Diablo® III

The Inferno Act 2 barrier.

Hey guys, I switched to dh 2 days ago as I had troubles with my monk at inferno act 2. I could continue playing my monk by using the "Stack res and vit" built but being a tank with low dps is not the reason why I rolled a monk in the first place. After reading the forums, I decided to give the "dw +LoH +attspd/dex+ res" built a try but I realised it costs lot of gold. I rolled a dh as I was under the assumption that demon hunters are able to farm/grind really easily at act 4 inferno.

Anyway, i'm currently stuck at act 2 inferno with my DH as well. My current stats are:
hp : 16k
dex : 1555
dmg : 29.7k (Without sharp shooter)
Crit hit chance : 17%
Crit hit dmg : +50%
attacks per second : 2.72
DR : 42.93%
Dodge chance : 35.5
Basically, Im trying to go for the cannon glass build which means my res for all the elements are generally below 100.

My skillset: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/28/screenshot009qp.jpg/

Anyway, i can't get through act 2 and was hoping to find some answers on the forum. I use stutter step micro (Starcraft 2 Terran player) whenever i kite the elites but I can never kill them before i run out of discipline( my chest armor adds 9disc) Any help is greatly appreciated. Cheers
Reply Quote
2 Dwarf Priest
I kited tough champ pulls to a dead end somewhere out of the way and died and just skipped them. Some combos are just not possible without overgearing the act. The important part is getting to Act three or four to farm better gear. The act one and two drops are just terrible. It seems like they are the same drops from hell. I would just try to get past any way possible as fast as possible which means skipping most champ packs.
Reply Quote
but If I can't even kill act 2 elites, wouldnt I get **%@d in act 3? :S
Reply Quote
It's funny - I am actually shelving my DH for a bit for this reason :) Love the class and could likely slog through Inferno, but it slowly becomes a glass cannon matter of kill - die - respawn -kill - die.

Curious to see what Patch 1.03 brings.
Reply Quote
bump. need some useful advice
Reply Quote
Hey guys, I switched to dh 2 days ago as I had troubles with my monk at inferno act 2. I could continue playing my monk by using the "Stack res and vit" built but being a tank with low dps is not the reason why I rolled a monk in the first place. After reading the forums, I decided to give the "dw +LoH +attspd/dex+ res" built a try but I realised it costs lot of gold. I rolled a dh as I was under the assumption that demon hunters are able to farm/grind really easily at act 4 inferno.

Anyway, i'm currently stuck at act 2 inferno with my DH as well. My current stats are:
hp : 16k
dex : 1555
dmg : 29.7k (Without sharp shooter)
Crit hit chance : 17%
Crit hit dmg : +50%
attacks per second : 2.72
DR : 42.93%
Dodge chance : 35.5
Basically, Im trying to go for the cannon glass build which means my res for all the elements are generally below 100.

Anyway, i can't get through act 2 and was hoping to find some answers on the forum. I use stutter step micro (Starcraft 2 Terran player) whenever i kite the elites but I can never kill them before i run out of discipline( my chest armor adds 9disc) Any help is greatly appreciated. Cheers

So, basically the good part about DH is they can kill stuff without much gear, the glass cannon build. DH have the ability to kite, and it sounds like your already pretty good at kiting. The glass cannon build gets even better as our gear gets higher (basically we kill stuff even faster before they have a chance to even touch us). The problem is act 2, 3, and 4 have mobs that can pretty much kill you even if you kite perfectly because they either turn invisible, jump to you, teleport to you, etc... The same holds true for a good majority of elite/champion packs. Its extremely tricky and quite frustrating because if you get hit even once, your dead. You do have a few options open. 1) Keep at it, you'll die MANY times but you can skip most of the elite/champion packs and make some progress. This is the primary difference between DH and say monks and barbarians, they don't have this option. 2) Get better gear. This is going to be expensive but if you save up a few mil and upgrade your gear, you can try to obtain a much higher dps (100k+ without sharpshooter or close to it) this will allow you to kill most elite/champion packs while kiting for a much shorter amount of time. 3) Get better gear. This time I mean res/armor. Now this wont let you survive hits from everything (DH simply don't have the passive/active defensive skills to soak up damage reliably without using shadow power gloom) however you will be able to take a few hits from regular mobs if you get enough res/armor and a decent amount of health. If you take this route, be sure not to sacrifice too much dps for it.
Reply Quote
05/31/2012 06:11 AMPosted by NathanL

Here is my build: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#aRYXVT!YTe!acZZYZ

Hungering Arrow is fine. Could replace your rune with Puncturing Arrow but that is just my preference.

You should be using Nether Tentacle and not Lightning Bolts.

You dont even have a rune on Marked for Death. I would advise not even using this ability but it is up to you, replace it with Caltrops or Vault.

Bat, thats fine.

SS/prep thats also fine. I run with Lingering Fog and the disc regen runes but it is up to your play style what you use.

Switch out Tactical Advantage for SS or Cull the weak (if you use caltrops).

Act 2 is notoriously hard due to mob mechanics creating additional difficulty. Keep on kiting and skipping packs that you dont feel are worth your time, or simply buy some act 3/4 Quests / WP.

Hope this helps.
Edited by Nakeddave#1894 on 5/31/2012 7:24 AM PDT
Reply Quote
You dont even have a rune on Marked for Death

Woops, i think I accidentally forgot to add a rune while I was changing my skills. I use grim reaper.

Isnt it better to use lightning bolts? You dont benefit from the 3 percent lifesteal as i'm always either full hp or dead. I never find myself in a situation where i have anything in between as the mobs 1 hit me.

simply buy some act 3/4 Quests / WP.

Aren't the elites in acts 3/4 more difficult than act 2 for inferno? If i get owned by them in act2, wouldn't I be utterly useless in acts 3 and 4?
Reply Quote
bump.
need some answers.
Reply Quote
I found Act 3 (aside from the godawful Tower of the Damned) much more bearable than Act 2. Act 2 is mostly wide open desert or tightly enclosed caves. The packs don't matter to me much (aside from reflect damage), it's the pathing. Act 3 has a lot of chokes and corners. Actually, Act 4 has been easier than Act 3 in that sense, until the Aspects of Terror start showing up.
Reply Quote
Do not switch out Tactical Advantage for Sharpshooter, stupid notion when considering "play style" a 60% movspd increase outweighs a stacking crit chance when ur critting 17% of the time w/o it and laying 2.7 atks per second. Just keep at it OP act2 took me a solid week of dying, snakes suck.
Reply Quote
05/31/2012 11:58 AMPosted by NathanL
You dont even have a rune on Marked for Death

Woops, i think I accidentally forgot to add a rune while I was changing my skills. I use grim reaper.

Isnt it better to use lightning bolts? You dont benefit from the 3 percent lifesteal as i'm always either full hp or dead. I never find myself in a situation where i have anything in between as the mobs 1 hit me.

simply buy some act 3/4 Quests / WP.

Aren't the elites in acts 3/4 more difficult than act 2 for inferno? If i get owned by them in act2, wouldn't I be utterly useless in acts 3 and 4?

I went through act 2 until belial with 20k dps without sharpshooter and 12k hp (might as well have been 1hp, as i get 1shotted by anything that touches me, even white mobs)

Use caltrops instead of mark of death with tortuous ground rune, it's less discipline-intensive than SS kiting.

You can also use it instead of SS when you are about to be hit by someone in melee range - 2 second of invulnerability (from stunning them) for 6 disc.

Belial should be easily doable with anything above 30k dps. I'm sure it's possible to do it with lower as well.
Edited by teotuf#1180 on 5/31/2012 1:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
hmm okay. i'll try and find someone who'll give me a3 inferno waypoint. I still have 2 questions though

1) is my dps enough for act3 inferno?
2) why NT and not lightning bolt?

Thanks.
Reply Quote
Use caltrops instead of mark of death with tortuous ground rune, it's less discipline-intensive than SS kiting.

Ill give that a try when the servers are fking up. haha cheers bro.
Reply Quote
hmm okay. i'll try and find someone who'll give me a3 inferno waypoint. I still have 2 questions though

Thanks.

1a) higher is better, but i was at 25k without sharpshooter in act 4 up until diablo (then decided it's too much luck based until i can kill the shadow clone in 1.5 secs)

1b) get a 100+ dex boots (or better) with 12% movement speed.

2) NT hits for 155% per tick, and ticks 1-3+ times on large enemies with large hitbox (think act bosses), so in fact each shot you fire effectively does somewhere between 300-500% of your dps. It's especially amazing when you use it vs mobs with missile dampening - you can kill someone with 2 mil hp with about 5 shots of NT
Edited by teotuf#1180 on 5/31/2012 1:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Thanks.

Because it does the exact same thing as Lightning Balls with an added benefit.
Reply Quote

Thanks.

Becuase NT does the exact same thing as Ball lightning but also has the 3% life leach, thats all.
Edit: While this seems lackluster when you are getting 1 shot, it does help a tiny bit for the frusterating reflect damage mobs.
Edited by Dragon#1921 on 5/31/2012 1:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
NT is so much more than ball lightning even without the 3% life leech. The effect damage per shot fired isn't even comparable.

I don't get why everyone thinks act 2 is harder than 3 or 4... Have you guys met soul rippers and aspects of terror???? The invisible snakes at least makes a sound and you can see the ground warp when they move around... Aspects of terror just literally jumps out from no where and 1hko you.
Edited by teotuf#1180 on 5/31/2012 1:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm considering dumping SS as well due to the nerf. Took a break off my DH because it was becoming so frustrating. Is the 3% life leach viable? I guess in large groups you get a lot of HP back. Hmmm... maybe it's time to get back to my DH. :)
Reply Quote
It's funny - I am actually shelving my DH for a bit for this reason :) Love the class and could likely slog through Inferno, but it slowly becomes a glass cannon matter of kill - die - respawn -kill - die.

Curious to see what Patch 1.03 brings.

Exactly. I've been leveling my barb and wiz also. I love my DH, and I have been able to progress (part way through A3) but imo it simply isn't what I consider to be fun.

Sometimes I run A1 for a quick romp and some rare items. But until it's possible to take 4-5 normal hits without dying, I don't know if I'll continue playing my DH much.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]