Diablo® III

Gain damage when equipping shield?

I'm sure it's something stupid I'm overlooking, but here's what I'm seeing:

I have a 747 dps mainhand. I have a shield equipped which has 71 dex, some str, some resist, and +life from orbs. With this I'm showing 10169 damage.

When I swap out my shield for a 325 dps off hand which has 87 dex, some +damage, some crit damage increase and random other stats, my displayed damage goes down to 8370. Everything else remains the same.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why exchanging a weapon for a shield makes me lose damage... any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks very much,
Reply Quote
Half of your attacks are now with a Weapon with less DPS than your main weapon = Less damage than if you just had shield. Its really simply.
If you dual wield, make sure they have around same DPS (as it even says ingame on a loading screen !) for maximum output
Reply Quote
Because you do not attack with each weapon simultaneously, you attack with your main hand, then off hand so it is averaging your DPS and the 15% attack speed from dual wielding is not enough to make up for the low DPS of your offhand weapon.

With the shield every attack you do is from your 747 weapon, swapping out the shield for a 325 DPS weapon means every other hit will only do 325 weapon damage, thereby lowering your DPS.
Reply Quote
http://blackrabbit2999.blogspot.com/2012/05/diablo-3-game-mechanics-complete-guide.html
Reply Quote
Has that always been the case? I always thought weapons attacked in parallel, not in series. Kirby, if so, then how do differing weapon speeds affect the series (the faster weapon would eventually catch up to the slower, or be waiting on it)?

Thanks again for the quick replies.
Reply Quote
05/30/2012 04:05 PMPosted by OaXlin
http://blackrabbit2999.blogspot.com/2012/05/diablo-3-game-mechanics-complete-guide.html

Wow, great link. Thanks very much for that!
Reply Quote
Has that always been the case? I always thought weapons attacked in parallel, not in series. Kirby, if so, then how do differing weapon speeds affect the series (the faster weapon would eventually catch up to the slower, or be waiting on it)?

Thanks again for the quick replies.

If you open up your advanced character tab and hold shift while attacking you will notice that your attack speed actually alternates between the two weapons if one has increased attack speed. My main hand has a slight attack speed increase and I notice my attack speed alternates from about 2.22 to 2.02 every other attack.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]