Diablo® III

Life Leech / Tank Build

This worked for me on hell no problem and now in inferno it's working great as well. There are a few special mobs in inferno that I have issues with (and were hard in hell but not impossible). If you do die, you can always come back and finish things off. If you play with a little more care you can kite and come back.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#aRgVfT!Xbe!bcYbbZ

Thoughts?

I've solo'd Diablo in hell without moving around much...Yes, as a result, I got picked up twice. So then I started moving to avoid the bone cages. However, I didn't use a single health potion or health shrine.

Things to keep in mind. You need good gear. Good resists. Good dex for dmg and dodge...And above all you need items that give you bonus to discipline. You need at least one bonus of 8-10... I have dual 1H crossbows one with +9 discipline and one with +10. Between this and preparation you can sit there blanketing yourself with shadow power until the boss/mob is dead.

I'm still playing around with switching some things...Also finding some life leech bows (my bows did NOT have life leech on them). And some other things... I'm also thinking about sharpshooter passive skill despite the gear I have giving me 30% crit chance... I was hoping the crits giving chance to restore 1 discipline would help...But so far it seems like that's a REALLY low chance... So I kinda have a passive skill slot up in the air.
Reply Quote
oh and I never bring a follower... do they help at all? do any of what they have get applied to you?? or just the magic find?
Edited by JitWeasel#1864 on 5/31/2012 12:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
In Inferno, you're just going to run out of Disc all day. Unless you can maintain with Night Stalker and Preparation, you're as good as gone. I suggest dropping Vengeance for Sharpshooter to ensure more Disc gain.

EDIT: Followers grant 1/5 of their MF/GF. If you want that, go for it. I always bring mine along because I've gotten them to level 60 and I'm just sticking my random gear on them. The stuff that's high dps but unsellable. E.g. 900 dps 2h on my Enchantress because they're worth about 10k now.
Edited by WolfRaven#1117 on 5/31/2012 12:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
What act are you in?

Act 1 of Inferno is NOTHING compared to act 2.
Reply Quote
05/31/2012 12:57 PMPosted by JitWeasel
oh and I never bring a follower... do they help at all? do any of what they have get applied to you?? or just the magic find?

Yes followers help you a lot. Use them always if you are solo. An Enchantress with CC spells doesn't need to be geared and preforms well (while alive).

You don't need any resist at all. You should play not to get hit, outside of act 1, you will be one/two shotted instagibs from lickers in act 3 and oppressors/angels/terror demons in act 4.

Leech is good for reflecting mobs, that's it. 40-50 discipline is solid, I wouldn't recommend at the cost of a lot of dps, but if the trade off isn't too big, or you need to play defensively, go ahead and take the extra discipline.
Edited by Iria#1341 on 5/31/2012 1:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
What act are you in?

Act 1, but it's not hard. So we'll see what happens I guess. I just found this tank setup real good so far. Probably the best setup I've played with for DH. I have a bunch of items with resist to all so my resists are like 25-30% on everything on top of dodge of 30% on top of 40% dmg reduction from armor on top of dmg reduction rune in shadow power of 65% on top of the life leech...

I might try the sharpshooter skill and play around a bit... Good suggestion there (@Shyster) I don't run out of discipline before the mob is dead...And that's really the key. If I do, I hit preparation and that second load of discipline is typically enough to last.

My overall damage rating is 13,332.45 ... Two bows with over 500 dps. I'm looking to increase this though.
Edited by JitWeasel#1864 on 5/31/2012 1:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Hmm... ok so I wonder what the build is to not get hit then?? I mean you can't just use vault all the time because of wallers and things that immobilize you... What's a good dodge chance?? I'm at 30% (maybe more 31 tops)
Reply Quote
What act are you in?

Act 1, but it's not hard. So we'll see what happens I guess. I just found this tank setup real good so far. Probably the best setup I've played with for DH. I have a bunch of items with resist to all so my resists are like 25-30% on everything on top of dodge of 30% on top of 40% dmg reduction from armor on top of dmg reduction rune in shadow power of 65% on top of the life leech...

I might try the sharpshooter skill and play around a bit... Good suggestion there (@Shyster) I don't run out of discipline before the mob is dead...And that's really the key. If I do, I hit preparation and that second load of discipline is typically enough to last.

My overall damage rating is 13,332.45 ... Two bows with over 500 dps. I'm looking to increase this though.
Act 2 gets...well it gets a lot harder, like you wouldn't believe the comparison, it's so stupid. I don't know if you face tanking mobs in Act 1, but that will not work in act 2, pick up steady aim.

05/31/2012 01:08 PMPosted by JitWeasel
Hmm... ok so I wonder what the build is to not get hit then?? I mean you can't just use vault all the time because of wallers and things that immobilize you... What's a good dodge chance?? I'm at 30% (maybe more 31 tops)
I'm at <40% dodge chance, you don't want to rely on dodge. Use caltrops tort rune. I'd say it's absolutely needed because fast mobs, even when slowed, go faster than you. It's silly really. Your caltrops can actually stop them for longer than a slow and are fairly cheap. Maybe if you had numbing traps combined with your spec, you may be able to somewhat face tank through at 2, but you should get into the groove of not getting hit.
Edited by Iria#1341 on 5/31/2012 1:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I switched up evasive fire to caltrops with jagged spikes and put the passive skill on numbing traps.

That now reduces their dmg by 25% (on top of all the other things I have and life leech) as well as lets me do more damage to them. Going to play with that for a while.

Mobs are hard. Single bosses of any kind are not. Maybe I just gotta switch up my style a bit and kite more or simply bypass certain mobs...
Reply Quote
updated: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#aRgVYT!Vbe!bcYbbZ

and also i have 56 discipline i was wrong about how much i had... i forgot the cape hid some =) I have room for I think about +3 more discipline if I find the right gear... i don't "always" use the shadow power by the way (i know i said i spam it), if i'm at a distance not taking a lot of dmg i of course don't use it.

it's simply for up close unavoidable situations.

so caltrops for avoiding? any other things to avoid? is vault completely useless now?
Edited by JitWeasel#1864 on 5/31/2012 1:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
What about getting the turret with 15% Damage reduction to make you even more of a tank? I feel like evasive fire isn't terribly useful, and you might benefit more from the turret constant DPS and damage reduction

(Ahh, I see you replaced that with caltrops already. A solid choice too)
Edited by Lollz#1296 on 5/31/2012 1:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Vault is useful if you have Tactical advantage, as you can just outrun most mobs, shoot back, rinse and repeat, but without tactical advantage it's not nearly as useful
Reply Quote
hmmm turret... that's a good idea because it also does damage back.. i'll try that instead of caltrops next. or maybe over the companion??? hmm
Reply Quote
too much micro heh, it did help but i put back the companion. keeping a turret up and caltrops and shadow power and preparation when needed and health. lots of button pressing at the exact right time... plus less tentacles that bat helped a LOT.
Reply Quote
i had 500+ resist all and about 60% reduction from my armor alone, still got instant gibbed once i got in act 3, the resist still is nice for lower acts but wont work for endgame.
Reply Quote
so what do people do then? all the other builds i've seen dont do anything for survival... just for dmg which i dont know this does too plus dmg comes from buying good items...

has anyone completed inferno??
Reply Quote
One of the turrets runes regens 1% max health/second.
Reply Quote
ya i saw that. thought about it too. i'm wondering if life stolen PER HIT is better than %...

though i gotta say the shadow power with gloom is really restoring life FAST. i'm left to wonder if maybe i just need more vitality i dont know.. how do avoid the one hit kill thing... and only certain elite mobs are problematic... so far it's like 50/50 i guess. all else is fine.

i solo'd the skeleton king fine in inferno. the only thing was i couldnt stay still he hits too hard. i had to move around and ensure anytime he might hit me i had shadow power on. or full health. i had just a tiny bit after a hit from him, quickly recovered by health potion, globes, preparation or the shadow power life leech with the nether tentacles... so doable just gotta move around a bit.
Edited by JitWeasel#1864 on 5/31/2012 5:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
so what do people do then? all the other builds i've seen dont do anything for survival... just for dmg which i dont know this does too plus dmg comes from buying good items...

has anyone completed inferno??

they kite and dodge and door tank and kill things as fast as they can when it's safe to do so.
Reply Quote
Life on Hit is superior to Lifesteal in Inferno due to a reduction of like 70-80% on Lifesteal that is not applied to Life on Hit.

This guy seems to do fairly well tanking in Act2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4xfEav9oBI
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]