Diablo® III

Problems with this class

We can't progress as fast as demon hunters or wizards, because we're melee and have to take damage to do damage without the ability to effectively kite. We need better gear to progress the same amount as ranged classes. I'm fine with that.

However some things I'm not fine with:

* Our fury spenders suck. From all I've read I'd wager that the vast majority of barbs in act 3 / 4 right now don't even use a fury dumping ability, because we need that precious extra ability slot for another defensive CD. Because of this, fury is insignificant, which makes the class less interesting. How many of you have wrath of the berserker as the only ability that costs fury?

* We are pigeon holed into using only certain abilities / builds. Yes this applies to other classes as well but especially for barbs. On top of that, almost every build in inferno relies on one ability, revenge, which is based off of RNG. Most engagements involve spamming the **** out of your revenge key and using other CDs when needed. Again, boring.

* Barbs are significantly easier to play solo than with groups (is it just me?). In groups, melee characters will take the bulk of the damage... which is scaled depending on the number of players in the game. Barbs need to be able to stand and fight for a prolonged time to be effective. Ranged classes don't: they die in 1 hit when playing solo and they still die in 1 hit in a party, so the increased damage of enemies doesn't even matter to them. Not the same with barbs... getting hit 2-3 times harder makes a huge difference: a barb that is kiting trying to avoid death is more or less a worthless deadweight.

I have gotten horribly bored of playing this class. I'm okay with the gear and gold grinding but the gameplay is completely one-dimensional right now. For the barb, inferno is not a skill check at all, just a gear check. Yes it's Diablo and gear is obviously important, but seriously. REVENGE. That's all there is.

Anyone else feel the same?

TLDR

1. Fury spenders suck -> fury is a useless class resource, makes class boring
2. Reliance on an RNG proc ability to do everything, and you HAVE to have it -> boring
3. Class sucks in party -> play solo unless you like dragging the party down
Edited by Genome#1182 on 5/31/2012 12:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Your last point is the most important. The keyword is deadweight. The only purpose a barbarian serves in a party is to make it harder for everyone else.
Reply Quote
Barbs are more than capable when playing solo. However I think we are at a huge disadvantage in parties. Its my impression that the HP/damage increase doesn't scale fairly.
Reply Quote
so completely agree especially the last point...

able to stand toe to toe somewhat when solo but I find myself or rather my body flying across the screen during party....

BOOM! I am FLYING!!!!!!
Reply Quote
You out of your mind? Barb is the most OP class in game. After leveling a monk to 60 and finishing the first 2 acts of inferno, then switching to Barbarian it was like night and day. After just a few days farming I was able to easily finish act 1 and not only that I can pull multiple champion packs and blow them up.

This class is sick strong right now, I bet nerfs are coming, but hopefully not. I am having so much fun destroying stuff. Take a look at some top players like Kripp who cleared inferno solo with his barb in like 2 days after launch. He was actually pulling 5 packs of mobs and doing the Jailer boss in act 1. He killed all 5 packs in about 15 seconds, got 5x neph valor buff instantly, so stupid no other class can do that.

People are on monk forums saying same thing as you and yet I cleared inferno first 2 acts easily with them. I think its just nature of the game, people struggle and blame the class.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
Kripp was only able to do that cause he was geared to the teeth with Act 4 gear
Reply Quote
You out of your mind? Barb is the most OP class in game. After leveling a monk to 60 and finishing the first 2 acts of inferno, then switching to Barbarian it was like night and day. After just a few days farming I was able to easily finish act 1 and not only that I can pull multiple champion packs and blow them up.

This class is sick strong right now, I bet nerfs are coming, but hopefully not. I am having so much fun destroying stuff. Take a look at some top players like Kripp who cleared inferno solo with his barb in like 2 days after launch. He was actually pulling 5 packs of mobs and doing the Jailer boss in act 1. He killed all 5 packs in about 15 seconds, got 5x neph valor buff instantly, so stupid no other class can do that.

People are on monk forums saying same thing as you and yet I cleared inferno first 2 acts easily with them. I think its just nature of the game, people struggle and blame the class.

I'm on act 3 with my barb. I'm not saying you can't finish inferno with it. I'm saying it's boring as hell to play and practically useless in parties.

Did you even read?
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
I feel the same way. Also I don't like how DH's and Wiz can stack damage stats and derp their way through inferno with an elementary tactic while melee's have to actually prioritize skills be extremely smart and patient with purchases not to mention the best shield for us barbs cost 10 !@#$ing million gold +. If you spent 10 million on a DH YOU WILL GET UP TO ACT 4 ! ITS GUARAN%^-*INGTEED. 3 mil for 1.3 bow with IAS stack IAS > Crit hit chance > crit hit damage boom you're a DH congrats! I apologize for the way I'm acting but everytime I think of DH progression compared to Barb's I get infuriated the price to gear each character is so far off and the payoff for buying those items is far off.

(for all you QQ haters and "reroll noob" people)I would've rerolled if I didn't drop 8mil on this barb I'm in 2 deep already like the majority of other barbs...

And yes this is a skill check, your character skills that is... Obviously don't stand in fire but where are the heroic boss WoW mechanics? Make it individual skill Blizzard not character/gear skill that's not true skill and doesn't give you individuality because everybody can copy someones build and learn how to play it. Personal skill can never be taught.

Don't get me wrong though I love barb's and as you can see from my face plate I'm a warrior I've got about 5 warrior's on WoW ranging from high 40s to 85. I understand Warr and Barb similarities we will probably *!#% PvP and end game tier with insane survivability and 1-shot-boss-capabilities. However going down this road will take a loooooooooooooong while... Possibly half a decade
Reply Quote

I'm on act 3 with my barb. I'm not saying you can't finish inferno with it. I'm saying it's boring as hell to play and practically useless in parties.

Did you even read?

Only point I was making is that Barbs gear scaling is the best, and with better gear you can do some sick things no other class can. yes he had act 4 gear, it took him a week to get that gear. It took me 1 day to clear act 1 , I expect to clear act 2 in next day, and act 3 soon after. Its a play style, if you don't like the melee class then try another class you might like better, but its not because barbarians are weak, I think they are the strongest in game currently.
Reply Quote
same issue with monk
Reply Quote
The biggest problem is itemization, which even the "barbarians are fine" crowd admits... we rely on the AH to buy gear from later acts, to progress in previous acts(aka act 2.)

Thorns is essentially broken(anywhere from 5-600 damage on hit for melee only attackers who have 300K+ hp?), and therefore a wasteful stat on gear. Should be % weapon damage which would be a huge benefit to 2h barbs, and if they nerfed damage output of mobs, would up overall dps of 1h barbs who SHOULD be taking a lot of hits over time.

Self healing is kind of a joke due to very circumstantial/situational or minimal healing, but wouldnt be an issue if mobs damage output was balanced.

The ratio of elite affixes, in which melee have to concern themselves with in general, is like 5:1 in comparison to range.

Mobs consistently run away from us, which is just fun fun fun -_-

Because ranged can kite, they can primarily concern themselves with 1 stat... barbs cant.
-Its getting to the point where I honestly think they need to put a leash on mobs(soft or hard) and reduce their damage output. In case you dont understand what soft or hard means... It means after X amount of yards from point of aggro, either they break pursuit and reset(hard), OR become enraged(soft). I prefer the enrage personally, cause its a an excusable punishment/trade off for ranged to deal with.
Reply Quote
@Erudite: You're not going to clear act 2 as a barb the day after you clear act 1 unless you have a lot of gold ready..

As for scaling... I wouldn't say barbs scale the best. Pretty much every ability for every class in the game is based off of weapon damage. Yeah you might be able to survive longer than other classes when you're geared to hell, but that is balanced out by the fact that you do 1/3 the DPS of a demon hunter or wizard. If you don't make too many mistakes as a DH / wizard you will be able to farm content way faster just with the sheer damage, so it evens out IMO.

If you spent 10 million on a DH YOU WILL GET UP TO ACT 4 ! ITS GUARAN%^-*INGTEED. 3 mil for 1.3 bow with IAS stack IAS > Crit hit chance > crit hit damage boom you're a DH congrats! I apologize for the way I'm acting but everytime I think of DH progression compared to Barb's I get infuriated the price to gear each character is so far off and the payoff for buying those items is far off.

Don't get me wrong though I love barb's and as you can see from my face plate I'm a warrior I've got about 5 warrior's on WoW ranging from high 40s to 85. I understand Warr and Barb similarities we will probably *!#% PvP and end game tier with insane survivability and 1-shot-boss-capabilities. However going down this road will take a loooooooooooooong while... Possibly half a decade

My DH hit 60 a bit over a day ago and is already halfway through act 3 with 1.5 mil spent on gear. I've spent 4x more on my barb but cannot reach the same point as my DH yet. I don't really care about that though... I just want the barb to be more interesting to play. Hopefully the inferno damage nerf will give us more options. I also had 5 warriors on WoW (3 were pre-realm transfers >_>).
Edited by Genome#1182 on 5/31/2012 12:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
@Erudite: You're not going to clear act 2 as a barb the day after you clear act 1 unless you have a lot of gold ready..

As for scaling... I wouldn't say barbs scale the best. Pretty much every ability for every class in the game is based off of weapon damage. Yeah you might be able to survive longer than other classes when you're geared to hell, but that is balanced out by the fact that you do 1/3 the DPS of a demon hunter or wizard. If you don't make too many mistakes as a DH / wizard you will be able to farm content way faster just with the sheer damage, so it evens out IMO.

If you spent 10 million on a DH YOU WILL GET UP TO ACT 4 ! ITS GUARAN%^-*INGTEED. 3 mil for 1.3 bow with IAS stack IAS > Crit hit chance > crit hit damage boom you're a DH congrats! I apologize for the way I'm acting but everytime I think of DH progression compared to Barb's I get infuriated the price to gear each character is so far off and the payoff for buying those items is far off.

My DH hit 60 a bit over a day ago and is already halfway through act 3 with 1.5 mil spent on gear. I've spent 4x more on my barb but cannot reach the same point as my DH yet. I don't really care about that though... I just want the barb to be more interesting to play. Hopefully the inferno damage nerf will give us more options.

I was just basing that off my monk, It took me about 2-3 days of farming to finish act 2, that was with buying gear and what I found. Its not hard to get gear off the AH now, and farming 200k/hour gold is easy, 300k/hour is not too hard if you are on the ball. Just saying you can get through act 2 with less then 1 million on gear. I farmed allot of usable act 2 gear on my monk in act 1 though, I will do same with Barb.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Heh ya I think it's not a case of IF we can do inferno but HOW we are doing it if we don't have the gold to buy gear.

#1 Most barbs are running into act 2 without a fury dump skill because we need either a burst attack or defensive skill up
#2 In groups melee doesn't work when they hit 15% + harder and have 110% life + when it takes then longer to burn. Meanwhile we get slapped around if we aren't kiting. It is very frustrating.

Do-able, but frustrating.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]