Diablo® III

Is life on hit necessary?

Hello all. I am currently in act 2 inferno. I can kill large packs of normal enemies pretty easily at this point, but still struggle with champions and elites. I currently don't have any life on hit and was just wondering if is necessary to progress through act 2. I am using a 1H and shield.

Here are my stats
8.5k armor
14k dmg with Marauder
60k health
600 resists buffed

Do I need life on hit along with these stats? Should I sacrifice some of them to get some life on hit? Thanks

Nothing is mandatory but it makes it easier when dealing with smaller amounts of units, specially boss fights where revenge or furious charge will only heal you for smaller amounts.

Your Armor is fine, and health is more then enough, honestly you can easily beat act 3/4 with 50k health so you can sack some vita for other stats if you want. 600 resists is too low though, you really want at least 700 all, I would aim for 800 if that is possible, but 700-750 is enough to clear act 2 easily without getting cranked by champions. I actually had similiar stats as you with 600 life/hit and 600 resists and I got cranked by champions. I then got my resists up to 725 vs all and I was able to farm 5x neph, good luck bro.
Reply Quote
YES

LoH is absolutely necessary in a2 inferno and beyond

it is the secret to beating a2 inferno

Although your other stats are still pretty lacking.... I'd shoot for 60k hp with 800+ resists buffed

It is absolutely not necessary for A2 Inferno. I have no troubles soloing elite packs in A2 (w/ 5 stack NV) with zero LoH (or Life-per-second / % life steal). Very little kiting necessary (maybe 1 in 5 elite packs) and 1 death on perhaps 1/4th the boss packs. I've progressed a bit into A3 (not far, just gone through to the start of the keep) with zero LoH (or Life-per-second / % life steal). And I'm not well geared by any means. 9.5k armor 41k hp 36% block 20% dodge 500-550 all resists 17k dps. Nothing exceptional.

It amazes me that they haven't made LoH scale down in Inferno like %life steal does. I feel like that's the nerf that's gonna come and make so many people relying on it incapable of soloing A2 or later.
Edited by Kinvalar#1152 on 6/6/2012 11:32 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I was wondering about Life regen

I looked up items on the AH trying to figure out the max here..

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5592456852
Reply Quote
It's not necessary in act 2 inferno, with my barb having 41K damage with buff & doing 60K+ crits often (100k+ w Wob), most of the mobs die in few hits, save for elites & champ packs. BUT act 3 is another matter, you need the life on hit to beat GHOM.
Reply Quote
No it's not necessary. I have no comment about 1H/shield but if you're using a 2H weapon I find LoH gear to be detrimental because you'll be sacrificing stats.
Reply Quote
I think LoH can be substituted if you are doing enough dps. That's why a lot of people go high damage with ignore pain. If you can smash it down in 7 seconds (with the increased time rune) you don't need to heal.

Health regen works just as good, but has diminished returns on inferno so that is why people prefer LoH.

Like a lot of other people though, i foresee some kind of nerf to LoH to put it in line with other healing stats.
Reply Quote
It won't be nerfed, because life on hit is still worse then life steal with more than 10 monsters around you. For instance if you do a revenge with 12k plus dps on 10 monsters, you will do 26k damage to each and would still get 1560 health back even with just 3% life steal on top of the 80% reduction. To get 1560 life on hit, you need multiple items. 3% you can get on basically anything, so if you stack at least 3 items with life steal you will heal almost 5k more with revenge, and of course cleave would be better in that case, also healing you a pretty good amount. The problem is, a lot of people saw the Kripparian video talking about how robbed life on hit is, that they don't think about how good life steal can be. And i didn't even considered WotB which basically multiplies your damage by 3 accounting + critical, + damage and + atk speed. If life on hit had any reduction at all, even 30%, it would become ridiculously worse than life steal. Right now, the balancing is great between life on hit and life steal.
Edited by Rato#1567 on 6/6/2012 11:49 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm a Sword and Shield barb with 0 life on hit, I finished Act2 and I'm now farming it for gear to do Act3.
Reply Quote
life on hit is necessary unless you can afford the 30+million block gear you need. Sprint / life on hit tornadoes is the method that requires the least amount of gold to progress.

i have
500 resist unbuff
7k damage
2x 400 life on hit weapons (note: top tier life on hit gems give 400 life on hit alone)
mostly all vit + highest resist gear

all of my gear was bought under 100k/ piece

I can survive in a2 4 player games.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
YES

Although your other stats are still pretty lacking.... I'd shoot for 60k hp with 800+ resists buffed

No.

Here are my stats
8.5k armor
14k dmg with Marauder
60k health
600 resists buffed

Do I need life on hit along with these stats? Should I sacrifice some of them to get some life on hit? Thanks

Speaking from personal experience. I.E. Did it with these type of stats.

Is the 8500 with our without Enchantress? If yes, then it's low. Armor should be in the 9k+ range, especially with a shield. Also, you'd be much better served dumping some of the HP (60k is a ton, I'm through Grom and I have 41-42k) and adding Resist All. Figure 700-800 range should help, with phys resist and usually fire resist being the highest.

Also, what's the block / block value of your shield? A lot of people get really into looking at stats and not the shield value. I.E. Block (without + block %) ranges from 10-20% on rare shields I believe. And block value (for the last 3 tiers) goes from 1700-2700, to 2700-3700, to 3700-4700. This is a pretty huge lump of mitigation.

Regarding life leech, it's not 100% necessary to kill A2, but it will help a TON. I killed A2 and did some painful farming (till I realized not worth it) with about 400 life leech. Which is easy to get. I'm now running about 1700 and it's kinda lulz. I literally face tank Belial in 90% mf gear and pretty much never have to worry about dying between dodge / block / etc. Once you hit A3 unless you're an absolute monster for gear (as the guy above noted 50%+ block) and have bazillions of gold sunk into it (31% storm...nuts...) plan on needing leech. Grom the gear check for barbs. Apparently' he's kiteable, but with 800 resist all, 9500 armor, and superstition the poison dot was melting me. I literally just face tank him now.

Hope this helps.
Reply Quote
06/06/2012 11:47 AMPosted by Rato
It won't be nerfed, because life on hit is still worse then life steal with more than 10 monsters around you. For instance if you do a revenge with 12k plus dps on 10 monsters, you will do 26k damage to each and would still get 1560 health back even with just 3% life steal on top of the 80% reduction. To get 1560 life on hit, you need multiple items. 3% you can get on basically anything, so if you stack at least 3 items with life steal you will heal almost 5k more with revenge, and of course cleave would be better in that case, also healing you a pretty good amount. The problem is, a lot of people saw the Kripparian video talking about how robbed life on hit is, that they don't think about how good life steal can be. And i didn't even considered WotB which basically multiplies your damage by 3 accounting + critical, + damage and + atk speed. If life on hit had any reduction at all, even 30%, it would become ridiculously worse than life steal. Right now, the balancing is great between life on hit and life steal.

I've never watched a Kripparian video, let alone one about Life on Hit. You're deluded if you think % lifesteal even remotely compares to LoH. Big deal you can get a 5k heal if you've got 10 mobs around you with revenge out. In that situation revenge is already healing you for half your health per use. Any other situation and your %life steal is doing absolutely crap. Take your example of 9% life steal.. with 20k dps outgoing you're only getting 360 life a second.. Amazing.

Adjusting my DPS for 5 stack frenzy I sit at roughly 30k dps. In that situation with 9% life steal I'm only getting 540 life per second from the life steal. Ignoring Sidearm on Frenzy (which greatly benefits from LoH over %lifesteal) I swing approximately 3 times per second. All I need to matcht that amazing %life steal is 225 LoH (after adjusting for Frenzy which only gains 80% of LoH benefit) which is very easy to get if you're splitting it among different items, or even 1 item.

LoH as it is currently implemented is giving people the ability to heal multiple THOUSANDS of hp a second if geared enough for it. There's a reason %lifesteal is massively reduced in Inferno and that's because they don't want a repeat of the lifesteal fiasco that D2 was. Life on Hit is the problem now. Reducing it to ~50% effectiveness would be more than fair, and it would still be superior to %lifesteal in most situations (%lifesteal is favored on many AoE skills that have very low coefficients for LoH, which could probably be adjusted to not be so harsh if LoH is nerfed). Frankly I'm surprised it didn't get the same Inferno penalty personally.

EDIT: Let's remember, they deemed it necessary to nerf Monk's Mantra of Healing. Part of it was changing the shielding rune, but they also cut the 3sec boost healing in half because 1200 life per second was too much. People are far surpassing that with LoH now.
Edited by Kinvalar#1152 on 6/6/2012 12:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
YES

Absolutely necessary...? You must be one of those idiots who stand in green and red. I have 0 LoH and I'm farming Act3 inferno.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]