Diablo® III

Hungering Arrow VS Bola Shot(Imminent Doom)

Ok. What's more dps on a single mob? No matter how I do the math, Bola Shot(with I.D.) comes out on top, but I'm not sure I'm doing it right. The only downside I see with Bola Shot is with the I.D. rune it has a 2 second delay for the damage, and there is a hidden initial damage from Bola Shot that can take ur early crit away if your using Sharpshooter(Most of the time I'll see like a 150-300 crit when the Bola first hits). Can anyone bust out some serious math to show the difference between these two attack and find out what truly is the most dps hatred generating shot?

BS(I.D.)= 182% x 10 shots= 1820 non crit
HA(P.A.)= 115% x 10 shots= 1150+ 50%= 1725 non crit... that right?
Reply Quote
Well ideally you shouldn't even really need to use a hatred gen shot. Nether tentacles and the bat companion seems to be the way to go for most people.
Reply Quote
But here's what I don't get, why is everyone so hyped on Nether tent? Frost arrow does more weapon damage per shot, so is it just because Nether can heal u a bit?
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Mage
06/03/2012 05:49 PMPosted by Thugsid
But here's what I don't get, why is everyone so hyped on Nether tent? Frost arrow does more weapon damage per shot, so is it just because Nether can heal u a bit?

heal and hit more then 3 target :P
Reply Quote
Refer to http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5150760659 for hungering arrow damage. Your numbers are way off.

Nether tentacles can hit 1-4 times (for 155% damage) depending on monster speed/size.
Reply Quote
Refer to http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5150760659 for hungering arrow damage. Your numbers are way off.

Nether tentacles can hit 1-4 times (for 155% damage) depending on monster speed/size.

It can hit the same mob 1-4 times?
Reply Quote

Yes. Generally only 1 or 2 hits vs ordinary stuff, 3-4 vs act bosses/large monsters.

It also owns missile dampening because each orb hits 500000000000 times if they get in range of anything.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter

Yes. Generally only 1 or 2 hits vs ordinary stuff, 3-4 vs act bosses/large monsters.

It also owns missile dampening because each orb hits 500000000000 times if they get in range of anything.
God, I wish missile dampening was on every rare pack.

A giant red ball of death and when anything touched it they fell over.
Reply Quote
yes NT does hit multiple times on one target

Refer to http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5150760659 for hungering arrow damage. Your numbers are way off.Nether tentacles can hit 1-4 times (for 155% damage) depending on monster speed/size.It can hit the same mob 1-4 times?

but the bat is just a waste of discipline when you can get crazy damage from hungering arrow/ cinder is my favorite rune all though they are all efficient. don't waste the disc on the bat.....
as far as bola i wish it was better than it was i have a bassline 55k dps without ss and sometimes it only hits for 5-900 the fact that the bola does not explode on impact and does aoe damage i would recomend hungering that way you can still widdle down health whil regenning hatred.

why would u consider the bat a waste of disc? u just summon it and forget it
Reply Quote
Nether tent offers a lot of advantages and its dps per hatred makes it our best attack for now. Not only does it usually hit most mobs twice (and bosses with big models much more than that) it pierces through inconvenient affixes like invulnerable minions to get that mob in the back you were aiming for. Its also an excellent aoe if you can funnel the mobs through a doorway.

Additionally, it has good synergy with the sharpshooter passive. With a high attack speed you can crank out 6+ NT, and every one in the air before the first one hits will have that 100% crit you built up.

It also makes missile dampening an affix you look forward to instead of dread.

The only reason I even keep hungering arrow anymore is that sometimes you come across fast moving mobs like the wasps from act 2 that are impossible to hit with something so slow.
Reply Quote
So lets say Im running Hungering and Nether Tent.. with just caltrops and smokescreen, u guys manage to not die all the time in Inferno? Half the reason i stay alive long enough to do damage is by spamming either frost arrow or Entagaling shot and running. What build would u recommend?
Reply Quote
Caltrops can take care of most things long enough for you to kill it. There is the added benefit of not having to stop to drop it too.
Reply Quote
Ok. What's more dps on a single mob? No matter how I do the math, Bola Shot(with I.D.) comes out on top, but I'm not sure I'm doing it right. The only downside I see with Bola Shot is with the I.D. rune it has a 2 second delay for the damage, and there is a hidden initial damage from Bola Shot that can take ur early crit away if your using Sharpshooter(Most of the time I'll see like a 150-300 crit when the Bola first hits). Can anyone bust out some serious math to show the difference between these two attack and find out what truly is the most dps hatred generating shot?

BS(I.D.)= 182% x 10 shots= 1820 non crit
HA(P.A.)= 115% x 10 shots= 1150+ 50%= 1725 non crit... that right?

the reason i dont use bola shot: doesn't stagger on intial hit
Reply Quote
I don't even use a slow and im doing fine in act 3 inferno so far. Using tactical advantage along with SS and vault(acrobatics rune) to gain ground to kite with and its working out for me so far. I also have movement speed on my boots which helps.

CCs of any kind just don't seem to last long enough on inferno to justify the waste of disc on something like caltrops. Especially when that disc could potentially be used on the life-saving SS.
Edited by Bludvein#1217 on 6/3/2012 7:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Personally i dont like Bola shot because of the small delay it has before doing damage. Sometimes when you face mob rushing you and running low on Disc so that you cant SS or Vault immediately it can be the difference between life and death. A direct dmg shot or burst with HA may kill the mob before it hits you while with BS you may get hit and die before the shot explode.

Granted those situations shouldnt happen too often but still. Or perhaps its my playstyle but i feel much safer using HA - Devouring than Bola as my main for that reason.
Edited by S6SixS6#1801 on 6/3/2012 7:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
One more question then.. what is the "chance" % for Nightstalker passive?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]