Diablo® III

D3 overheating/killing graphics cards

-- SOLVED --

You're right. It's not airflow. It's DirectX.

I just discovered my card is not compatible with DirectX 11 (as stated on NVidia's website), yet somehow it's installed on my machine. I know Windows 7 came with DirectX 10, so at some point in time with an update came 11.

Now, D3 utilizes DirectX 11 to its fullest potential, which is "supposedly" incompatible with my NVidia GeForce 9800 GTX+ as stated in several forums I've seen, as well as several other cards where people are having stability / overheating issues. To counter this I looked up how to downgrade to a previous version of DirectX and found a YouTube video by SuperSpongeButter that involves deleting and reinstalling registry values to effectively run DirectX 9.0c.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1kqRDSKORI

I will be trying this right now and will post the results... if I don't melt my PC.
Reply Quote
My graphics card is DirectX 11 compatible and I'm still having trouble with overheating. My 1 month old laptop's fan just flew from trying to keep the thing cool. I don't have problems with any other game, most of which are much more graphics intensive. Definitely not a computer hardware issue, as my laptop is pretty baller:

3rd generation Intel Core i7-3610QM Processor( 2.30GHz 6MB)
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64
NVIDIA GeForce GT640M-LE 2GB
12.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM 1600 MHz
14.0" HD Glare with integrated camera 1366x768
1TB 5400+32GB SSD
DVD Recordable (Dual Layer)
6 Cell Lithium-Ion
Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2200BGN
Bluetooth Version 4.0

Anyone have an answer as to why this is happening, as opposed to a fix that involves limiting performance? If I can't find one, I think I'm just going to have to give up D3...
Reply Quote
Well, it turned out it wasn't DirectX 11. DirectX is backwards compatible. Even thought Windows 7 comes with DX11, my card utilizes it as DX10.1. It's simply a software issue which causes GPUs to automatically run at a higher rate to improve graphics. Unfortunately for you laptop users, this means it most likely will not run properly unless it's a gaming rig.

However, I did solve my problem another way. This is from my previous post:

07/26/2012 08:08 AMPosted by Nomisuke
The solution came from another post (which I can’t seem to find the link for) where the individual, running the exact same card as me, took it to the next level. He purchased and installed an Arctic Accelero Twin Turbo II cooling system. It replaces the original factory chassis, fan, and heatsink with one that is designed to handle applications like this. He said his temperatures went from 85C to 56C under the same load and now idles in the mid 40s. That, to me, says it all in a nutshell. Cooling. Unfortunately for you laptop users, cooling will always be an issue... especially if you are trying to play a graphic-intense game on a laptop designed for practical use while resting said laptop on a suffocating surface like a bed comforter or couch cushion.

I just received and installed my Accelero Twin Turbo Pro today. My idle temperature was at 50C just before I shut down. 20 minutes later I had the card set up with the new cooler and was ready to rock. I have to tell you... I was absolutely amazed with the results. My idle temperature is now 38C. My load temperature with the game at its highest graphic settings across the board is 45C... 5C lower than my previous idle temp. It's 5x quieter than the factory fan, even at 100% speed.

In conclusion I must admit it's much easier to make these adjustments when you have a desktop. Blizzard did make some sort of mistake with the graphics coding and hopefully will do something to fix it. Right now the only thing I can suggest is to get a cooling pad for your laptop. Other than that, I really can't suggest anything other than to submit a ticket.

Good luck!
Reply Quote
My GTX 680 is overheating to as much as 90°C when playing Diablo and causing severe graphic glitches. When I tab out with background fps throttle enabled the temperature instantly goes down.
Edited by Stan#2389 on 4/4/2014 9:41 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I built a new computer with two Asus R9270's running crossfire. Within minutes my cards reach temperatures of 160 centigrade. Extremely hot. The fan speeds are adjustable and they still overheat very quickly. If too many people lose their video cards I'd say a class action suit is in order. Blizzard really dropped the ball on this one.
Reply Quote
11/16/2014 12:25 PMPosted by Renegade
I built a new computer with two Asus R9270's running crossfire. Within minutes my cards reach temperatures of 160 centigrade. Extremely hot. The fan speeds are adjustable and they still overheat very quickly. If too many people lose their video cards I'd say a class action suit is in order. Blizzard really dropped the ball on this one.

You're an idiot.
Reply Quote
160 c and your cards would have melted.... Not to mention probably catch on fire.

I don't think you know the difference between centigrade/Celsius and Fahrenheit... Or you can't read you temperature monitoring program

160 c is 320 Fahrenheit while 160 Fahrenheit is about 71 c which is in perfect operating temperature for pretty much any video card
Edited by MikeAkaJB#1122 on 11/25/2014 12:50 AM PST
Reply Quote
ok so same freaking over!@#$ingheating pblm i naively tryed underclock my gpu but you now what it s not solving anything it s still going to 90°c and over whitin 5 %^-*ing minute so i m done with diablo 3 this instant i declare that i 'll boycot every blizzard game from now on because no freaking game deserve that i pass more time on the forum and updating everything in my pc and go as far as to underclock the freaking gpu !(with no result)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]