Diablo® III

Block % is overrated

Can we talk about how overrated block % is? Does anyone else agree? I have a 69 res all/5 elite stormshield with only 18% block but it's still amazing. I don't find that block helps as much as some people think when it procs, especially against elites. Other opinions?
Reply Quote
Block is awesome
the more resist you have, the best block get, as each hp is worth more and more.
Reply Quote
Can we talk about how overrated block % is? Does anyone else agree? I have a 69 res all/5 elite stormshield with only 18% block but it's still amazing. I don't find that block helps as much as some people think when it procs, especially against elites. Other opinions?

You can get over 50% block chance with the right gear combo. That is blocking HALF of all blockable attacks on average for 3k.

You do the math. Just because you wasted gold on a crappy Stormshield doesn't make it bad. The block chance is the main selling point of a Stormshield, im honestly surprised anyone buys them under 25%
Reply Quote
well the shield itself gives amazing stats even without looking at the %block so that's probably y people buy them. I for myself bought a 19% with great stats 5%/5% 70AR 90STR and 1-2 more good stats i don't remember but. I use Justice Lantern and other extra block% items so I end up near 40% block rate. Of course the 25%+ SS are to aim for but being rare makes them expensive.
Edited by Telion#1215 on 5/30/2012 11:07 AM PDT
Reply Quote
if anything, block % is UNDERrated. many barbs dont understand how damage mitigation works
Reply Quote
block% is excellent. Makes act2+ easier.
Reply Quote
i have somewhat of a stupid question. When a shield has "+% to block". is the block chance listed on the shield with or without this bonus?

For example a stormshield with +32% block chance. Does this include or not include +7%?
Reply Quote
i have somewhat of a stupid question. When a shield has "+% to block". is the block chance listed on the shield with or without this bonus?

For example a stormshield with +32% block chance. Does this include or not include +7%?

It is already added into the shield stats
Reply Quote
problem with block are later acts elites, if you get 20-30k blows (after reduction from armor and resists), that lousy -2-3k damage thanks to block is really not big deal. And using 1h, means lot less damage.
Reply Quote
block is absolutely overrated

block helps versus fast attacking mobs with low to medium damage, which are anyway piece of cake, considering how revenge works

block is only decent against hard hitters and pretty bad against elites which do lots of spell damage

if you want to kill trash and act bosses easily, go for block
if you want to kill elites and rares, go for good block items (eg an upper class stormshield with 25%+, and prolly a perfect helm of command, but skip that crappy ring) and then focus on vita/resil

you will die endless deaths with 40k hp and 50% block
Reply Quote
05/30/2012 01:00 PMPosted by aerial
problem with block are later acts elites, if you get 20-30k blows (after reduction from armor and resists), that lousy -2-3k damage thanks to block is really not big deal. And using 1h, means lot less damage.

Exactly. Block helps a lot in act 2 when you're in a pack of mobs. Maybe great for whimsy runs too. But for act 4 elites? Not really doing you all that many favors.

Especially when people are spending 10 mil for an extra 10% chance to block 3k dmg, which really isn't all that much mitigation compared to what else you can buy for 10m
Edited by Blade#1369 on 5/31/2012 9:07 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
u guys are buying stormshield is why... stormshield is not the highest shield tier (only 3700 block value on it) my magic shield i bought for 500k with 30% block 4770 block amount with 200 random stats on it is far superior to all of ss stats combined. 5 mil for a rare shield of this tier is even better then the cheap magic one i got, eithr way stormsheild sucks.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
1/3 more block amount is so HUGE. 15mil for a 25%+ stormshield is STUPID
Reply Quote
05/31/2012 09:11 AMPosted by Dah
u guys are buying stormshield is why... stormshield is not the highest shield tier (only 3700 block value on it) my magic shield i bought for 500k with 30% block 4770 block amount with 200 random stats on it is far superior to all of ss stats combined. 5 mil for a rare shield of this tier is even better then the cheap magic one i got, eithr way stormsheild sucks.

This may be true. If you can get a high % rare with more like 5k block then I can understand it making sense.

Although I think you're not fairly accounting for the 70 all res (which you can get from a rare top tier shield) and 9% melee elite reduced damage (which I don't think you can) you get from a SS.

I'm going to try some rough math, correct me if I'm wrong. Lets say after damage reduction (not block) a melee elite would do 20k dmg. a 9% reduction would be ~2k less dmg.

My SS gets 19% chance to block for ~3k dmg. That averages to 600dmg reduction per hit.

The rare you mentioned lets say has godly block and gets 30% block for ~5k dmg. That averages to 1.5k dmg per hit.

So you're losing the 2k dmg reduction and trading an average of 600dmg blocked per hit for 1.5k per hit. Obviously, the advantages of a rare are that it applies to ranged and non-elites as well. but I as well as many of you are primarily concerned with melee elite hits in act 3 and 4.

Additionally, this math changes as you reduce dmg. The higher your armor and all resist, the more valuable block is.
Edited by Blade#1369 on 5/31/2012 9:35 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Once you hit a certain gear/stat threshold, Block is the biggest thing you can do to increase survivability. My stats with Warcry/Impunity and an Enchantress:

http://i.imgur.com/PSQly.jpg

So, if I switched my SS/JL/HoC to rares with high Str+Vit+AllRes, I could get my resists up to ~1000 and possibly a bit more armor but I doubt it (My SS has 1380 armor). I could also gain some more Vit since my SS has none. My current HoC has Str/Vit/AllRes but no socket, once I find one that does I'll be at ~63k health which is plenty.

For me it comes down to 100ish more to all resists vs. more blocks for 3250 DR. Since you can block EVERYTHING in this game, including desecrate/plague puddles, fireballs, etc. I end up with much better overall DR with the high block. I know guys that have soloed inferno without stacking block so it's definitely possible, you take less damage overall with a block setup though.

It is not overrated in the slightest.
Reply Quote
Once you hit a certain gear/stat threshold, Block is the biggest thing you can do to increase survivability. My stats with Warcry/Impunity and an Enchantress:

http://i.imgur.com/PSQly.jpg

So, if I switched my SS/JL/HoC to rares with high Str+Vit+AllRes, I could get my resists up to ~1000 and possibly a bit more armor but I doubt it (My SS has 1380 armor). I could also gain some more Vit since my SS has none. My current HoC has Str/Vit/AllRes but no socket, once I find one that does I'll be at ~63k health which is plenty.

For me it comes down to 100ish more to all resists vs. more blocks for 3250 DR. Since you can block EVERYTHING in this game, including desecrate/plague puddles, fireballs, etc. I end up with much better overall DR with the high block. I know guys that have soloed inferno without stacking block so it's definitely possible, you take less damage overall with a block setup though.

It is not overrated in the slightest.

When I say it's overrated, I don't mean it's not good. I just mean that a 60/4 SS with 30% blocking going for over 10m while a 69/5 with 19% block goes for more like 5m is an overvaluation of the block stat.
Reply Quote
blocks from shields are good only when you have a strong dmg mitigation. If you are already getting 2 shotted with 40k life, blocks doesn't help you one bit.
Reply Quote
I would agree with you there. It is likely that the gold could be better spent elsewhere for most barbs. There is always a premium to pay for perfect and near perfect rolls of desirable mods though, and there are some people who genuinely can't buy upgrades elsewhere for the 5mil or whatever it would cost to get a better SS.
Reply Quote
05/31/2012 10:03 AMPosted by suprfli6
I would agree with you there. It is likely that the gold could be better spent elsewhere for most barbs. There is always a premium to pay for perfect and near perfect rolls of desirable mods though, and there are some people who genuinely can't buy upgrades elsewhere for the 5mil or whatever it would cost to get a better SS.

I completely agree, and have no doubt that a 70/5 SS with perfect block is and should be worth 50m or something like that.

But a low stat 62/4 SS that has high 20s block is another story. And those are going for 10m right now, bc barbs are dying and they hear "block is omgsogood" and assume it's going to fix all their problems. And then I have to hear "lol man your 69/5 SS with 19% block 14% mf sucks bro low block".
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]