Diablo® III

Fake Reported Hacks?

My friend has waited 1 week for blizzard to reply to his hack report. Apparently having someone take 200k gold is not suspicious activity at all?
Man. 1 week is a longgggggggg time.
Edited by HaSu#1333 on 5/30/2012 6:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
05/30/2012 05:43 PMPosted by Lylirra
Lots of people reporting hack claims. Are they legit or false claims? How does Blizzard know?

You mean of accounts being compromised?

Some reports are legitimate, some are not, and some are simply misunderstandings. The important thing is that our customer support team investigates each and every report of compromise we receive, and will assist in any way possible. In the case of a verified compromise, that may include restoring characters to their previous states and educating players on how to improve security. In the case of a misunderstanding, it may be simply letting players know that they logged into another region on which they hadn't yet created any characters (an easy mistake to make).

If you're curious, our restoration process for Diablo III is available [url="http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/compromised-diablo-iii-account"]here[/url].

(Edited for clarity.)

Is there a time frame for the restoration? My ticket was replied to but my account hasn't been rolled back yet.
Reply Quote
Hah I'm a misinterpretation. A week back when all these hacks were just starting I was unable to login and thought I too had been hacked. Instead, I was trying to log in with my wife's authenticator instead of my own because they look exactly alike. I felt really silly about it too.
Reply Quote
this happened to me today too, i have 0 gold, my armor is gone =[
Reply Quote
05/30/2012 05:43 PMPosted by Lylirra
Lots of people reporting hack claims. Are they legit or false claims? How does Blizzard know?

Some reports are legitimate, some are not, and some are simply misunderstandings. The important thing is that our customer support team investigates each and every report of compromise we receive, and will assist in any way possible. In the case of a verified compromise, that may include restoring characters to their previous states and educating players on how to improve security. In the case of a misunderstanding, it may be simply letting players know that they logged into another region on which they hadn't yet created any characters (an easy mistake to make).

If you're curious, our restoration process for Diablo III is available [url="http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/compromised-diablo-iii-account"]here[/url].

(Edited for clarity.)
You should make the currently selected Region visible on the Log In screen. (Same with Starcraft 2)
Edited by SirSteel#1419 on 5/30/2012 8:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid

Blizzard has our billing info, our home addresses (or PO Boxes), our names, etc. If their servers were hacked, they are bound by law to inform us.

Only if the servers storing that data were compromised, and not in all states necessarily (ca for sure, though).
Edited by mescyn#1807 on 5/30/2012 8:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote

What is being done about the ones who are making the false hacking claims? I would hope some sort of ban would be following..

Yep, things do happen.

Read the Code of Conduct for the forums.

Not to start the whole "Blues should be more professional" argument again, but back in the BC days of WoW there was this player who demanded to have his items restored on his character and refused to let the issue drop. He was being very rude and belligerent about it. He made some obscene claims that he logged out with enough gold to purchase his epic flying speed (5,000g which was still a hefty amount to obtain back then) and when he logged in the next time it was gone. He contacted Customer Service and they refused to give him back his 5,000g.

This player took to the forums for hours and just did everything he could he hype the community up and get everyone on his side with the ONLY evidence he had was "I had it when I logged out."

Well, a Blue took GREAT exception to this player making all these claims and did A LOT of investigating. It turns out, at NO POINT did the player ever have the gold required to purchase the epic flying. The Blue made a point by point, hour by hour, day by day breakdown of his account to demonstrate that he did not ever have the gold.

After the Blue "got his revenge" or, replied to the outrageous claims made by the player I'm pretty sure he ended his post with a gentle reminder of what happens when people attempt to scam or make false claims to Blizzard.
Reply Quote
05/30/2012 06:08 PMPosted by SleepDealer

(Edited for clarity.)

So this is what a civil and helpful blue post looks like.

True Story.
Reply Quote
The only problem I have with this thread and others like it, is Blizzard's stance that it MUST be our computers that have been compromised. Now, I do not believe that their servers have been physically "hacked" or compromised or what have you, but I do believe there is some sort of exploit happening here. Other blizzard games in the past as well as current ones have been exploited to no end, so why would this one magically be any different?

It's just hard to fathom that out of all the people who have really had their accounts compromised, that no one has been able to find a trace of this mysterious keylogger or whatever it is. I find that very hard to fathom. People have reported reinstalling on fresh systems, as well as running cross platform under linux or mac OS and still being hacked. If those claims are true, it would be virtually impossible for it to be a keylogger or malware, whatever as blizzard claims.

I just wish for once they would not lay everything that happens at the feet of the players, only in cases where it is truly deserved.
Reply Quote
My account got hacked, account got rolled back today, they said they will only roll back accounts twice after that you gotta live with no items nor gold. But since there has been a lot of attacks all at the same time is it really a user issue or Bliz issue? Just seems very odd all this at once and kinda sucks if it is a Bliz issue and they just deny and ignore and blame it on the users.
Edited by Unarmed#1652 on 5/30/2012 9:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2012/05/30/the-horror-of-being-hacked-in-diablo-3/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-05-21-diablo-3-accounts-hacked-gold-and-items-stolen

These people are obviously just out to get Blizzard just like those dirty hackers from 4 chains and their ping pong games.

So two unprofessional idiots that can barely write tell you that they think, in their clearly undereducated opinion, blizzard was hacked and you believe them.

People who actually work as programmers for a living and blizzard themselves tell you that blizzard games are perfdctly safe and it is a lie?

The reason you believe a couple bloggers with absolutely no education what-so-ever is because you identify with their situation and are unwilling to deal with your insecurities.

I am not sure how to make it more clear. 100% of these hacks are user error. As a programmer for 7 years, that is my professional opinion, which is much more valid than those two bloggers.
Reply Quote
I am a huge supporter of this game. I say this because it is needed to give perspective.

The hacking problems are 100% real.

I play with 2 friends. 1 has been hacked completely. He was kicked off his account and by the time he got back in it was too late. All it took was 120 seconds.

My other friend and I had similar situations where were kicked by "someone logging in from another computer." Both of us were able to get back in and kick them out and change the password before harm was done. We both now have authenticators

I am very secure with my computer, I routinely scan it. I am a stingy clicker and I had a tricky password. That said, I do not blame Blizzard, I blame myself. I was lazy not to have the authenticator already.

So take it from someone who is having fun playing this game, and isnt trolling the forums, the hacking problems are 100% real.
Reply Quote
I dont think the hacking threads are legitimate.

They are some kind of social engineering. To stir up paranoia or drive consumers away. Or maybe even an effort by Blizzard to get people buying authenticators.

I know one thing, the forum moderators are not directing the threads to the Support section where they belong. Almost like they are complicit. The forums have become full of spam and redundant discussion. Blizzard needs new forum management for sure.

u sir are ignorant
Reply Quote
Blizzard has been dealing with people who don't show any evidence of account compromise for several days now (dude... hold on to my stuff so I can get my account rolled back), as well as the 'OMG i was haxx0red and had auth' people who attached an authenticator after the fact (It isn't my fault and to prove it, I'll attach an authenticator because no one will ever know.)

So yea, there are a number of people who've lost items from account compromises, but fake reports and lies still abound.

Where are you getting this information? You've managed to convince yourself of these fake reports, but I have yet to see evidence for this. This thread is discrediting the great many people who have actually been hacked, including me. That's insulting.

I don't see why you would waste one of two rollbacks (after that, you get punished, by the way) just to get a dupe of items (which given the randomness of items generated, would not be difficult to detect anyways).
Reply Quote
05/30/2012 06:08 PMPosted by SleepDealer

(Edited for clarity.)

So this is what a civil and helpful blue post looks like.

Yeah, it amazes me every time. You start with a civil forum poster and you get a civil blue post. Imagine that! /sarcasm
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]