Diablo® III

Ping QQrs

http://royal.pingdom.com/2007/06/01/theoretical-vs-real-world-speed-limit-of-ping/

Learn how the internet works before sullying your keyboard with your idiocy-in-text.

It's not soley Blizzards fault that you have a >100ms ping. It's a combination of your hardware, your ISP's hardware, the hardware inbetween your ISP and Blizzard's endpoint, from Blizzard's endpoint to their server node, and back again. The physical wire-distance of all of that round trip, as well as the congestion on the network at the given time of day.

Sorry that you don't have a direct fiber line straight to whatever data center/node your game instance was allocated on, but any expectation of <100ms is pretty much unrealistic given the current infrastructure of the net.

This is not so much of the case with WoW, as you can pick a realm to play on based on the physical distance to the datacenter, but with Diablo, it's luck of the draw given the current load, and your path.

So stop QQing, you're making yourself look like some #firstworldproblem douchenozzle.
Reply Quote
Thanks, but for those that are computer literate, we know how latency works.
Reply Quote
You cannot... possibly....be serious. I've been in IT for 13 years, but that means nothing because anyone can do this test. Pick up any other multiplayer game. Play it. See the ping you get. Compare it to D3....

I get 10-30ms on most games in the Northern US, and up to 50-60 max everywhere else. I get 200-300 ALWAYS on Diablo 3 (usually much closer to 300). This has nothing to do with the limitations of technology. I get less latency overseas than I do to Blizzard's Diablo 3 servers. 200-300ms is not an acceptable latency in this day and age. Even back in the days of the 28.8 modem, I'd usually get around 100-120 max.

EDIT: spelling
Edited by Pwny#1801 on 5/30/2012 5:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
05/30/2012 05:18 PMPosted by Terminal
It's not soley Blizzards fault that you have a >100ms ping.

Yes, it is. They have already said in another post that Diablo 3 uses some wierd system that gives the ping an unaturaly high number compared to other games. How they can use such a system and not expect posts on why its so bad I don't understand.

That said, I haven't had any actual lag problems in days. Even though my ping is usually about 4 times what I get to other Blizzard servers. At this point I just ignore the number unless I start rubberbanding or something.
Reply Quote

Yes, it is. They have already said in another post that Diablo 3 uses some wierd system that gives the ping an unaturaly high number compared to other games. How they can use such a system and not expect posts on why its so bad I don't understand.

That said, I haven't had any actual lag problems in days. Even though my ping is usually about 4 times what I get to other Blizzard servers. At this point I just ignore the number unless I start rubberbanding or something.

We've just got used to it. At least it's not spiking as much, but trust me, you're lagging. I've had a couple good hours at really odd times of night where I've had 60ms to Diablo 3 for very short periods of time. It's like a totally different game. They're just hoping we get used to 300ms ping.

What they said is that it's not strictly a "ping", it's the time it takes for game traffic to go to/from. So it's not a "network" ping, per se, it's an in-game ping. But all that proves is that the servers are overloaded or the game suffers from poor optimization.
Reply Quote
First of all, i think the majority of gamers who play online games (such as wow or starcraft) knows what you just linked.
There are several problems here, which you did not point out:

• Location of the servers
    • This game is online only. And as far as i know, there are only 3 locations around the world providing services for a lot of countries (the game is translated for more than 10 languages).

• Slow response time
    • Servers on the SAME location have better response times than Diablo. Try connecting to WOW on the west coast and watch your ping, it will probably be significantly lower.

• Beta was fine
    • People playing the beta know this. It was better. A LOT better.

• Spikes
    • The jitter is a HUGE factor here. On peak times, this could mean live or die during a boss fight.

I could go on with this list, but i feel this is enough.
    Unfortunately, i dont think they will be adding new locations. Heck, not even new servers if the gaming community doesnt grow out of expected proportions.
    Edited by SilentDrop#1781 on 5/30/2012 5:43 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    I'd love to play some Hardcore, but I think it's hilarious they expect us to play HC like this.
    Reply Quote
    90 Draenei Warrior
    I check my internet connection at least once a week, just to make sure everything is going fine with a new router I have.

To a server in Los Angeles, CA, my personal jitter is extremely low (avg around 4), my response time is low (around 30ms), but D3 still lags.

I personally try not to complain or QQ about this issue, as I know Blizzard is aware of it and unlike many, I work in tech and know how complications like this go.

Many people here assume that they can swap servers like a trash bag, when in fact changes can easily take 48 hours (typical internet propagation times) AFTER the new servers have been set up and attached to the redundancy servers.

Not to mention they have quite a few servers. Patience :)
    Reply Quote
    Yeah. Its not that hard to have localized servers. I play battlefield at <20ms.....

You get a server list for which you can browse and pick based on reported ping, you aren't just garnered a server based off of a load balancing heuristic. Not to mention, these servers are hosted by 3rd party collocation companies who do nothing else but serve games, and not by EA at their own run and operated data centers. EA just gives their server binary to their contracted partners. Let's not also forget that these collocation companies are far more numerous in both the count of how many there are, as well as the count of how many locations they support. In fact, a lot of this collocation companies rent from larger collocation companies that make up the backbone of the internet themselves, and oft have their own private infrastructure to which goes far beyond what Blizzard can achieve for their personal services.
    Reply Quote
    05/30/2012 05:42 PMPosted by Harteman
    It is my understanding that many first person shooters actually are full of !@#$ when they display the ping, and in my opinion especially battlefield 3. Truly less than 100 ping in almost any game is hard to come by.

I'm sorry, but this is just flat out false. I can ping the other side of the continent with about 30-40ms latency. A game usually adds another few ms.

EDIT: I forgot to add that when I finally got a response to my ticket about this, the rep told me he gets 200-250ms on his own connection, and he works at Blizzard.
    Edited by Pwny#1801 on 5/30/2012 5:48 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    25 Blood Elf Priest
    05/30/2012 05:20 PMPosted by PhazeDelta1
    Thanks, but for those that are computer literate, we know how latency works.

What people don't seem to understand though (even the computer literate) is that a ping in D3 is not strictly comparable to a ping elsewhere. The latency reporting for D3 includes...well I'll let Bashiok explain it:

The latency indicator in-game is not a simple ping like most games, and is actually a full process of the game sending an action to the service, the service processing it, and returning it to the client. This means that the latency indicator actually gives a more accurate account of what the experience is for game data, but in comparison to other games will seem high. We're more interested in issues where there is actual performance degradation, and certainly there may be, but the in-game latency number is not a simple ping and therefore shouldn't be used literally as a measurement against performance elsewhere.

EDIT: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5235707848?page=3#46 [for reference]
    Edited by Eschaton#1854 on 5/30/2012 5:53 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    However, in my research, comparing to Battlefield 3, it IS a bit odd that Diablo has lag spikes and the like. The ping is rather inconsequential, as it's more to do about packet loss/kitter and threading conditions on the server side that cause these.

Diablo 3 uses considerably -less- bandwidth than Battlefield 3. Here's what I came up with:

The numbers: (courtesy of bf3stats.com)

As of this posting, ~5:30pm pacific (well into the beginning of prime-time), these are the BF3 player numbers:

PC: 18,629
    PS3: 48,418
    360: 51,653

That's a total of ~118,700 players, amounting to about a ~1.37GBytes per second of bandwidth required to serve. (12.11kbytes per second, per client, based off of a 20minute gameplay average recording, 6 hours of total gameplay.)

That's a drop in the bucket on the grand scheme of things. A 10gigabit Ethernet could potentially serve that bandwidth. But with this collection of users spread out among the world physically, and all served separately by many different datacenters, the figure becomes essentially meaninglessly small as it is.

But when looking at Diablo 3, which has an average bandwidth usage of 1.34kbytes per second. I can't necessarily get the exact current player count, the bandwidth usage of Diablo as an individual client during a 20 minute average is already almost a factor of 10 less.

It is interesting to consider what indeed is causing the lag, when digging a bit deeper into the issue.
    Reply Quote
    90 Draenei Warrior
    It is my understanding that many first person shooters actually are full of !@#$ when they display the ping, and in my opinion especially battlefield 3. Truly less than 100 ping in almost any game is hard to come by.

I'm sorry, but this is just flat out false. I can ping the other side of the continent with about 30-40ms latency. A game usually adds another few ms.

EDIT: I forgot to add that when I finally got a response to my ticket about this, the rep told me he gets 200-250ms on his own connection, and he works at Blizzard.

One thing I'd like to add to that though is that with a game that is randomly generating dungeons and mobs on the fly, you have to consider the fact that a ping test is sending a tiny packet and waiting for a response, while Diablo 3 is more of a streaming system. Meaning it has to receive data, render/buffer it as you are playing. I know its not as intense as I'm making it sound, just something to consider with the ping being slightly higher than a "ping test".

EDIT: That being said, I still agree that the spikes are unusual and annoying. But I have faith that they will be smoothed out once Blizzard is able to target where the choke is coming from.
    Edited by AmoxxDW#1805 on 5/30/2012 5:59 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    05/30/2012 05:52 PMPosted by Moanshadow
    What people don't seem to understand though (even the computer literate) is that a ping in D3 is not strictly comparable to a ping elsewhere.

It is a note that I forgot to present. Most games use a simple ping packet to indicate packet round trip, and don't actually use the full client -> cloud -> gateway -> node -> processing -> gateway -> cloud -> client.

Those that thing that this system of ping indication is somehow making things worse are pretty dumb. When in actuality, Diablo's ping indication is giving a -more- accurate view of the state of the connection than other games do. To Blizzard's downfall, as it only serves to give the false appearance of poorer performance, as opposed to placating their users.
    Reply Quote
    67 Blood Elf Rogue
    05/30/2012 05:52 PMPosted by Moanshadow
    What people don't seem to understand though (even the computer literate) is that a ping in D3 is not strictly comparable to a ping elsewhere. The latency reporting for D3 includes...well I'll let Bashiok explain it

Was just about to post this because you're right, not a lot of people know this. 300 ping in D3 is fine for me, but in WoW or any other game that'd kill me. I don't lag till I see over 1k and am in red. Luckily this doesn't happen to me often.
    Reply Quote
    25 Blood Elf Priest
    I agree that most people won't take the time to work out the distinction. But at least those that are reading here and now can get a better explanation of what's going on and over time help to propagate it out to others. Hence the link :)
    Reply Quote
    05/30/2012 05:18 PMPosted by Terminal
    It's not soley Blizzards fault that you have a >100ms ping.

Yes it is. You don't need a game to test ping. I can ping LA to NY sub 40ms. Every game I play online I ping 10-50. There is no defending a 200ms Diablo 3 ping.
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]