Diablo® III

Armor vs. Resistance

So, at first, I just assumed armor protected me from physical things hitting me, and resistances were for elemental damage. But then I noticed I had physical resistance... so I'm a bit confused. Where does armor apply, and where does resistance apply? Also, what attacks can be dodged and what can't? I just want to know what defenses to choose for any given situation.
Reply Quote
good question!
Reply Quote
I am confused too!!!
Reply Quote
"All resist" items include physical resist.

Armor and resists are both included in the physical dmg reduction calculation. You want to balance the two effects to maximize the dmg reduction. The formula would be (1-a)*(1-b) where a is the % dmg reduction from armor and b is the % dmg reduction from resists. You can see the % reductions in the detailed stat screen.
Reply Quote
Hah! Well, hopefully we'll hear about it soon. I'm a big numbers guy, and I love knowing all the detailed mechanics of a game, so I'm bothered when I don't even know what makes armor and resistance different from each other :D
Reply Quote
I'm going to go ahead and guess armor affects all damage (regardless of enemy level?), at least from what I've observed from the Damage Reduction property in the character details. Perhaps resistance behaves similarly to armor based damage reduction, but scales based on enemy level.

I honestly don't know myself, it's just my interpretation of it. Hopefully someone who does know for sure can chime in and clarify.
Edited by Byteflux#1307 on 5/28/2012 6:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
So... armor is just physical resistance, except it stacks differently? Does armor contribute to other types of damage at all?
Reply Quote
My understanding is that armor applies to all types of damage.

Formula for the % dmg reduction is

Armor / (Armor + 50*Monster Level)
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Armor applies to all types of damage.

Individual resists apply to the specific type of damage.

All resists combined with single resists are multiplicative in determining reduction (providing you use the diminishing return values on the combination).

Pretty sure that's how it works anyway. Don't quote me on it, but that's how I've always thought of it.
Reply Quote
I asked the question here>> http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5271500547#1
and this quote seem to back up my assumption

***************** END TLDNR *****************##Final Note on Resistance/Armor: There's a bit more to the whole thing that just that. Resistances and DR do not appear to be additive (obviously, otherwise people would be taking 0 damage instead of getting rocked). My assumption is that DR is factored in first and Resistances afterwards (similar to D2). So if you have 70% DR and 50% resistance, you're taking 15% damage. 1 * (1 - 0.7)*(1 - 0.5) I have looked around at some numbers using that formula and there are some things I can say about it **Assuming that I am correct about the mechanics**.
Reply Quote
+10 armor functions exactly the same as +1 all resist

they act as two separate values contributing to the same ends.
Reply Quote

This would make sense. Since Strength affects armor and Intelligence affects resistance, different classes would see more benefit stacking armor vs resistance.
Reply Quote

This is not true. +10 int is exactly the same as +1 all resist.

Armor and All resist are interchangeable but not at a constant ratio of 10:1.
Reply Quote

This is not true. +10 int is exactly the same as +1 all resist.

Armor and All resist are interchangeable but not at a constant ratio of 10:1.

It's for quick reference, you don't want to sit down and make the full calculation every time you want to compare 2 items do you.

Formula for armor:
Armor / (Armor + EnemyLvl*50)
Resist:
Resist / (Resist + EnemyLvl*5)

While the value of the other goes up if they're not on even ratio of 10:1 already, generally 10 armor IS equal to 1 resist in term of overall DR for quick comparison of items.
Reply Quote
So, if 10 armor is worth 1 resist all, and 1 strength is worth 1 resist, and 10 int is worth 1 resist all, then Strength and Armor contribute equally to defenses? Setting aside the fact that they stack differently, of course. But this seems like Int is superior, since resist doesn't come from nearly as many sources as armor does. Is Int actually a better defensive stat than Strength?
Reply Quote
Yes, +1 int is better then strength for armor, but strength adds to damage, which is what will give you a return on life steal, a good compass is this get strength resist all items with +armor stats, Vit is needed very little, the people who get just VIT and armor are not thinking. Your armor does not contribute to direct attacks like magic as much so when taking range non physical damage your armor is reduced, when taking physical damage it is increased, so if you want an all around tank you would need to stack Armor and Magic resists with physical damage reduction, if you get 200 point of physical damage reduction with a shield and 4000 armor, you will get fully armored (its an award), once you have that, you will get things that pop up and say ABSORB when you are fighting your own level of mobs and they basically will do no damage to you at all. Then on special mobs like blues, the only thing that can hit you is the arcane lasers, which are beams and do a mad amount of damage when they are in a straight line, no regen armor can stop, I am trying to hit 350 arcane resists to see if it is even possible to absorb it. If not then blizzard has to do something about that.

Fyi I am 250 resists to everything with 4K armor with 21000 life and mad amounts of regen and life steal. Basically I can solo anything with 4 people in the group.
Edited by SeenOnTv#1929 on 5/29/2012 3:21 AM PDT
Reply Quote
if int is better than strength for armor, then why is it a barb or monk can tank better than a doctor? mind you though i have 30k life, and 2300 armor, and 200+ resists minimum, as a doctor.
Reply Quote
because the graphs are not linear.they reach a max efficacy, and therefore to maximize damage reduction, you need to contribute to both. Since its more likely for a barbarian to have higer armor, and strength, in addition to resist, and take block rate into effect, the barb is a tankier build than an int based hero.
Reply Quote
anal beads
Edited by arto#1612 on 6/6/2012 12:01 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]