Diablo® III

Weird premonition; should have trusted my gut

TLDR version: I didn't die but two teammates did. Honor the fallen!

So I've reached Act 2 Nightmare with my level 45 Wizard and I was going through Archives of Zoltun Kulle with 3 random people, a Witch Doctor, a Demon Hunter, and a Monk. A pretty respectable team except they were all about 4 levels below me, this was where the problems started. Right from the beginning I didn't really gel with them; I get a bad feeling when no one even returns my greeting when I join the game (later found out that at least one of them didn't speak english... don't ask me why he was in the NA servers) the other two were just the quiet types I suppose. But anyways, bad communication from the get-go. Beyond that I felt that I was pulling the team along, that I was doing a significant amount of the work and taking more risk than the rest of the team. These signs should have been more of a red flag, but hey, this is the furthest I've ever gotten and only my second HC character, what do I know. In this case ignorance was NOT bliss.

It wasn't until the Archives that things went from manageable to bad. I became very nervous at our pace, we were going too slow and I was taking a significant number of hits... Something, as a Wizard, I would rather avoid. I had this gut feeling that I could not shake.

I decided to try communication with my digitally mute komrades "I feel like we are in over our heads here, maybe we should call it quits..." I stated. The lack of conversation was nothing new, I honestly thought I had done something to offend them. But, I tried again "We aren't doing very well, I think we're under the suggested level range for this area." hoping someone would agree with me and turn us back.

For some reason I felt like I had to stay with them, like abandoning them was the wrong thing to do.

And then I almost died.

This wasn't like the majority of my near death experiences. Previously I had stood too long in an AOE poison or fire, or I decided to go toe to toe with a rare because it's HP was winding down faster than mine. This was actual, hopelessly, dying. I managed to get pinned to a wall by four champions of the fast electrified variety and both Diamond Skin and Mirror Image were on cooldown and I was lacking any kind of knockback. I honestly don't know why they suddenly decided to stop attacking me but the only reason I survived was that some shining miracle caught their attention for a split second and I made my escape.

At this point I was resolute with my team "Before we get to the Shadow Realm, I'm done. You should all turn back too." and at the very least I had confirmed that my teammates were nothing if not consistent in their silence... possibly the monk was a real monk and the vow of silence he took included online messaging as well. But, as promised, I went a little further.

And then all hell broke loose.

We encountered a Treasure Goblin, harmless enough, but we quickly found that the pacifistic coin-handler was wedged in between the worst monster combination I have come across to date. On the one side of us was a very fast molten vampiric rare, and on the other side was a frozen illusionist champion pack. Frozen anything can be a small challenge on its own but the rare was a surprisingly insidious critter that was regenerating as fast as we were damaging it. So we turned our attention to the frozen champions but by that point it was already too late for one of us... and then seconds later another hero fell.

The demon hunter and myself didn't have time to type anything, and for the first time we were able to communicate with perfect clarity. It is almost a shame that the only time I have ever experienced telepathy was with someone over the internet, and the message that we shared was "LET'S GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE!!!!11" (I was hoping my first time would be better but, oh well). We managed to assist each other on a retreat to the previous floor with an impressive amount of teamwork, if only we had shared this level of unison a few minutes earlier the results would have been much different.

In the end two of us made it. I was shaking with adrenaline, it was hard to type. We somehow managed a small chat, which meant I could put my concerns of his illiteracy to rest. We grieved for our fallen allies and departed the realm.

In the end I learnt a valuable lesson about trusting my instinct. But I also had an irreplaceable moment of excitement that I was not expecting from a video game. Ultimately I would hope that everyone remember what I now know, that Wizards and Demon Hunters are clearly the superior classes and everyone else sucks.

Thank you for your time :D
Edited by Chasmyr#1643 on 5/29/2012 9:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Excellent excellent story and very happy you're alive.
Reply Quote
YES YES YES YES YES !!!

Great story + happy ending. Thank you for sharing this and your quite the writer if I may say so =)
Reply Quote
awesome story bro,respect!.
Reply Quote
Nice, thanks for the great read
Reply Quote
that's it I'm making a hardcore character
Reply Quote
This is why I ONLY hang out in the hardcore section and ONLY play hardcore games. You'll never hear or experience stories with this much excitement and passion during a game, or the sorrow for the fallen, anywhere else.

I'm glad at least two of you made it out alive, especially you with your heroic albeit suicidal nature with that team. =)

Stay safe in future games and as always, honor to the fallen.
Edited by Abattoir#1873 on 5/29/2012 8:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Good story. However, I must admit that I am disappointed that you and your Demon Hunter ally did not share your teammate's fate. You deserved to die for the many mistakes you made; be thankful for this second chance and don't mess up like that again.

Mistake 1: Nobody returned your greeting yet you continued. This is not the biggest error but it would raise a few flags to me and I would have left and joined another game.

Mistake 2: If you feel nervous for a section, you are underleveled/gear. That is all you ever need to know. Do not progress in hardcore until you feel like you are overleveled/geared. Anything less is asking for disaster.

Mistake 3: Am I correct in assuming that you chased the treasure goblin in such a way that it attracted both packs? Always ignore goblins until everything else around them is clear. They're not THAT good.

That adrenaline rush is worth more than any rare drop. It is why we play hardcore, and yet we all fear to be in those situations. There are not enough players in Hell mode right now so please play carefully. Those who rush in unprepared end up like those teammates of yours.
Reply Quote
This story is so awesome it makes me want to play my new HC char... badly \*w*/ !
Reply Quote
awesome story dude i LOLLED and knew exactly what you were talkin bout in the telepathic LETSG ET THE HELL OUT OF HERE moment. lol loved it!
Reply Quote
I was going through Archives of Zoltun Kulle with 3 random people, a Shaman, a Demon Hunter, and a Monk.

wut.
Reply Quote
Thanks for the warm responses everyone!

@ Harold - Yes, I've used up quite a bit of good karma on that run I'm sure.

@ Walbert - A Shaman is what you call that character that I can never remember the name of. Changing it now :3
Edited by Chasmyr#1643 on 5/29/2012 9:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
And I do hope that you are inspired to join the hardcore :D
Reply Quote
05/29/2012 08:50 PMPosted by Harold
However, I must admit that I am disappointed that you and your Demon Hunter ally did not share your teammate's fate.

At least he wont make mistake #4: Grouping with Harold.
Reply Quote
Dam, you should be come an author. I avoid playing with people with level much lower than mine. Get use to running, i do it almost every game in hell.
Reply Quote
Epic. Makes me want to pick my HC Monk back up, but I don't want her to die!!
Reply Quote
Some countries don't have their own servers so not speaking English shouldn't be something suspect. I guess in Amurican servers it should be expected.
Reply Quote
Grats on surviving. Now make it to Hell. Would be awesome to have some more people to play with.
Reply Quote
Some countries don't have their own servers so not speaking English shouldn't be something suspect. I guess in Amurican servers it should be expected.

You bring up a valid argument my good man! Seeing as how I am not American myself I can only suspect that what you're saying about Americans might be accurate, if not prejudice in it's own right. And I know that if I was going to call someone out on their intolerance of other cultures I would certainly want to also then let them know of my own intolerances. You're right though, it was my mistake to begin with; I thought the server was a NA server (as written) and not a general Americas server. After countless minutes of Googling I have determined that it is not a NA, but an Americas server.

Perhaps I should have been more specific; you'll notice shortly after I used the word "Komrades" and I did this intentionally to hint at the fact that at the very least the dialect they were using was of the Eastern European variety. Whether it was Russian, Ukrainian, Czechoslovakian or one of the other less important ones I couldn't tell you :)

So yes, I'm sorry for writing an intentionally prejudice joke that made you entirely miss the point of this thread.

And after giving it some thought, I'm also sorry for intentionally writing this apology in a backhanded and insinuating way. My bad.
Reply Quote
05/29/2012 07:58 PMPosted by Chasmyr
It is almost a shame that the only time I have ever experienced telepathy was with someone over the internet, and the message that we shared was "LET'S GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE!!!!11" (I was hoping my first time would be better but, oh well).

Ha!

Great story. Moments like these are why hardcore exists, and why none of us can ever go back.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]