unequipped weapon and rings:

2040 dps
1 attacks/sec

24 dot ticks @ 405 damage/tic

equipped +14% ias rings:

2611 dps
1.28 attacks/sec

24 dot ticks @ 405 damage/tic

IAS doesn't improve you dots at all, it just inflates your dps number.

edit: if the application of haunt crits, then all tic's crit, else nothing crits.
Edited by Shinzo#2304 on 6/1/2012 11:19 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I don't think attack speed helps any DOT spells except for the wizard's hydras??
Reply Quote
Confirmed.

The other WD skills that actually scales with attack speed and not on a per-cast basis are Toad of Hugeness (more damage the more actual DPS you have, scales with IAS) and Groping Eels (same thing).
Reply Quote
AS is meant for PD and RoT.. > casting speed.
Edited by dLspeed#1426 on 6/1/2012 12:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I believe you missed a key factor - in the first example, the dot lasts 12 seconds. In the second example, the dot lasts less than 12 seconds.
Reply Quote
06/03/2012 06:11 PMPosted by Dragonfly
I believe you missed a key factor - in the first example, the dot lasts 12 seconds. In the second example, the dot lasts less than 12 seconds.

not true, i tested with like 50% IAS and the dot still lasts for 12 secs and deals the same amount of !@#$ty damage
Reply Quote
Oh really? That sucks. I thought i heard otherwise.
Reply Quote
Do other classes have DoT skills too? Are they affected by attack speed?

The problem is some DoT ARE improved by IAS and some aren't. I know Haunt and Locust Swarm aren't.

DoT from Acid Cloud (not the initial blast) can be improved by IAS.

After reading an article, it seems to me that IAS is supposed to improve your DoT damage (not ticking speed).
Edited by Jibikao#1131 on 6/4/2012 10:17 AM PDT
Reply Quote
That would be a pretty nifty change if they made attack speed affect dot durations or tick rates. 2 handers wouldn't feel so necessary for dot builds, and dodging would be a hell of a lot easier
Reply Quote
Confirmed.

The other WD skills that actually scales with attack speed and not on a per-cast basis are Toad of Hugeness (more damage the more actual DPS you have, scales with IAS) and Groping Eels (same thing).

that's interesting. No wonder groping eels was working so much better when I had 1.6 attack speed. (vs the 1.0 I have now).

Toad still sucks. even if you had 10.0 attach speed.
Reply Quote
IAS doesn't apply to our dots, correct. It does apply to some wiz spells (like Hydra) but no bueno for us. That's why I (try) to avoid it on weapons. I love fast cast speed/darts/IAS but it hurts our effective damage versus our char sheet damage number.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
this is completly garbage.......... whats the point of stacking attackspeed and crit if it doesnt help your dots... sure it will increase your damage in the stats ! but in a fight.... who stand there and shoot darts? gotta kite all day in inferno... god damn blizzard do something !!!
Reply Quote
It sometimes depends on whether the skill is single-target or aoe. IAS allows you to put Haunt on more mobs more quickly, thus increasing your total damage output. But you do have to cast Haunt repeatedly on separate mobs in order to gain the benefit of IAS.

Other skills, such as Grasp, do not benefit from improved casting rate, so the IAS is factored directly into their damage output.

EDIT: Actually I think it depends on if the skill has a cooldown or not.
Edited by xaraca#1768 on 6/6/2012 11:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]