Diablo® III

Discouraged, looking for community feedback

Hello everyone,

After unlocking hardcore I could not stand playing softcore. I have been playing hardcore exclusively but I keep running into trouble. I have died because of lag, distractions, and just plain noob-ishness. I just lost another character and I just want to ask those who have made it quite far in Hardcore something.

After some 150 hours of overall play I have yet to finish Act 3. The difficulty of the game is only gonna get harder. Do you guys reckon I'll just manage finish the game on normal then get wiped on nightmare? I don't know how steep a curve that difficulty change is.
I just feel as though spending another 50 hours just to die immediately on the next difficulty would be a nail in my hardcore coffin.

So, is the game so hard that someone struggling in late game normal would be unable to continue?
On the one hand I'd hate to die so far again, or further. But, I really don't feel the rush of play on softcore.

P.S. my last death was because I walked into a room (clouded by the fog of war) and a herd of acidic suicide bomber demons blew up on me simultaneously, costing me over 3.5K hp in a flash. 0 time to react or use a potion... what a cheesy way to die.
Reply Quote
You need vi + your main stat on everything. 1/2 at least of your skills should be defensive.

If you do this you will blow through normal.
Reply Quote
94 Tauren Druid
I had a similar experience when I first started D2 HC. I went right into it - having hardly played SC at all. I didn't beat act 1 until about my 16th sorceress. Then when I was finally beating act1, I kept dying soon after to all sorts of stuff - including PKs! The road to beating HC-Hell had many pitfalls and plateaus.

What I discovered is that you need a different overall strategy... getting a character through hell or inferno isn't going to be about making 1 uber char and never dying. It's about building up your account slowly. Make more than 1 character. A high level character is a valuable asset for farming and power-leveling. And make sure that when each character dies, they leave behind enough money and gear to make your next character have an easier time leveling.

It's like trying to build a really tall tower. You need to build a wide base.
Reply Quote
Hardcore is probably not for everyone, but if you've already the HC bug, you may not get any satisfaction playing softcore mode again.

If that's the case, you'll need to try and resolve the problems that have gotten you killed in the past. If you didn't have enough time to react to the suicide bomber mobs, then perhaps, you're not being cautious enough within indoor environments, opening doors and going around corners and such.

In general, it sounds like you just need to go slow and steady, and you'll have better results. I haven't sufferered a death yet, and I've played about 70 hours total on about 7 different characters. My main HC demon hunter just yesterday got through normal difficulty. The first champion pack I met in nightmare difficulty was fast and nightmarish. I didn't die, but the speed at which they moved (even through my snares) startled me enough to know that the difficulty curve is going to be significant.

Good luck!
Reply Quote
You're clearly not learning from your mistakes.. normal HC is one of the easiest games I've ever played.. just look out for +vit items, you should have no problems.
Reply Quote
Crow is right. Other than that, patience is a virtue :D You have to be able to run. I play barb so I'm constantly in the "move in close, hold mouse button" mode. Most times I've died, I had a chance to turn and run (because there were signs) but habit lured me into the fray. Constantly be on guard.
Reply Quote
Thanks for all the positive responses everyone.

I will take your advice and play through again, focusing on vit. I've never ignored the stat, in fact I sought it constantly but I should commit to it even more.

I guess I just don't know what minimum stat base I have to meet. I had 600 armor and 3.5Khp by the "depths" portion of actIII. Figured that was enough to safely get me through on normal but clearly it wasn't.

If anyone can give a general stat base I should strive for on all difficulties I would really appreciate it. You've all been very kind and I sincerely appreciate your hospitality.

And btw the suicide bombers were in a narrow hallway clouded by the fog. Not to be arrogant here but I seriously don't believe I could have been anymore cautious. I think that enemy placement sealed my fate either way.
Reply Quote
Honestly, it sounds like you need to be playing SC. HC is not for everybody. I'm currently in NM A4 with a level 45 monk (not over-leveled) and haven't even gotten close to dying.

Granted, I do also have a SC Inferno A3 Wiz so I know the things I need to look out for, but if you can't beat normal with ease you should not be playing HC.
Reply Quote
There's a thread with tips for hardcore in it, and it's worth a read.

There are playstyle habits that you need, one of which is to expect that your next doorway will be your last; watch for greenish flowing spots, as those are suicide bombers, don't ever get cornered, and always have a few powers that help for defense.

I won't set it forth as any kind of standard, as I don't know what's normal, but you had a very similar number of hit points to what I had for my two witch doctors who just finished up Act 3 normal earlier, at the point in Act 3 in which you died earlier. You can check out the thread that describes their adventures, if you'd like; I'm providing basic stats for them at each point they stop along the way, so there is at least some reference point for hit points, etc, and some thoughts about strategy and tactics. Here's the link:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5271779993

There's no mystery or magic to being successful at hardcore. If somebody with slow and unreliable twitch reflexes like me can do it, then anybody can do it; you probably just need to alter a few of your playstyle habits, to have better success.

Good luck, and hopefully you'll have plenty of fun along the way.
Reply Quote

What I discovered is that you need a different overall strategy... getting a character through hell or inferno isn't going to be about making 1 uber char and never dying. It's about building up your account slowly. Make more than 1 character. A high level character is a valuable asset for farming and power-leveling. And make sure that when each character dies, they leave behind enough money and gear to make your next character have an easier time leveling.

This advice is incredibly spot on.
Reply Quote
Honestly, it sounds like you need to be playing SC. HC is not for everybody. I'm currently in NM A4 with a level 45 monk (not over-leveled) and haven't even gotten close to dying.

Granted, I do also have a SC Inferno A3 Wiz so I know the things I need to look out for, but if you can't beat normal with ease you should not be playing HC.

Ignore the troll and keep moving. If you enjoy hardcore, keep playing it.
Reply Quote

I second the motion.
Reply Quote

I second the motion.

Indeed the shared stash between hardcore sealed the deal, provided the continuity to make it really worth it even if you lose a high level character.

Its not enough to have some vit, you have to try and equip stuff with Lots of Vit AND a shield. It makes a pretty big difference if your health bar is dipping. Check the auction house. You can sometimes get stuff thats wayyy better than what you have for pretty cheap. It will completely change your experience. Even if you make a character that ends up dying.. if you save a sizable portion of what gold he acquires while questing.. your next character can get set up well enough to cruise and farm.
Reply Quote
What a wonderful community. I really appreciate all this feedback. I'll grab my self a shield, stash in anticipation of failure and level hard. Thanks again folks.
Reply Quote
As soon as HC was unlocked I play HC exclusively, since I have played D2 HC before I know the general gist and creating multiple chars is a MUST have a 52 wiz, 43 monk, 40 dh, 40, barb, 40 WD. My wiz is at Act IV NM and the rest are at NM as well in various stages, knowing the boss fights is a big advantage, go at a safe pace, use the AH and have fun. (NM elites/champions (hate mortar/wall combos) are a pain and I can't imagine what hell is like let alone Inferno....)
Reply Quote
You sound like you need to do some homework - Read some guides, and focus on primary stats + Vit.

Try to keep your gear not under 10 lvl's for your current lvl. Try to keep your weapons within 3-4 lvls of your lvl. So..if your lvl 30 and still using the same weapon from lvl 21, your going to have a HUGE problem.

+VIT like everyone else said.

Also, just be cautious. I have been playing videogames forever, im lvl 50 in Act 4 NM right now about to get into HELL - and I have yet to find anything difficult at all (playing a monk).
Reply Quote
If you want to, you can add me and we can play together some time. I'm kinda new to hardcore myself. Angelusnex12#1481
Reply Quote
Seconding / thirding / fourthing comments about the shared hardcore stash. Yes leveling up and defeating new acts / difficulties is a goal, but I also get a lot of satisfaction out of watching my stash grow in its low level twinky awesomeness.

i.e. enjoy the journey as much as the destination, I guess?
Reply Quote

I second the motion.

Thirded.

My first Monk finished A4 normal with 4k health and 200 dps. Due to gems and items, my second Monk finished A4 normal with 5k health and 400 dps. My Wizard? 5k health 650 dps.
Reply Quote
Don't be discouraged by death - learn from it. The sole source of disappointment in HC is death, so avoid getting even close if possible by replaying missions and/or utilizing the auction house to improve gear. Have fun and stay alive!
Edited by kill#1381 on 6/2/2012 8:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]