Thanks for the not helpful replies.

Since the issue is happening on more than just one card, obviously, it is not card specific.

The card is not overclocked. Nvidia 7900GS. There are others with the same issue on different cards. The one that was running 20C hotter was a GTS450.

Perhaps someone has a reply that is helpful and not just smart assed?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Limit maximum FPS and increase fan speed

Also clean out gunk inside your PC
Reply Quote
In my case, the card is clean, the computer is clean

That is from my first post. There is no gunk inside the PC. Fan speed is not adjustable.

Maximum FPS is already limited severely.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Use MSI Afterburner to change fan speed
Reply Quote
According to MSI's site, that only works with MSI cards.

Also, still wondering whether Blizzard is aware of the issue or is hiding under their desks with their fingers in their ears saying LALALALALALALALA
Reply Quote
Or maybe there are bigger problems they're dealing with rather than the small group of people who are having issues with their dated hardware?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
MSI Afterburner (get it from Guru3d) works with any graphics card. Works fine on my ASUS Radeon card. Works fine on my non-descript GeForce mobile card
Reply Quote
Or maybe there are bigger problems they're dealing with rather than the small group of people who are having issues with their dated hardware?

Yes, I'm sure that they have larger issues than putting out a game that destroys video cards that are about 3 years old, or if they have a way to prevent that, making sure recommended settings are promulgated.

Yes I'm sure that destroying what will probably amount to millions of dollars of customer hardware isn't really worth their time.

Absolutely. Roger that.........
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Software cannot cause hardware to overheat. The most it can do is run it at 100%. That is not at all uncommon for games to do (run at 100%), because unless you are running on hardware that is massively overpowered for the game, it's necessary for decent performance. If running at 100% is causing overheating, you have a hardware problem. PERIOD.

As a matter of fact, when you put a gaming system together, the first thing you should do is run something like Prime95 to 100% load the CPU and something like Folding@home to 100% the GPU. This is more than any game will do, and if you can't do that without overheating, you don't have sufficient cooling or a case with sufficient airflow.

The highest CPU temp I've ever seen in D3 is 45C and the highest GPU temp I've ever seen is 58C (this is without manually increasing fan speed).
Reply Quote
If running at 100% is causing overheating, you have a hardware problem. PERIOD

No, what you have is software and hardware that are not compatible, which is fine if that is listed as such. Not fine if it is known, or becomes known, that the software WILL cause overheating issues on the hardware and no warning is given or the information is not made public.

I might add, I have other aps/games that can easily be set up to push my video card into submission, but I have the settings such that they do not. If I do push the card into submission with high resource settings, the card does not over heat. FPS goes to nothing, but does not destroy the card.
Edited by Charsi#1868 on 5/30/2012 3:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I don't see anything about you updating your gpu driver. That could be a major problem.

Anyways, I highly doubt d3 cooked your gpu, maybe it just pushed it over the edge and killed it for good. As it is, your gpu is at the very very low end of the minimum specs. Go upgrade for like $75 and you should be fine.
Reply Quote
I don't see anything about you updating your gpu driver. That could be a major problem.Anyways, I highly doubt d3 cooked your gpu,

Video drivers were updated. Didn't mention it, but they were.

As for whether D3 cooked it, you can highly doubt it, but since I encountered the issue, I'm finding a lot of other people that have had the same issue, but ONLY since installing and playing this game. There were 0 problems before. So I highly doubt that, by random chance, a bunch of people had video cards go !@#$ up right after installing and playing D3, if D3 were not a big contributing factor.
Reply Quote
05/30/2012 04:31 PMPosted by Charsi
I don't see anything about you updating your gpu driver. That could be a major problem.Anyways, I highly doubt d3 cooked your gpu,

Video drivers were updated. Didn't mention it, but they were.

As for whether D3 cooked it, you can highly doubt it, but since I encountered the issue, I'm finding a lot of other people that have had the same issue, but ONLY since installing and playing this game. There were 0 problems before. So I highly doubt that, by random chance, a bunch of people had video cards go !@#$ up right after installing and playing D3, if D3 were not a big contributing factor.

Basically what I mean to say is that it wasn't d3 that cooked your card, it could have been any other program that pushed your card to the limit and cooked it, but because of the age of your card and the stress placed on it by loading d3 your card broke at that time. If you really don't wanna buy another card disassemble your current GPU, apply new thermal paste, and try again.

The thing is I saw these same exact types of post for other popular PC game titles and it is not the game that is causing your system to fail, it is your old system that is causing your system to fail. Everyone who is having their system fail can continue to rationalize and argue until they are blue in the face but the fact of the matter is at the end of the day they need a better GPU, no questions asked.
Reply Quote
they need a better GPU, no questions asked.

No problem if Blizzzard had actually SPECIFIED a better GPU, and noted that D3 can cause major issues on GPUS that didn't hit that spec.

But they didn't. Did they.
Reply Quote
Your GPU is at the VERY VERY bottom of the MINIMUM specs (not the recommended specs). Your GPU is at the least over 4 years old.

I know you don't wanna hear it, but based on everything being said so far the problem isn't d3. There are a lot of things that can go wrong and you should look at them all before blaming diablo.

1) Whats your PSU specs? Have you accounted for capacitor aging?
2) Thermal paste on GPU is old, reapply thermal paste
3) driver conflicts
4) Run your game in full screen only. Full screen windowed requires more GPU power

If you wanna know something my d3 crashed too when I had it set up improperly. I'm running 3 screens and had my screens standing vertical in full screen. During certain cutscenes my game would crash and i'd have to restart the computer. The game didn't have resolutions that were meant to be played that way. Now I have 3 screens horizontal and I have yet to lock up.

Please please please dont start false rumors because you don't understand computers.
Reply Quote
05/30/2012 04:46 PMPosted by Charsi
they need a better GPU, no questions asked.

No problem if Blizzzard had actually SPECIFIED a better GPU, and noted that D3 can cause major issues on GPUS that didn't hit that spec.

But they didn't. Did they.

Because there is a thing called common sense. But in this case it is not so common.
Reply Quote
Seriously, my 4 yearold desktop runs this game on absolutely max settings. Your 7 yearold graphics card (june 2005 was its release date), is put under 100% load, and has aging capacitors. As capacitors age, their ability to withstand load starts going away. It is literally impossible for diablo3 to kill your graphics card, because diablo 3 doesn't control your graphics card. Diablo 3 tells your drivers (I want to render these things), and your drivers make the decision on what to do.

Its like me telling you to pet your own dog, and then you petting your dog horrifically violently, and then getting mad at me for your dog biting you.

If your hardware is rated at a given specification, and the failing components can't handle it anymore (typically due to capacitor aging), then you have failures.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]